DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Sep 7, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #812 of 2,125
Like I said, he heard a prototype at a show, so nobody has it yet. If you want to call him a shill, go right ahead....no need to *****foot around it.

I'd buy one if it sounds excellent. The price is ok. Good luck with your preorder. Cheers

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #813 of 2,125
  The Tera is more "rounded" or smoother than my stock 240.  The other side of the coin is that Tera is less wide in terms of sound stage and less in micro details.

240 is much more analytical and with more power at the low end (might be the case of lower output impedance).  240 is more skill towards digital (only when compared to Tera) than analogue (like Tera).

I've found to amp (using Vorzuge Duo, Tralucent uber interconnector) Tera would get better result with more punch and better overall balance without losing the analogue feel of the DAP. 

Quick Q, flymetothemoon, when you use the IC to connect the Tera to an amp, you can use either headphone outlets? Anything else that you need to do on the side of the Tera?

Thanks in advance! 
atsmile.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #814 of 2,125

If you are referring to the X5, the line out bypasses the internal amp and is not influenced by the volume control.

By not influenced by volume control, you mean even if I attempt to change the digital volume, the Fiio's proprietary OS will not allow me to and grey out the option?

How about the X3? I noticed it has a line output jack on the bottom.

When an external amp is plugged into the line output of the fiio x3, will it also not be influenced by the volume control. 

I always thought on the x3 and x5, well until now that the line-out was from the 3.5mm headphone jack hence double amping.

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #816 of 2,125
  By not influenced by volume control, you mean even if I attempt to change the digital volume, the Fiio's proprietary OS will not allow me to and grey out the option?

I mean that you can continue to adjust the volume in the firmware but it will have no influence on the line out volume. This is actually handy. If you switch back and forth between the headphone out and the line out, you can leave the HP volume as it is.

How about the X3? I noticed it has a line output jack on the bottom.

When an external amp is plugged into the line output of the fiio x3, will it also not be influenced by the volume control. 

I am only discussing the X5 - never used the X3.

I always thought on the x3 and x5, well until now that the line-out was from the 3.5mm headphone jack hence double amping.

Re X5: You were wrong. It is a separate line out jack.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #821 of 2,125
1.7Vrms
Line level output level. Are you planning to amp your X3? Sorry i didnt read all youe previous messages. U can also email Fiio before buy.

Yes plan to amp my x3 when I purchase it. 

But what does line level output level mean though? 

A lot daps from different companies claims to have line-out, then how come the volume output varies when using the same amp. Shouldn't it be the same?

I've never understood this.  

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #822 of 2,125
Snohomish
  Not trying to argue with you but if the volume is adjustable in the firmware how can there be no influence on the line out volume?
Doesn't it mean the internal amp of the x5 is playing a part thus not 100% bypassing it? 

Sorry I don't quite understand

No problem. It means the opposite. Adjusting the volume in the firmware affects the amp's volume. Since the line out bypasses the X5's amp, adjusting volume in the firmware does not affect the line out volume.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #823 of 2,125
  Snohomish
No problem. It means the opposite. Adjusting the volume in the firmware affects the amp's volume. Since the line out bypasses the X5's amp, adjusting volume in the firmware does not affect the line out volume.

So sound wise would be the some if: 
- the volume pot on the external amp set to 1, and digital volume set to 4
or
- external amp volume set 4 and digital volume set to 1

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #824 of 2,125
You ask lots of questions fungus.
biggrin.gif
 The manual states the amp is bypassed with the use of line out.  I personally do not know how the volume control is done.  Sure, the adjustment is done via software, but is there an analog attenuator there or is it done digitally in the DAC and that being amplifed?  If the line out is constantly outputting 1.5V then I would think there is an analog attenuator somewhere in the path.  I believe ipods had analog attenuators, and line out voltage was constant out of the bottom connector.  DX90's line out level is controlled digitally by the firmware volume control unlike the X5.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #825 of 2,125
  So sound wise would be the some if: 
- the volume pot on the external amp set to 1, and digital volume set to 4
or
- external amp volume set 4 and digital volume set to 1

I don't mean to be excessively critical but you really are not too quick on the uptake. The line out volume never changes. What part of that do you find difficult to comprehend?

(I am finished trying to explain. It is the sour taste of defeat for me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back