DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Sep 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #796 of 2,125
I really think the x7 will be something very special. The X3 is quite good, I feel one of the best values out there. Fiio does an amazing job for the prices they charge.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the X7's performance.

I'm rooting for FiiO, but competition for top SQ among DAPs will definitely be fierce.
(esp. when the Geek Wave XD 128 comes out next year)

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #797 of 2,125
  Is the amp section of the x5 identical to the fiio x3? 

I heard the x3 amp section on high gain will have higher output volume. Is this true?

Also can the battery for both be easily replaced (soldered on the circuit board/accessible by removing a few screws of the case)? 

Different amp topologies, but the power output before clipping is about the same for both so they should output same amount of volume.  They are not easy to take apart like the DX90(back panel slide off) as they are unibody.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #798 of 2,125
  Different amp topologies, but the power output before clipping is about the same for both so they should output same amount of volume.  They are not easy to take apart like the DX90(back panel slide off) as they are unibody.

There's clipping near maximum volume? I'm shocked! 

I would have thought Fiio would limit the volume before clipping occurs.

So I guess line-out is function is rendered useless as the volume needs to be set to maximum. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #799 of 2,125

So I guess line-out is function is rendered useless as the volume needs to be set to maximum. 

I think you are misunderstanding what I've said. All amps clip at a certain point. Check out the amp distortion curves here.  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllAmpsJuly2013.pdf

At the clipping voltage THD rises sharply vertically.

All products will spec max power output, but they don't tell you at what % distortion.  That's more important for SS amps since it the point when the amp section will clip at a voltage depending on the load impedance.  

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #802 of 2,125

If you are referring to the X5, the line out bypasses the internal amp and is not influenced by the volume control.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #803 of 2,125

Check out Fiio Alpen.  It's close to 1% THD with low impedance load at very low voltage.  THD graph is pretty informative of how it performs with low impedance phones with this amp. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #804 of 2,125
I have not compared yet but both RWAK240 and Tera sound awesome with it. I have not tried with the 901.

The Tera is more "rounded" or smoother than my stock 240.  The other side of the coin is that Tera is less wide in terms of sound stage and less in micro details.

240 is much more analytical and with more power at the low end (might be the case of lower output impedance).  240 is more skill towards digital (only when compared to Tera) than analogue (like Tera).

I've found to amp (using Vorzuge Duo, Tralucent uber interconnector) Tera would get better result with more punch and better overall balance without losing the analogue feel of the DAP. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #805 of 2,125
  Just curious: How do we know how the Geek Wave will sound like if it's not out yet?  Not trying to be sarcastic.

A couple people have heard a prototype, most notable LFF, the guy who makes the Paradox headphones. He said he was very impressed at first listen, so most are expecting something that competes with the top-tier DAPs.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #806 of 2,125
It's likely MOT/reviewers r good friends, buy stuff cheap from each other and compliment each other. Its best to listen for yourself.

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #808 of 2,125
It's likely MOT/reviewers r good friends, buy stuff cheap from each other and compliment each other. Its best to listen for yourself.

The other person who said they heard it had the same reaction, but yeah trust your own ears and all that jazz.

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #810 of 2,125
Its always a good value DAP when u get it 30/40% less than other people. LoL

Like I said, he heard a prototype at a show, so nobody has it yet. If you want to call him a shill, go right ahead....no need to *****foot around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back