DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Sep 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #888 of 2,125
Today I was listening to the 901 with the new FW with discrete amp card and my NT6 with Beat Oslo II cable...well as much as I like the RWAK240, well the 901 remains my best sounding DAP. So impressive everytime. Even if the Hugo is technically superior, the 901 has that something.

so would you say that the 901 with discrete card is better than the Tera?

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #889 of 2,125

so would you say that the 901 with discrete card is better than the Tera?

Pending Mimouille's reply, I'm not entirely sure about the ambit of this question - are you speaking from the perspective of pure SQ or are you talking the enjoyment one gets from a nice organic sig? The reason is the Tera Player is a very different creature from the other DAPs.  
atsmile.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #893 of 2,125
901 is technically more proficient but I can have as much pleasure with the Tera in some pairings. Also the Tera is 1/4 the size and had no screen and much less power...so apples and cucumbers really.

+1

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #894 of 2,125
901 is technically more proficient but I can have as much pleasure with the Tera in some pairings. Also the Tera is 1/4 the size and had no screen and much less power...so apples and cucumbers really.

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by more proficient? I currently have a hm 601 that people describe as analog like (to a degree I get what they mean) but I feel like a some regions are I exaggerated, lot of detail is hidden, dynamics and extension could be better (quick note I am NOT saying that the tera is the same as the hm 601 just saying that I'm confused as to why people describe it as analog)

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #896 of 2,125
Tomorrow my Hugo arrives.  I am pretty excited.  It will mainly serve in my home stereo while I sell my stereo DAC and try to figure out what is next.  That being said, I did buy Drew's Toslink cable too so I could check out the the goodness from my AK240.  

As it stands, I have the AK240, Hugo and RSA amp...I could use all 3 or any combination really.  I am eager to experiment over the coming weeks.

In the meantime, my yellow ease case came in for my AK240 today.  Here is a picture.  Put on your sunglasses :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #898 of 2,125
The analogue assuptions about P1 are not correct, if anything it sounds similar to AK240 imho.at the current price of £740 this dap is the killer of them all so far

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #899 of 2,125
Pending Mimouille's reply, I'm not entirely sure about the ambit of this question - are you speaking from the perspective of pure SQ or are you talking the enjoyment one gets from a nice organic sig? The reason is the Tera Player is a very different creature from the other DAPs.  :atsmile:

Yeah I was just talking about which is more enjoyable to listen (just saw your post! Use to get emails when someone responded to my post don't know what happen). I like the 901 when I heard it out of some th900 but the sound was like technically good but felt clinical/analytical compared to the ak240 however the soundstage and instrument seperation was way better. The tera intrigues me as I do enjoy vinyl and tube amps but I never heard one so I was curious about it

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #900 of 2,125
Yeah I was just talking about which is more enjoyable to listen (just saw your post! Use to get emails when someone responded to my post don't know what happen). I like the 901 when I heard it out of some th900 but the sound was like technically good but felt clinical/analytical compared to the ak240 however the soundstage and instrument seperation was way better. The tera intrigues me as I do enjoy vinyl and tube amps but I never heard one so I was curious about it

Haha! No worries. Well, I agree with Mimouille that the Tera Player is very enjoyable. As to whether it approximates the sig of vinyl, you should have a listen yourself. What I can say is that the Tera Player gives me the same sort of pleasure as I used to get years ago from vinyl, when there were only tube amps. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back