Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Dec 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #211 of 862
Edited, removed
----
Answered my own question, read that the Glacier's amp section sound sig is the same as the TTVJ slim's, just with a better power suply, so I went ahead and read up on the Slim. I'm happy with what I read...going to pair it up with my Macbook and RS1. My first amp and DAC.

I have jumped around from saying I was going to get an E17, to an ODAC/c421, to an Asgard/Modi, and now I've finally reached the Apex Glacier! I just have a small desk at my apt near my school and I'd prefer paying more up front and not having to upgrade later, while having a nice small sized all-in-one unit. If I get an Android phone when I can upgrade that can do the USB, I could also use it on the go. Love that its 24/96 capable as well, that's the biggest thing I've been looking for my DAC purchase.

Purchasing in a week, so excited!

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #212 of 862
Quote:
any reviews on this thing yet?

Yes, mine sounds great, like a very good tube amp. Very nice clarity with a little warmth, plenty of power and great extension. All in a small, very useable, very portable package. The DAC is very good as well. It's a class act, overall.

The cons are on/off thump and a bit of rf interference sometimes (less than the original TTVJ).

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #213 of 862
Quote:
Yes, mine sounds great, like a very good tube amp. Very nice clarity with a little warmth, plenty of power and great extension. All in a small, very useable, very portable package. The DAC is very good as well. It's a class act, overall.

The cons are on/off thump and a bit of rf interference sometimes (less than the original TTVJ).

I confirm 100% to this.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #214 of 862
Well...no one use the DAC section of the Glacier on IPad? with C.C.K.?
confused.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #215 of 862
^I've been trying to find a nice jailbreak hack that will enable the CCK to be used with the iPhone, so I can use digital out and go through the DAC. It used to exist in past versions of the iOS..

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #216 of 862
Quote:
^I've been trying to find a nice jailbreak hack that will enable the CCK to be used with the iPhone, so I can use digital out and go through the DAC. It used to exist in past versions of the iOS..

There used to be a app on Cydia that did that but if you're talking about the new iPhone I couldn't say if it would work. Fingers crossed Tim Cook loosens the apron strings on the Apple ecosystem and we all can finally pair our iOS devices with whatever we want DAC wise.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #217 of 862
Yea I found some results but they're dead/not updated anymore since they were for past iOS versions...I'm still on the iPhone 4 so I still have a chance to get lucky!

This Glacier might be the reason I switch over to Android next upgrade

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #218 of 862

I am thinking about purchasing either the Glacier, the Portaphile 627 or waiting for Leckerton to release their 2013 Lineup.

I am leaning towards the Glacier as of right now as it has a built in dac capable of 24/96 and a longer battery life than the 627.

I have read that some people hear noise or a hiss from their Glacier and I since you have Heir ciems I was wondering if you hear any noise or hissing at all with your 8a's or 6a's as I believe that you have both if I am not mistaken. I currently have the 8's and will have the 6's. Also can you elaborate on the rf interference, I thought that I read tha te glacier was in a stainless housing which should minimize rfi. Is there anyway to avoid the on/off thump?

Next I haven't seen a review yet of the Glacier although Headphonia made some mention of it when he was comparing it to the 627 in which he stated the sound quality was close to the 627.

Lastly does anyway have a clue which Cirus DAC is in the Glacier?

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #219 of 862
Quote:

I've been using my iphone 4s with iOS5.1.1 and the glacier for 1 month now and its working well. I used this cydia app called cameraconnector and an apple cck to do the trick of digital out.
The cameraconnector app is pretty stable and its easy to fix when something goes wrong. 
My only complain to the setup is the stock usb cable isn't rigid enough. When the usb connector is moved, the phone/ computer would appear to be disconnected to the glacier and I have to adjust the position of the usb connection to reconnect the whole thing. So if you're planning to take a phone/ glacier setup out, be prepared to take extra care of your connector.

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #220 of 862
Quote:
I've been using my iphone 4s with iOS5.1.1 and the glacier for 1 month now and its working well. I used this cydia app called cameraconnector and an apple cck to do the trick of digital out.
The cameraconnector app is pretty stable and its easy to fix when something goes wrong. 
My only complain to the setup is the stock usb cable isn't rigid enough. When the usb connector is moved, the phone/ computer would appear to be disconnected to the glacier and I have to adjust the position of the usb connection to reconnect the whole thing. So if you're planning to take a phone/ glacier setup out, be prepared to take extra care of your connector.

Hmmm...interesting! I thought I tried that but it didn't work for me (same setup 4S, 5.1.1 CCK, CameraConnector). The Glacier was at default though (or whatever setting it was on the demo table). Did you have to do anything in particular on the Glacier to get it working?

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #221 of 862
Quote:

Sweet man, I think this is only the 2nd post I've read out of all my searches confirming it'll work. Looks like I'll downgrade when I get the Glacier. Could I get away with the Sharkk brand CCK, 5in1 reader, instead of the Apple brand?

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #222 of 862
Sweet man, I think this is only the 2nd post I've read out of all my searches confirming it'll work. Looks like I'll downgrade when I get the Glacier. Could I get away with the Sharkk brand CCK, 5in1 reader, instead of the Apple brand?

Yeah I think so, but just FYI, I bought a cabled cck from amazon, hoping I could get the whole setup in a compact form, but it was quite unstable and the device disconnected every 20minutes. By far the apple brand one is very stable, havent failed me once yet. Btw just my humble opinion, the iOS5 is much better than 6 under jailbreaked conditions, I really regret upgrading my iPad.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #223 of 862
Hmmm...interesting! I thought I tried that but it didn't work for me (same setup 4S, 5.1.1 CCK, CameraConnector). The Glacier was at default though (or whatever setting it was on the demo table). Did you have to do anything in particular on the Glacier to get it working?

Yeah you have to press both the gain and reset button to get the glacier to "don't demand a lot of current" mode. After that your glacier is good to go.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #224 of 862
I regret upgrading too, I thought a nice untethered jailbreak wouldve been out by now. I had all kinds of cool radio and game apps on my last hacked iOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back