Classical EARPHONES
Aug 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Pattonromell

Head-Fier
I need some classical music earphones under $100. I have the Bose IE2. But, I need somethings with 3/4 ammount of bass, 4/4 treble, and I don't really know mids. That's the best I can describe it.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 70
SE215 will get you what you want, alternatively the Spider Realvoice will also work. The SE215 will have punchier bass the Spider will have slightly boomy but more textured bass and both will be less than the IE2. Both will have much more midrange and they are both midrange oriented IEM's. Both will have better treble than the IE2 with the SE215 being slightly more subdued in comparison to the Spider but also 100% non fatiguing. Personally I find Spider to be slightly harsh as beginning of things like cymbal crashes.

The SE215 is a better IEM for instrument seperation though in my opinion (not a lot but noticeable) so if your listeing to large orchestral pieces with alot of instruments the SE215 may be slightly better for that music.

On the flip side while they both have a good sound stage I do think the Spider is slightly larger with more of feel like your in a concert hall.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 70

Quote:
I need some classical music earphones under $100. I have the Bose IE2. But, I need somethings with 3/4 ammount of bass, 4/4 treble, and I don't really know mids. That's the best I can describe it.

fischer audio silver bullet: these things were made for classical. the soundstage and instrument placement is beyond sublime. 

on another note, i hear that ultimate ear's triple.fi 10's aren't bad either

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 70
I listen to plenty of Classical music and I would NEVER recommend the SE215 for this particular genre - poor recessed treble performance and rather boomy & uncontrolled bass which lacks texture and refinement, mids are quite good, though.

I would highly recommend the EX600, which in the USA can be had for $125 - $140, and it not only performs much better than the SE215, IMO - particularly at both ends of the spectrum ,- but better than quite a few $300 - $400 IEMs. The EX600s, specially with orchestral music, are simply stunning, with the best soundstage & realistic/natural sound I've heard (along with the much more expensive EX1000s). The EX600's replaceable cables are also better than the SE215's where there have been several reports of issues due to the not so great swivel mechanism used in some of the new Shure offerings.

However, if isolation is important, then the SE215s are a better choice, though I'd still look elsewhere as the SE215's sound signature/SQ, IMO, is most definitely not suited for Classical music, and not that great with other genres, either, though not all that bad for $100.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 70
RE0+E5, HJE900, EX510(highely recommended), JVC FX500, TF10Pro(used) and UE700.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 70

Quote:
I listen to plenty of Classical music and I would NEVER recommend the SE215 for this particular genre - poor recessed treble performance and rather boomy & uncontrolled bass which lacks texture and refinement, mids are quite good, though.

I would highly recommend the EX600, which in the USA can be had for $125 - $140, and it not only performs much better than the SE215, IMO - particularly at both ends of the spectrum ,- but better than quite a few $300 - $400 IEMs. The EX600s, specially with orchestral music, are simply stunning, with the best soundstage & realistic/natural sound I've heard (along with the much more expensive EX1000s). The EX600's replaceable cables are also better than the SE215's where there have been several reports of issues due to the not so great swivel mechanism used in some of the new Shure offerings.

However, if isolation is important, then the SE215s are a better choice, though I'd still look elsewhere as the SE215's sound signature/SQ, IMO, is most definitely not suited for Classical music, and not that great with other genres, either, though not all that bad for $100.

Yeah I would like to get the EX600, but I just can't that kind of money sadly. Also, what are the IE2 good for? I am probably going to get Sony Mdr-EX510.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 70

Quote:
Yeah I would like to get the EX600, but I just can't that kind of money sadly. Also, what are the IE2 good for? I am probably going to get Sony Mdr-EX510.

Well, I have the EX500, and the EX510 seems to be very similar, if not the same except it's got different housings and cables - at least they both seem to have the same 13.5mm dynamic driver.

Shame you can't afford the EX600 (specially if you're based in the USA where they're a lot cheaper than in other countries) because you just don't know just how good they are - the EX600 price is definitely misleading, but I also know that $125-$140 is indeed a lot of money for a lot of people. If I were in your position, knowing what I know now, I'd try to wait and save a little and try and get them. Only a year ago there was no IEM with such sound quality that cost $130, or $200-$250 even. Now, if $100 is already too much to begin with, then the EX510 may prove to be a very nice phone, and for all you know even an improvement on the EX500 (though I honestly doubt it).

Just make sure you get the EX510 from an authorised dealer as there are tons of fake Sony/Sennheiser/Bose IEMs being sold on eBay and even by quite a few Amazon Marketplace sellers (ie not directly from Amazon), though I don't know if there are any fake EX510 yet - there are tons of EX700, EX500 & EX300 fakes out there.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 70
My recommendation was within the OP's budget and based on sound improvements based on going from his IE2 which I own as well for situations where I need a lack of isolation and great sound quality is NOT a requirement. While I am in 100% agreement with music_4321 in regards to the treble of the SE215 and even the bass to a degree in comparison to IEM's like the EX600 or in my case the GR07 both the SE215 and the Spider Realvoice will be a significant improvement over the IE2 in my opinion and experience.

While I have not heard this IEM myself, what about the IE7 from Dakmart or the FS forum if you can get them under your budget?

Finally I did not recommend the SE210 because I have not heard them but what I have read suggest they would not meet the OP's requirements for bass based on his numerical values and my experience with the IE2 mainly in he bass department.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 70
^ I personally haven't heard the IE7 but from what I've read - and if they're rightly priced - they may well be a better option then the EX510s. I'd still be very careful about fakes as they're Sennheisers.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 70
The one thing that's easy to forget is where the OP is coming from. In this case their best experience is the IE2 so I am recommending IEM's that are hopefully close to the values they are asking for and an improvement while still in their price range.

BTW the IE7 is mid-centric with alot less bass than the IE8 which is why I mentioned them. But 100% agree with music_4321 about being cautious about fakes , if buying used insist on receipts showing they are from an authorized reseller and avoid EBay unless you know the seller is authorized by checking with Sennheiser. Dakmart is an authorized reseller but has had some issues with good customer service bit has some odd good deals like the IE7 that make it worth dealing with them.

One more option if bass not a big thing for the OP might be the RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back