Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #29,176 of 35,472
They look really, really nice. However out of almost anyones price-range. And looking at the QT5, SW3 or even Master 6 from Trinity, I don't see any reason on why I'd on jump these. Speaking of Master 6: Vince have you heard the prototype of the Master 6 and if so, how do they stack up? Also, how's the isolation on both?

I sent the master6 back a while ago. I don't want to comment on that at the moment because I would be going off of memory and have only had the SIRIUS for a few hours.

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #29,180 of 35,472
WOW. The Shockwave III is $233.60 on Easy Store by the cellphone app . It´s a bargain. 
beerchug.gif

My hand started to shake

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #29,181 of 35,472
  That Fidue looks absolutely fantastic and I love Fidue, but I'm seeing a $700+ preorder price. It would really need to outshine the QT5 in every area for me to make that jump.

Looking forward to more impressions on it.

gonna be 900 USD afaik - really interesting to see how it sounds. Will be a real test for the likes of QT5, D2 and the Rose Pudding/BR5 and how they compare to the new Fidue.

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #29,183 of 35,472
You're stepping into a deep rabbit-hole with these things:wink:

You can get some good NOS tubes for reasonable prices. Most of the ones I currently own cost ~$20 a pop

I'm stuck at the bottom of that hole. I recall buying a matched set of NOS 300B's for $350 smack-o-las:confused: They sure sounded sweet though:flushed:

:beers:

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #29,184 of 35,472
Sure looks nice but I almost think the Ibasso D14 is a better choice for its sleek design.

Hmm interesting combo indeed when reading the reviews on the IBasso I am quite impressed but does the TK12 really stand up to the challenge? Is there no other IEM at this price range to take a look at?

Also are we really looking for portable to be used on my PC? I wont need a portable DAC. Also to explain further is this PC -> XXXX -> Headphones so no special sound card or anything since it wont fit.  

The D14 says portable but honestly it is too big for that. It's perfect for dedicated desktop use. I've also read it's best used as a DAC instead of just Amp section. Just plug in via USB, download drivers from iBasso site and install. It has a Line Out also for external computer speakers, I use it for my Logitech 2.1

I've only heard the TK12 and 13 in that price range. I heard the LZA2s is good too but not many reviews.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #29,185 of 35,472
It was because of a write-up about another in-ear where I talked about the Ivery IS-1 in a quite disrespectful manner and entitled it as the worst sounding in-ear I have ever heard - bloated and muddy, control-lacking bass with muffled mids and treble -, when fellow Head-Fier @1clearhead reached out to me and told me that there were actually two versions of the IS-1, one named "HIPUT" and the other "Liberty", with one being crap and the other audibly better. I checked my order from mp4nation from a few years back and it said "Liberty", but what I had received was the bad sounding "HIPUT" version that is not only differently tuned but has also got a different driver and slightly different shape. I was quite surprised when I realised that the version I got was actually the bad one and that two different versions are existing, as I hadn't read about that on the web.
He then generously offered me to send me his 2nd set of the better "Liberty" version of the IS-1 and it arrived some time back. Thanks, buddy! 
beerchug.gif

So for your reference, this is what the bad "HIPUT" version's package looks like:

And below is the better sounding "Liberty" version of the IS-1:

Totally different packaging. Totally.

I then listened to the Liberty version ad indeed, it was quite differently tuned and was noticeably better on the technical side, compared to the bad sounding IS-1 "HIPUT".

So about the technical differences first (I'll get to the sound signature in a moment), the "Liberty" is much better controlled, quicker in the bass, has got the better detail retrieval and superior instrument separation. While the "HIPUT" is bad and muddy, even for $10, the "Liberty" is better and on the technical side, I would say it is as good as the Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition, which I find to be a little better than the KZ ED9.

Moving to the tonality, there is quite of a difference: the "Liberty" does not have that less compared t the "HIPUT", but it does not spill into the mids and reaches its climax much lower, namely around 30 Hz - so it is a sub-bassy in-ear whereas the "HIPUT" focuses on lower root and midbass. As it peaks at lower frequency and is tighter, it is definitely less obtrusive. While the "HIPUT" has overshadowed and very warm mids, the "Liberty"'s are the total opposite and are on the bright, sibilant side. Treble is quite forward. No, it is excessively forward. In fact, it is the most obtrusive and brightest treble I have ever come across. Measurements indicate treble quantity to be identical with the bass's, which is more than 15 dB. Even though I really like bright headphones at times, the "Liberty" is just too much up there, even for me.
A workaround is either to use very deep insertion (impossible for many people), foam tips (well, in this case they will only be of little help) or to do it like me and to a cloth/tissue mod: cut out a small circle of tissue, place it on the nozzle. Voilà, already much better. Taking a small piece of additional tissue, balling it up and placing it in the tip then smooths out the treble and makes it finally sound even and not overly bright (one should only make sure to ball both pieces up with identical density, else it causes imbalance).

So with mod, the better IS-1 "Liberty" version is a relatively nice sub-bassy in-ear on a very tight budget with smooth or slightly bright treble (depends on how it is modded). Unmodded however, while it is technically good, its treble is just too bright and obtrusive. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #29,187 of 35,472
For X2 you need only amp.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #29,188 of 35,472
Does X2 have SPDIF/coaxial out ? If it does, then he can use X2 as transport player :wink:

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #29,190 of 35,472
  It was because of a write-up about another in-ear where I talked about the Ivery IS-1 in a quite disrespectful manner and entitled it as the worst sounding in-ear I have ever heard - bloated and muddy, control-lacking bass with muffled mids and treble -, when fellow Head-Fier @1clearhead reached out to me and told me that there were actually two versions of the IS-1

Haha he is one unlucky guy I guess, first clone of Sendiy M2 and now Ivery IS-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back