Check Out The Head-Fi Summer 2012 Buying Guide!
Jul 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #16 of 164
Nice presentation, good work Jude!
Just want to point something out, the inserted comment from user MuppetFace in the Fit Ear MH 334 it's not related to the custom version pictured.
I believe that comment is indeed for the universal version of it, the Fit Ear To Go 334.
They're twin brothers, but...

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 164
Quote:
Nice presentation, good work Jude!
Just want to point something out, the inserted comment from user MuppetFace in the Fit Ear MH 334 it's not related to the custom version pictured.
I believe that comment is indeed for the universal version of it, the Fit Ear To Go 334.
They're twin brothers, but...

Thanks for the feedback, Vitor! Yes, I know (regarding her quote), but given the dearth of MH334 reviews, I wanted to include that one, as it seemed related enough (and close enough to it) for now. If more of the MH334 custom-fit reviews are posted before the holiday update, I'll change this up.

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 164
Constructive criticism I can offer is font, font size and layouts that challenge legibility, especially on-screen reading. Looking modern is apt for the product lines shown, but perhaps not at the expense of easy reading. The pdf format, with no printing costs, allows long documents. Information can sprawl out a little more and not be as compressed. The present layout requires a large screen, something that not everyone has.

As a corollary, I do signage as a profession and I see signs all the time that look like they cost a lot of money, but do the owner a disservice. There's no bang for the buck when the expensive, beautifully made sign is hard to read, or it's message too copious for the typical gait of the passing audience.

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #20 of 164
Quote:

Regarding user-friendliness of the format: We'll await more feedback, but can reevaluate how its laid out and formatted.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I like the separation of different headphone categories similar to how Tyll from InnerFidelity organized his "Wall of Fame" article (e.g. open-back and closed-back circumaurals, open-back and closed-back supra-aurals, in-ear earphones and custom IEM's, etc.). I was honestly looking for LCD-3 under the "Headphones Over-Ear" section when it was actually near the very end in the Summit-Fi section.

As of right now, the guide is pretty good if one is just browsing for new gear in general (such as myself), but I think it can be made better with more, better defined, categories. The one/two-page ads were also a bit confusing when they were put right next to category-changing page, but it's an ad, I can't expect too much change since it's standard in nearly all magazines.

Also, I think the featured articles/gear should be mentioned in consistent places in the guide (e.g. at the beginning or end of each category, all at the beginning, all at the end). It was confusing to see a black featured article page at the end of the "Headphones Over-Ear" category (over-ear as in circumaural? that's what comes to mind when I see over-ear, as opposed to on-ear) and another black page immediately following for the featured headphone in the "Gaming Headsets" category.

More feedback, I like the creativity with colours and fonts, but some fonts are hard to read. For example, it took me a good 20 seconds (or more) to figure out what the wording was on page 44 in the guide. I thought it said "rahlpc"....and yes...I did type that in Google because I had no idea what "rahlpc" was.
I'm probably the only one who thought this though. I'm not much of a cabling guy. >.>

On page 45, underneath the page number, I misread "headphone cables" as "headphone gooies"

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #21 of 164
I found this something really enjoyable to read, but not extremely helpful.
hope you could include the genres of music you think the headphones might perform best in.
I am only a few months into personal audio and I think this guide is very newbie friendly!

Great job! Jude 

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #24 of 164
Looks great, noted a couple of typos, was writing them and... power went out, deleted my post! LOL. Anyway, well done Jude!

P.S. just noted a pricing typo for the NuForce DAC-100... it shows the price of the Icon HDP.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #28 of 164
Thanks Jude, whenever someone asks tor a headphone recommendation, I'll show them this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back