DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Sep 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #871 of 2,125
Same here. Sound-wise I can appreciate M's tuning and even enjoy some tracks with it but it was the form factor (mainly) and battery life/UI (less so) that prevented me from getting it. It is more unwieldy (taller/wider) than the hm901. Or at least it's what I m keeping telling myself to avoid spending more in another DAP
biggrin.gif

...and would you consider to RW your AK240?

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #872 of 2,125
Or maybe that's why I like the AK240 more as my home system is leaned towards studio monitor (or you may say clinical) with high details (good to have the Meitner MA1 to which very musical that helps the overall balance) and the home system is my reference to any head gear for me.

Should Tera can re-tune its output impedance it could be the ultimate DAP.  I've found somehow it lacks a bit of dynamics and if Charles can give it a bit more punch and it will be perfect.  That's the reason why I always hook up my Vorzuge Duo to isolate Tera's weaknesses mentioned above.
The Tera's dynamics are fine with some pairings such as Ref1.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #873 of 2,125
...and would you consider to RW your AK240?

Nah... to be honest the ak240 is spending more time as a transport than a DAP these days, plus I do enjoy the stock signature.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #874 of 2,125
Nah... to be honest the ak240 is spending more time as a transport than a DAP these days, plus I do enjoy the stock signature.

Then you can't put it in your pocket (naked) like you did in the past LOL.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #875 of 2,125
My couple weeks into my AK240-

Soundstage-  I am still enchanted by the expansive soundstage.  I honestly feel like the sound moved another 12 inches further out vs. my previous setup.

Resolution-  I hear music detail retrieval that was previously lost outside of my home stereo. A great example is Fiona Apple Tidal. She is close the microphone and the music is closer to my home 2 channel setup. So I get a sense of soundstage and intimacy with the presentation.

Amp Section- My SE846s needs the AK240 + RSA amp to get the full magic.  I can see 846 owners looking for the RWAK upgrade.  The bass response fullness and tightness are improved.  With my W60s...not much difference and they sound great. I have to think the K10 and W60s are organically a better fit.  I am not saying others won't fit but they may require additional architecture.

Annoyance- I wish it had a physical power-off.  The damn thing turns on by itself in my pocket. It is not until it gets warm that I notice that it decided to play music by itself. It does this magically so I don't blame it.  Mental note, press power button for a couple seconds until you get option to power down.

Finally, I listened to the Calyx M a second time.  SE846, W60, HD800 and LCD x. I absolutely hate it. I am sorry but it is true. It is like listening to a circus.  Volume control on sensitive IEMs is like a hairpin trigger on a sniper rifle.  The LCD sounded OKAY but nothing compared to even my RSA amp.  The HD800 sounded at its worst.  It was like an anemic model.  You understand what they are trying to do but you want to offer it something to eat...very thin and shrill sounding.  Soundstage did not impress.  These are simply a reflection of my opinion and in no way are intended to be sold as fact...YMMV.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #876 of 2,125
@M Coupe That was the point I was trying to make before about the Calyx M -- depending what you are used to it can either sound great or not so much. 

Which RSA amp do you have by the way? 

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #877 of 2,125
  My couple weeks into my AK240-

Amp Section- My SE846s needs the AK240 + RSA amp to get the full magic.  I can see 846 owners looking for the RWAK upgrade.  The bass response fullness and tightness are improved.  With my W60s...not much difference and they sound great. I have to think the K10 and W60s are organically a better fit.  I am not saying others won't fit but they may require additional architecture.

Are you using the balanced out?

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #878 of 2,125
quick question, i just auditioned both zx1 and f887. is it just me but my ears can't tell the difference between the 2. can anyone confirm or give their comments between the 2? but to be fair, both units have different tracks loaded, i have no idea what format or bitrate was used with the test tracks.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #880 of 2,125
Did anybody compared AK240 with Mezzo AK120 direct from dap (no amp)?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716707/mezzo-hifi-new-ak120-ak100-mods-wm8741-in-software-mode/75#post_10821239

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #882 of 2,125
  quick question, i just auditioned both zx1 and f887. is it just me but my ears can't tell the difference between the 2. can anyone confirm or give their comments between the 2? but to be fair, both units have different tracks loaded, i have no idea what format or bitrate was used with the test tracks.

OK-Guy said it several times in the ZX1's thread: according to him, there is no sonic difference between the 2.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #883 of 2,125
Hi Fi World (UK Audio mag) reviewed the ZX1 and said that it's almost identical to the F886...I'm not sure if that's similar to the f887 or not.  Their tech report shows that the volume output is very low on this unit and it also has a low dynamic range.  Coupled to no external memory support and no DSD support (I believe a firmware update allows it to have the latter) doesn't make it great value imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back