Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2006 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 564

fatko

500+ Head-Fier
I love the DT990s because i finally realized the importance of bass to play Classical and Jazz .

Meanwhile, the Mid and Highs are still here and it doesnt laid-back.

Mids is not recessed as the old one and i love the Vocals by 990s.

And listen to this headphone let me think of my sold Alessandro MPRO.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 564
oh man, I can't wait to get mine
frown.gif
Hopefully by this weekend I will have them.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 564
They are surely a Jewel of a phone (especially for those of us lucky ones who got in to the B&H deal).

I seem to like them more every day...

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 564
I've demoed quite a few headphones, AKG 701s, Senn HD600s, Audiotechnica A700s, quite a few grado's and a various assortment of IEMs but I keep going back to the DT990 for favorite sound! So naturally out of the phones I've heard, the 990s were the cans I bought and everyday I'm surprised by what they can do.

Not to mention I got them for a steal of a price. (thanks B&H!) Yea..you could say I appreciate them!
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 564
Does anyone else feel the highs are a little 'shrill' sometimes. It may be my material though. But sometimes I feel that way.

The bass is really nice and clear and full and don't seem to overpower the mids to my untrained ear. And the highs are definitely there.

Nice and airy although I think my amp (hornet - unmodified) may be congesting the soundstage.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 564
i think the Highs is so far so good, just listened to it 3 hours, and i remember how Shrill is the high from a new K701.

DT990 does well in Highs even in a brand new condition

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 564
These headphones turned out to be a lot more than I had expected. Fun as all get out, without sacrificing much at all in terms of refinement and technical superiority. Of course, the comfort and build quality leaves nothing to be desired. I'd actually say they're worth $400, so the B&H deal was more like highway robbery.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 564
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
I am wondering why new DT990 is more popular than new DT880.
Is it mostly because of that sale that B&H had on them?

Beyerdynamic now considers their DT990 to be their top of the line headphone, above the DT880.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 564
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Beyerdynamic now considers their DT990 to be their top of the line headphone, above the DT880.

I am not so sure about that:
From Beyer web site:
Quote:

DT 880 Edition 2005
Order ID: 481.793

If anything of the legendary DT 880 could have been improved, it has been realised with this version. This top headphone combines the strengths of open and closed headphones. The complete sound spectrum is reproduced in detail from the deepest sub bass to the highest highs. This semi-open, dynamic headphone is also manufactured in Germany.

Features

Very linear sound
Excellent sound location
Ambient sound is attenuated, but can be still perceived (semi-open design)

And
Quote:

DT 990 Edition 2005
Order ID: 481.807

The new sophisticated DT 990 is a headphone for enthusiasts and will satisfy you with a perfect sound and comfort. The use of high-quality material and the distinctive design underline the standard of a high end model. The headphone is still handcrafted in Germany warranting a high quality.

Features

Analytical and high-resolution audio reproduction
Strong bass and treble
Lightest headphone of its class

There was a post a while ago discussing all these differences and which model is considered higher.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 564
Great headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've sold mine because I feel the highs rise a bit too much for my tastes, but otherwise I must admit that it's a truly high class headphone.

bye
Andrew

Ps. don't look at prices, Beyer has three top headphones, one for each driver loading, closed, semi-open and open. All three (770, 880 and 990) are great headphones, each one with its peculiar sound.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 564
The perfect headphone for me at this point. Caused me to sell off the K701's and the RS-1's (which I may buy again in the future). I agree that they are in the same class as other companies flagships and a great deal $190. They just seem to do everything very well while being nearly as fun as the RS-1's.

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 564
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID
Does anyone else feel the highs are a little 'shrill' sometimes. It may be my material though. But sometimes I feel that way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling it... I was going to ask about the highs since I sometimes do feel they shrill a little, probably depending of the track and type of music. Amp is the H5 from line out of the X-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back