Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
May 4, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #256 of 564
If you don't listen critically, they'll be fun right out of the box, could tend more toward the harsh, as most new headphones do before they settle down, but overall, lots of fun. Then when they settle down you can put your critical ears on.

May 6, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #257 of 564
I listened to my DT990's a few minutes ago and they sounded horrible!
I was initially very impressed with them out of the box, but they seem to have taken a turn for the worse for some reason.
They have been burning in with pink noise since I got them yesterday. They have about 26 hours of burn-in on them at this point.
A few minutes ago they sounded extremely bright, sibilant, and voices had an unnatural metallic, piercing quality to them.
The bass was also very boomy and unatural.
Is this normal?
My 880's sounded much more natural, relaxed, and tonally even than the 990's today.
Please tell me these bad qualities will go away with time.
If so, how long should it take?
confused.gif

May 6, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #258 of 564
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to my DT990's a few minutes ago and they sounded horrible!
I was initially very impressed with them out of the box, but they seem to have taken a turn for the worse for some reason.
They have been burning in with pink noise since I got them yesterday. They have about 26 hours of burn-in on them at this point.
A few minutes ago they sounded extremely bright, sibilant, and voices had an unnatural metallic, piercing quality to them.
The bass was also very boomy and unatural.
Is this normal?
My 880's sounded much more natural, relaxed, and tonally even than the 990's today.
Please tell me these bad qualities will go away with time.
If so, how long should it take?
confused.gif

Umm...Wait a sec............................................... ......................

Leme check.........Nope..... mine still sound great
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps~

May 6, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #259 of 564
LOL! Yeah, mine too
smily_headphones1.gif
Really great, in fact.

May 6, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #261 of 564
Maybe my Creek OBH-11SE is to blame for the sound?

May 6, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #265 of 564
Not got another one at the moment.
Got a Heed CanAmp coming in Monday.
I hope that it is ok with the 990's and my other cans, especially after reading in another thread how much better the GS-1 sounds than it does!
Seems like I can't win for loosing.

May 6, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #266 of 564
congratulations to new owners of the cans!!! im pretty sure ur making love to them right now eh? hahahah

@daltonlanny
i think ur the 2nd person ive read here on headfi whos complained about burning in Beyers with pink noise.

the other dude complained his DT880 lost its bass after burning in overnight. dont know what happened after that though...never heard any follow ups on the issue

either way...u have 2 options...

1/ be patient.
2/ burn in with music instead of pink noise

as for the beyer/opera owners...im looking at each and everyone of ur sigs with very very very envious eyes. that damn thing HAD to be priced at USD$1k... buying the thing alone would blow my credit card...dammit. anyone kind enough to donate?
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #267 of 564
FWIW, I did not like the Creek headphone amp at all. Try burning them in for 100 hours at least, and then see if you are happy. If not, I'd suggest replacing the Creek before replacing the DT990.

May 6, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #268 of 564
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so glad you like them. I am not surprised. DT990 + Meier Opera = Headphone Heaven!

would DT990 + Aria also = headphone heaven? or at least close to it?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #269 of 564
Certainly the DT990 + Aria is a very good combo, yes. I do prefer the Opera with the DT990, though, not only because it's a better amp in general, but it also has a slightly warmer sonic signature than the Aria, which is good for the DT990.

May 6, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #270 of 564
Hello! has you guys tried the dt990 32ohms model with a portable, does it work well? From what I can see here, there shouldn't be a noticable difference between 32 and 250ohms, in such case I will go for the 32Ohms. Have any of you tried to A/B them? Has anyone maybe tried them with X-can v3? Oh I want to buy them now! Please let them be as good as I think!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back