Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #556 of 564
An amplifier could output 100 milliwatts of power into 600 ohms or 1000 milliwatts into 600 ohms, Just specifying that it can drive 600 ohm headphones is not enough. that , and there is also another factor called the sensitivity. For instance, Planar magnetic headphones have low impedances, but they are very difficult to drive because they have low sensitivity.

Anyway, You can try to see if your sound-card can drive your headphones properly. but if I were you I would buy an amp also. or maybe a DAC/AMP combo.

With a DAC/AMP combo, you can use your sound card's optical out into the DAC/AMP, that way you get the signal processing of your sound card and the superior performance of the DAC and AMP section of your combo.

the DAC chip used in your sound card is pretty decent, the CS4398 is a popular chip.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #557 of 564
I'll just toss my 2 cents in by agreeing that the bass from these 'phones is quite satisfying.  To me, at least.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #559 of 564
What are you guys driving your 990s with?

I'm using the m920's DAC, and then the DV336SE as the amp.  It's a pretty sweet combo.  That amp is a good match for high-impedance cans (mine are the 600 ohm).

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #560 of 564
I bought a pair of these last week and was surprised how much I like them. Definitely a keeper.
I haven't bought any expensive headphones for over 2 years because I've settled with the HD-650 and bass modded Q701.

I scored these for $147 for a new pair of the DT-990 32ohm version.
They're still on Amazon for that price and I even got free shipping.
I could have went with the DT-990 Pro but I never liked those much when I tried them.
Side by side with the DT-770 Pro 80 I preferred the Pro 80.

Believe it or not i'm not really hearing any elevated bass or treble. They sound neutral to my ears so far.
The bass seems pretty well controlled at all times.

At no time have they felt thin sounding, metallic sounding or "brittle". In comparison to the HD-650..sure, but just a little.

Biggest shock to me is that they are not dramatically different than the HD-650 and bass modded Q701.
All my music sounds generally the same.

Poorly recorded music sounds worse on the DT-990. Super bright music sounds worse on it too.
The best recordings sound as good as they normally do on this DT-990.

I've tried them out of my O2 amp and Headroom Micro Amp (most neutral amp i've heard).
Don't ask me how but they even sound great from my Sansa Fuze (!!).

Surprised that they don't worse bad with the O2.

BTW I had the 250ohm version back in 2007 or so and always liked them.
This was back when I also had the AKG K702 (not Q701).

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #561 of 564
Impressions on how the DT 990 handles classical (piano, and orchestral)? I know it is a little bias looking at the $150 price tag and judging from there, but I don't know if it is in the same league as the Senn HD 650.  I don't mind if the DT 990's sound signature is different, as long as it has a neutral/natural/a tad warm output and can handle genres like classical well.

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #562 of 564
Impressions on how the DT 990 handles classical (piano, and orchestral)? I know it is a little bias looking at the $150 price tag and judging from there, but I don't know if it is in the same league as the Senn HD 650.  I don't mind if the DT 990's sound signature is different, as long as it has a neutral/natural/a tad warm output and can handle genres like classical well.

The DT990 in general is much cooler than the hd6xx. Because of that, Id prefer it for classical. Yes, it carries as much detail (maybe more, who knows) as the hd6xx's.

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #563 of 564

The DT990 in general is much cooler than the hd6xx. Because of that, Id prefer it for classical. Yes, it carries as much detail (maybe more, who knows) as the hd6xx's.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #564 of 564
Just a heads up to my fellow Canuck audiophiles, there's a seller on ebay right now selling new DT990 Pro 250 Ohm limited edition for $170 Can with free shipping within Canada but "Limited Quantities Available"... (who knows what that means but understandable at that price). Also, they were selling the gold version of the DT1350 for just over $200 Can! I almost bought those but I've not done enough homework on them whereas either the DT880 and DT990 have been on my buy list for a while. Anyway, just a FYI folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back