Best Closed Can, Wide Sound stage, Good bass response Headphones? UNDER 250
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #61 of 72
Quote:
Cool. Glad you were able to try a couple few in person. If you like the 770/250 that much then I figure you'll be all the happier one day when you can try them with a more powerful amplifier. They scale pretty well IMO, esp the higher ohm versions. My 600 ohm 770 does anyway and I've heard that the 250 ohm and even 80, and probably 32 ohm version as well, all scale pretty well. ... Well there's two ways to look at it, they "scale well" or they "need to be amped" :wink: but if you like them that much straight out of your iPhone I think that's great because you can only go up from there.

Have you decided where you're going to get your 770/250? I think some links were posted earlier right? There are several places to find good prices on these but I know next to nothing on which stores/sites might be more expensive for shipping to Canada. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find a good deal. Good luck. Enjoy.

I'm that much more excited because It sounds so great even without an amplifire! Couldn't imagine how lovely they would sound with a nice little amp. Actually Long & McQuade here in Oshawa, Ontario sells them for $165. Pretty ridiculously awesome right? The cheapest I have seen on amazon.ca is $225, and I'll be paying around the same thing trying to get them shipped over from Amazon.com. All I have to do is walk down the street and pick them up (I have them on layaway so nobody took the last pair while I got the money hehe). As a matter of fact, guess where I'm off to right now :wink:. Thanks for all the replies everybody!

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #62 of 72
Glad you found some cans you like ColinC. The Beyer 770's are pretty nice, I almost bought them before I got my a900x (they were a good bit cheaper then the a900x which almost swayed me lol)

Let us know when you get them. I'd definitely consider getting an amp/dac for the 250 ohm version, I demo'd them with and without and noticed a significant difference.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #63 of 72
Quote:
Glad you found some cans you like ColinC. The Beyer 770's are pretty nice, I almost bought them before I got my a900x (they were a good bit cheaper then the a900x which almost swayed me lol)

Let us know when you get them. I'd definitely consider getting an amp/dac for the 250 ohm version, I demo'd them with and without and noticed a significant difference.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't checked my thread for a few days. I actually went out and bought the DT770 250Ohm version at Long and McQuade Saturday! I love them. I'm currently trying to get rid of my ATH M50's for $150, and when I switch back and forth between the two, I definitely appreciate the sound of the DT770's more. I think it may be the soundstage that won me over 
smily_headphones1.gif
. I love them. With pretty much all of the genres I throw at both these headphones, I just feel like the DT770's recreate the sound in more of a laid-back, smooth sounding fashion and I love it. It seems as though they are easier to listen to in general, and the comfort level is just amazing. I always forget they are on my head when listening for a long time, as apposed to the M50's which have a tighter fit around the ear and can be annoying at times. I'm very excited you say you noticed a significant difference listening to them without an amp/dac because to me, even without one, they outperform my M50's in every category!  I am definitely looking into purchasing an amp/dac for these cans. There's no doubt. I may give it a few weeks or a month until I burn them in a bit. Regarding this, I'm still looking for recommendations for which amp/dac to get. Any suggestions?

May 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #65 of 72
Hi all, 

Maybe you can help me out. I'm planning to order a DT770 Pro to (250Ohm). My main concern (and question) is: I've got an Onkyo SR605 home-cinema receiver. 
a) can anyone tell me if the 250Ohm is compatible with my Onkyo?
b) I like to listen to them while my speakers also output sound (front Phone jack disables the speakers). Can I connect the DT770's to the REC-OUT on the back? (I think I need an amp for the Zone2 output...)

Thanks!! The enthousiasm over here did help me in the confusing search for a good pair of cans! 
Hope you can help me out with those (important) questions.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #66 of 72
I didn't see Grado Labs mentioned here and thought I should considering what I was searching for ->  They're also very sturdy.

To the OP-> Do any of these fit the bill?

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php

-Josh

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #67 of 72
I'd recommend the Yamaha Pro 400. Distantly followed by the AKG 550 and Senn Amperior. I've left a lot of comments about these on various threads if anyone wants to read more.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #69 of 72
Wow all this Senn hate...LOL

All the 400 series are closed, 419/28/29/38/39/48/49  The 201/202/203 

I'll take the pepsi Challenge , you grab an $80 Closed can And I'll bring my Bass modded 439...Let the party begin!!!

Hell Bring your DT770, Since a bass modded 439 has the same bass Impact and depth with a sweeter mid- and lets not talk about the high's of the 2?  I'll take a Senn any day over most under $150...They are missing a higher tier closed set for sure, but at the under $150 range they really are hard to beat...For, Sound & Comfort.  You take a 428 and remove the Tape from the driver housing( one hole) and it makes 590 owners cry...  It almost make the 600 owners say that was $40 WTH?? 
This is the first smart post iv read in this thread yet...the 400 series are WAY under priced...they are basically bassier closed versions of the reference class 500 series and up...bass modded 439...ill take those over ANY beyerdynamic...

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #70 of 72
I had the 429 and those were great only reason i sold them was to get hd558 which arent as bassy but are supremely smooth and rich for the price...there are NO $80 dollar headphones that will be able to contend with the bass modded hd439!!!!

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #72 of 72

The best sound stages in closed headphones I've listened to:

Shure SRH940
Beyer T70
Mr Speaker Mad Dog with SR007 Stax Pads
Denon D2000/5000/7000

But unfortunately the SRH940 doesn't have any mid-bass to speak of, and it's sub-bass is shy even though it's able to land those tones decently. But does not meet the OP's criteria as they're not looking for bass-shy, which the SRH940 is.

Very best,

I know it's an old thread, but you mentioned the Logitech UE6000 as well. I'm looking for a warm sound perhaps V shaped (def not neutral, just returned the AKG 550s and Grado sr80es, really disliked that bright or thin sound as it bored me). I like a wide sound stage, but with a bit of volume either end... some headphones have great sound stage but the stereo effect is a bit feint sounding and a bit more subtle. Would the UE6000 maybe fit the bill... or should i go with dt990. I've been recommended the CAL!s quite a few times too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back