Best Closed Can, Wide Sound stage, Good bass response Headphones? UNDER 250
Jan 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:
Are there any good Sennheiser cans in this price range with the OP's requested characteristics?  I'm kind of curious about this topic as well, and have always been fond of Sennheiser.  Or do they just not make very good closed cans?

The Momentum is the only good closed Sennheiser. And even then, at $350, I'd suggest something else any day. Sennheiser really only makes like 4~5 good headphones, all of which are open, and 2 of which are actually "really good" and the other few are just "popular". Of course that's just my opinion, as I think people think the name Sennheiser implies quality, when frankly, they have more trash phones on the market than most other big companies do.

Very best,

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #47 of 72
Are there any good Sennheiser cans in this price range with the OP's requested characteristics?  I'm kind of curious about this topic as well, and have always been fond of Sennheiser.  Or do they just not make very good closed cans?

Sennheiser only makes like what? four pairs of closed headphones overall? :p (seriously I can only think of HD 201, HD 280, HD 380, and HD-25 off hand (and Mal's post reminded me they also make Momentum, so that's five)).

The HD 380 Pro aren't bad, but the $200-$250 you'll sometimes see them for is just abysmal. At $150-$175 they're not a bad competitor for the AE2 or M50 or similar though - not tons of bass though.

The Momentum is the only good closed Sennheiser. And even then, at $350, I'd suggest something else any day. Sennheiser really only makes like 4~5 good headphones, all of which are open, and 2 of which are actually "really good" and the other few are just "popular". Of course that's just my opinion, as I think people think the name Sennheiser implies quality, when frankly, they have more trash phones on the market than most other big companies do.

Very best,

I haven't heard the Momentum, but I'd agree on the rest - Sennheiser turns out a lot of crap (not unlikely Sony or Audio-Technica); just because they have a few really stellar models doesn't excuse some of the less impressive equipment they make. Closed headphones are certainly not something I'd go to Sennheiser for, if I had a choice.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #48 of 72
I agree Senn has some crappy headphones but they price them fairly IMO. They're not the best manufacturer if you're looking for really low cost cans because you'll get what you pay for. Their high end cans, however, are good enough that they can do whatever they want and its fine by me. :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #50 of 72
Wow all this Senn hate...LOL

All the 400 series are closed, 419/28/29/38/39/48/49  The 201/202/203 

I'll take the pepsi Challenge , you grab an $80 Closed can And I'll bring my Bass modded 439...Let the party begin!!!

Hell Bring your DT770, Since a bass modded 439 has the same bass Impact and depth with a sweeter mid- and lets not talk about the high's of the 2?  I'll take a Senn any day over most under $150...They are missing a higher tier closed set for sure, but at the under $150 range they really are hard to beat...For, Sound & Comfort.  You take a 428 and remove the Tape from the driver housing( one hole) and it makes 590 owners cry...  It almost make the 600 owners say that was $40 WTH?? 

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #53 of 72
Quote:
You make good points. OP may want to look into the 4xx series.

No I think the Senns might be to polite for his musical taste.. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #56 of 72
Quote:
I didn't even know there was still a 400 series - I remember there being some 4xx cans years ago that were open back, but I thought they'd killed all of them off.
redface.gif

I don't think they were ever open back, they just design them with holes in the cups and it makes them look like open backs when they're actually closed. Not sure why they do that. For example, the current HD439:

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #59 of 72
OP UPDATE:

KRK KNS-8400

Ok guys, SO.... I made my way down to the local Long & McQuade yesterday to see if they had anything I could try on. First, I tried on some KNS8400's by KRK. For the $149 (or close to that) price tag they had hung on them, they sounded great!  I found the frequency response to be very flat across the board, and VERY nice to listen to. The lows are not quite as powerful as the M50's, but they are definitely noticeable and I felt a little vibrating in my ears on a few songs 
etysmile.gif
. I also noticed how the highs are extremely well presented, and not harsh on the ears in any way. They kind of roll off in a smooth, enjoyable fashion. I was a little unimpressed with the soundstage on these, but they are closed can so good soundstages are hard to come by. Overall, I appreciated listening to them. They aren't necessarily a "fun" headphone, since they are very flat, but would be tremendous for studio monitoring / mixing, and more mellowed out listeners (which I happen to be most of the time). Especially since you still get those deep lows to give you a little thump. Definitely worth the little money they are worth, and I would say there's a good chance they outperform a few $200+ headphones.

Pioneer HDJ-1500

After these, I tried on a pair of Pioneer HDJ-1500 "DJ headphones". Now these headphones are not over the ear, but in fact on-ear headphones. Personally, I'm not a fan of on-ears because I find them uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time due to the clamp, and also the fact that you don't really get that 'immersed in the music' feeling that over-ears provide. 
L3000.gif
 But... To the point. As I put the HDJ 1500's on, I really noticed the powerful clamp on them. It almost feels as though they're trying to push through your skull. On the other hand, they ARE meant for DJ'ing and the tight clamp would prevent them from falling off during a crazy head bump session. Sound wise, I found them to be very playful in the mids / highs. Any songs that are very 'busy' with mids and highs are almost unenjoyable with these headphones. The treble is extremely apparent, and the high frequencies are sharp to the ear. The lows wren't too bad, I could feel a little bass, but the progression from low to high was way to bright and excited for me... Back in the box they went.

Beyerdynamic DT-770 32Ohm LE
     Third, I made my way over to they Beyerdynamic section 
atsmile.gif
. Unfortunately, they didn't have the DT770 Pro 80's I was interested in... SO instead I decided to try a pair of the 32Ohm Limited Editions. The 32Ohm was both a sign of grief/relief for me. Since I'm going to be using a laptop and an iPhone to power my headphones, the 32Ohm would be very easy to drive. On the other hand, I plan on getting a nice little Fiio in the future, and I feel as though the performance of these headphones with an AMP would only very marginally increase, as compared to the 80's or 250's per say. Alas, I put them on. They are a fairly comfortable can ( a little more than my M50's actually), but the "soft skin" cheap pleathery material they used for the ear muffs (same as the M50's) disappointed me, as I thought they would have been the velour pads. Owell... Sound wise, they were great. After reading reviews on the DT770's, I thought these would have had the overpowered bass of a 'basshead' can, but nope. Not at all. I found the deep bass to be fairly tight and almost exactly where the bass level needed to be. You could feel the vibration on some bass heavy songs, and when listening to more pop / punk music the bass retreated was perfect. All the hype about the recessed mids had me scared to give these a try, but again, nope. Not at all. I found the mids to be even a little more forward than my M50's. It was nice. The only thing I could point out negative sound wise, was the highs. They are indeed sharp and sting a bit when symbols are being hit per say. I guess that's an easy fix with the EQ, but the highs definitely need some working in. The soundstage was a little under what I thought it would be, but it's definitely better than the Audio Technica's. By a mile. Listening to some of my chillstep / atmospheric songs, I could hear the sounds floating around my head, it was great. After a few songs I put these back in the box. 

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250Ohm

As it turned out, they had an opened pair of 770 250's that were sitting in the percussion room to use for drummers testing out the drums. Sweet! After being told my poor little iPhone and laptop would be insufficient in driving these bests, I was wondering how crappy and low volume they would sound. Let's see! I sat down in the drummers chair and plugged em in with an adapter an associate lent to me. WHAT THE ******. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Not only did my little iPhone push these monsters to a high volume I didn't expect, but they sounded like Jesus was hiding in the cans and was whispering sweet nothings in my ear. Seriously. I took them off a few times to even check. I didn't find him though, so it must of just been the sheer power of these cans. Okay, maybe I'm over-hyping with the whole Jesus bit, but I'm not kidding. I fell in love with these headphones for the next hour and a half I was in that chair. I was amazed by how much more clear and better sounding these cans were than the 32Ohm version. They sounded like two completely different headphones to me. The first thing I noticed was how comfortable they were to wear. The velour pads really feel nice on the head, and my ears perfectly fit in the large cups. They also have a light / moderate clamp, so in combination with the comfy pads you almost forget they are even on your head! I don't know where to begin on the quality of sound. I threw every genre I had at these and every single time I was brought to close my eyes and just.... enjoy. My soft chillstep songs were just wonderful. The lows made a relaxing rumble in my ears, and as they progress up the scale to mid frequencies, the 770's reproduced it beautifully soft and relaxing. I didn't find the mids to be very recessed at all, but more calming and easy to listen to. I was expecting the highs to be sharp and painful like the 32Ohms but to my surprise they were great. Still a TAD too harsh, but nothing I would even begin to complain about, especially when you can just drop the high EQ's a tad. The soundstage on these was also noticeably better than the 32Ohm's. I don't know if it was just a result of me enjoying the overall sound of the headphones more, or if it's actually better. Either way, I was lost in the music when having the 250Ohms on. Just pure blissfulness. Before I left, I decided to mix it up a bit and see how the vocals performed on these. I threw on a FLAC version of  Pressure (Acoustic): Live from Q101 Chicago by Paramore. My god. The vocals and acoustic frequencies are just mind blowing. I thought Hayley Williams was right beside me. It was absolutely fantastic. Also, her voice is naturally on the high side of the spectrum, and the 250Ohms didn't hurt my ears whatsoever with the highs.It was perfect.

Anyways, nearly 2 hours and a few impatient drummer customers later, I was out of there with a mission to get rid of these M50's out of my hands ASAP So I can purchase those DT770 Pro 250's. The DT770 Pro 250's outperform by M50's in every possible way. Even in imaginary ways. Even in your dreams. The M50's just aren't in the same universe with the DT770 Pro 250's. Actually, the 770's are on their own planet filled with luscious sounds and beautiful transitions and walk around on their little headphone legs all by themselves with no other kind of headphone occupying the planet. You know why? Because in this $200 price point, nothing else compares. There's my days summary for ya. Hope it helped some of you make a few decisions on which headphones to choose. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #60 of 72
Cool. Glad you were able to try a couple few in person. If you like the 770/250 that much then I figure you'll be all the happier one day when you can try them with a more powerful amplifier. They scale pretty well IMO, esp the higher ohm versions. My 600 ohm 770 does anyway and I've heard that the 250 ohm and even 80, and probably 32 ohm version as well, all scale pretty well. ... Well there's two ways to look at it, they "scale well" or they "need to be amped" :wink: but if you like them that much straight out of your iPhone I think that's great because you can only go up from there.

Have you decided where you're going to get your 770/250? I think some links were posted earlier right? There are several places to find good prices on these but I know next to nothing on which stores/sites might be more expensive for shipping to Canada. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find a good deal. Good luck. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back