Best Closed Can, Wide Sound stage, Good bass response Headphones? UNDER 250
Jan 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #16 of 72
You can get these CHEAP if you look
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-Over-the-Head-Headphones-/181064253869?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item2a284541ad

Seller refurb tho:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-80-Closed-Studio-Headphones-BRAND-NEW-/170975943225?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item27cef5da39

This guy has them all the time, got mine from him!!

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 72
Quote:
"Bland" and Ultrasone are not words I would put together in the same sentence.
tongue.gif

This. For you I don't think I would recommend the Ultrasones though... despite "S-Logic" I find that they definitely have a narrower soundstage than the 770. Probably only slightly wider than the M50.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #19 of 72
Quote:
The Dt770s 80 will have plenty of bass. Ive been listening to some of the same stuff you said you liked with mine and its really great. Put an amp on them, don't have to spend a ton, and they're even better. I just got an amp for mine and it cleaned everything up, made the sound fuller, brought out the highs even more and tightened up the bass and even opened up the soundstange. They're pretty good unamped too but the bass is a bit bloated at times and they can get a little muddy. I used mine for years without an amp though and I was totally satisfied. An amp on them really does make a world of difference though. They're definitely my gotos for anything rap and electronic.

If you don't mind used even you should'nt have a problem scoring a pair out of the FS section for less them 150 I bet. That would save some money for a pretty nice amp. 

Great! I'm glad to hear you have some listening experience in the genres I listed. Just out of curiosity, what amp are you using with them? 

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #20 of 72
This. For you I don't think I would recommend the Ultrasones though... despite "S-Logic" I find that they definitely have a narrower soundstage than the 770. Probably only slightly wider than the M50.

Personally I find the S-LOGIC models to walk on the M50 for staging, but that's most headphones IME (the M50 are very much "wall of sound" to me); very good for movies and multimedia applications, sizing varies considerably with music though.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #21 of 72
S-Logic is different for everyone. I find the HFI stuff to be pretty wide, and I am sensitive to narrow soundstages on portables. 

580? Definitely not bland. Just not as refined, as smooth - but lots of bass. 

Graphs and charts aren't everything. All of these headphones are pretty popular. See if you can demo. Or buy from someone that has a great return policy. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Thanks for the input. If I'm going to purchase a new pair of cans, they NEED to have a significantly better soundstage than the M50's. That's definitely on the top of the list. 

Quote:
You can get these CHEAP if you look
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-Over-the-Head-Headphones-/181064253869?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item2a284541ad

Seller refurb tho:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-80-Closed-Studio-Headphones-BRAND-NEW-/170975943225?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item27cef5da39

This guy has them all the time, got mine from him!!

Holy crap. $110 on the first link? It just sounds way too good to be true.. And which seller did you get yours from, the second? Being refurbs, how do they sound? Did the purchasing and shipping process go smoothly? The thing is, I live in Canada, and I'm hoping they would ship to me.. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Thanks for the input. If I'm going to purchase a new pair of cans, they NEED to have a significantly better soundstage than the M50's. That's definitely on the top of the list. 

Holy crap. $110 on the first link? It just sounds way too good to be true.. And which seller did you get yours from, the second? Being refurbs, how do they sound? Did the purchasing and shipping process go smoothly? The thing is, I live in Canada, and I'm hoping they would ship to me.. 

I bought the " New" from the second seller.  He has them for $150 constantly.  Not sure about shipping to Canada, You might be able to find a cheap place near you or Email the seller, most of the time they'll work something out.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:
Personally I find the S-LOGIC models to walk on the M50 for staging, but that's most headphones IME (the M50 are very much "wall of sound" to me); very good for movies and multimedia applications, sizing varies considerably with music though.

Wouldn't surprise me, I've heard that many times about the M50 (that they have the "wall of sound" going on). And I agree that the effect of S-Logic varies alot with music. Generally my PRO 750s have a fairly narrow soundstage but then every once in a while a sound will pop up from way off in the distance and I'll think woaaahh, these have a *sometimes* soundstage??? Pretty strange. I find that if I push the 750s back on my head so that my ears are right at the front of the cups, which essentially puts the driver right over my eardrum rather than being placed forward of the ear as S-Logic intends, that the mids come rushing back in and it sounds much, much better to me. With regular placement and the drivers sitting forward from my eardrums and sending sound "over" my ear, as S-Logic is apparently intended to work in order to produce the surround sound effect, the mids get completely lost and the whole sound becomes muddy and not very detailed. Wearing them slightly pushed back on my head like that basically negates the S-Logic though, obviously, and the soundstage seems to suffer from it slightly.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #26 of 72
Quote:
I bought the " New" from the second seller.  He has them for $150 constantly.  Not sure about shipping to Canada, You might be able to find a cheap place near you or Email the seller, most of the time they'll work something out.

He does indeed do worldwide shipping, but I'd be looking at $25 dollars in shipping + additional border fees 
triportsad.gif
. The good thing is though, he offers 60 day money back guarentee (buy pays return shipping of course). Tough one. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #27 of 72
Quote:
He does indeed do worldwide shipping, but I'd be looking at $25 dollars in shipping + additional border fees 
triportsad.gif
. The good thing is though, he offers 60 day money back guarentee (buy pays return shipping of course). Tough one. 

Yeah, you'd have to look around local and see if you can find them cheaper.  It's Canada tho and rumor says they charge more for headphones :)
Still a decent deal really, I'm not sure on border fees but say under $200 shipped seems fare..

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #28 of 72
S-Logic is different for everyone.
Graphs and charts aren't everything. All of these headphones are pretty popular. See if you can demo. Or buy from someone that has a great return policy. 

+1. :beerchug:

Wouldn't surprise me, I've heard that many times about the M50 (that they have the "wall of sound" going on). And I agree that the effect of S-Logic varies alot with music. Generally my PRO 750s have a fairly narrow soundstage but then every once in a while a sound will pop up from way off in the distance and I'll think woaaahh, these have a *sometimes* soundstage??? Pretty strange. I find that if I push the 750s back on my head so that my ears are right at the front of the cups, which essentially puts the driver right over my eardrum rather than being placed forward of the ear as S-Logic intends, that the mids come rushing back in and it sounds much, much better to me. With regular placement and the drivers sitting forward from my eardrums and sending sound "over" my ear, as S-Logic is apparently intended to work in order to produce the surround sound effect, the mids get completely lost and the whole sound becomes muddy and not very detailed. Wearing them slightly pushed back on my head like that basically negates the S-Logic though, obviously, and the soundstage seems to slightly suffer.

According to the "unofficial owner's guide" (and pictures that Ultrasone made ages ago), they should be worn somewhere between the two extremes you're describing - your ears should be centered in the cups and the headband should be over the top of your head (not at an angle); that produces the best effect IME. I will add that "S-LOGIC Plus" is an improvement IMO (it's basically more holes in the baffle, at least that's what it looks like - I have no idea if you could just get out a drill and MacGyver that onto the 750s (I'm finding inconsistent reports from Ultrasone regarding the 750s having Plus or not, especially between the blue and grey versions, I'm assuming they do not given their age and relationship to the 2500)). But yeah, "sometimes soundstage" would describe them well IME - when playing a videogame with good positional audio, or watching a movie with a good surround mix, it's at times uncanny how well they position things in space. But listening to fairly "flat" music they're relatively ho-hum in staging. They don't artificially widen the material as a lot of other "good soundstage headphones" do (like the K701); yes they're bizarre (it's Ultrasone though).

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #29 of 72
Quote:
Great! I'm glad to hear you have some listening experience in the genres I listed. Just out of curiosity, what amp are you using with them? 

Just a Fiio E10 I got for 50 bucks. 
Quote:

Wow that seems really cheap for new. I wonder how he does it. 
Quote:
I was really impressed by the DT770 LE. 

People are raving about them. They should be really good too. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #30 of 72
My guess is business discount by buying in bulk?????...  You can see his shelve, loaded down..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back