Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Feb 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #751 of 862
I've been using the DAC section everyday for the past several months, but so far no weird states or sudden shut downs, at all.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #752 of 862
  Same thing happens for mine as well. Once in a blue moon, it suddenly decides to go silent on me and I will have to reset it or unplug/plug, off/on. When it goes silent, foobar2k w/WASAPI chucks out an error message but I can't remember exactly what it said - I will have to write it down next time. That's for the DAC only. I think the amplifier part of the Glacier shouldn't ever crash.

I've been thinking of getting a separate DAC but nothing stands out.

I use my Apex as an amp only (with VentureCraft DD as my DAC). But I also switch my Apex to lower power mode for the DAC by default for use with the iPad, and Android devices, etc. I'm speculating here it's in the low power mode that I tend to have these hangups. They're not a frequent occurrence but more frequent than other DAC/Amps.

Meanwhile there's one that I can replicate. If my Apex battery is fully drained, I have to reset to kick off charging again...it's not just a matter of plugging into the USB charger.

None of these issues are show stoppers though. It's still a great performing DAC/Amp.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #753 of 862
Hmm I didn't know the DAC was prone to those issues. Oh well good to know nothings really wrong :)

EDIT: Made a review of this gear! http://www.head-fi.org/products/apex-high-fi-audio-glacier-portable-amp-dac/reviews/10569

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #754 of 862
I know the answer is no, but I need to ask
wink.gif
:

Any asio drivers for the Apex Glacier?

I never had it connected to my PC, always to my Note3.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #755 of 862
  I know the answer is no, but I need to ask
wink.gif
:

Any asio drivers for the Apex Glacier?

I never had it connected to my PC, always to my Note3.

Yup, I think there should be ASIO drivers. Never used them though, I've always used WASAPI.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #756 of 862
  Yup, I think there should be ASIO drivers. Never used them though, I've always used WASAPI.

Really?
Appreciate if you could direct me to where I can find them?
Thanks

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #757 of 862
Mar 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #758 of 862
Hi, I just got the Glacier today, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I don't hear a difference compared to the Fiio E07K. I have a Fostex TH600. Shouldn't I get a remarkable improvement in sound? Maybe the bass is a tiny bit tighter, but overall... Did I expect too much from a different amp?

Thx, Daan

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #759 of 862
Give i
Hi, I just got the Glacier today, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I don't hear a difference compared to the Fiio E07K. I have a Fostex TH600. Shouldn't I get a remarkable improvement in sound? Maybe the bass is a tiny bit tighter, but overall... Did I expect too much from a different amp?

Thx, Daan

Give it some time to burn in, mine took at least 400-500 hours before I started to enjoy it :)

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #762 of 862

Thx, Daan

I didn't particularly like the Glacier to TH600 pairing either. The Glacier is designed to power IEMs (although it has the muscle to decently power portable and efficient full-sized cans too) so that may explain why you didn't hear much of a difference. You will get better results with a more efficient portable can or IEMs as the TH600 has an average sound when it's not being powered to its full potential (basically when being powered by most portable amps).

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #763 of 862
  I didn't particularly like the Glacier to TH600 pairing either. The Glacier is designed to power IEMs (although it has the muscle to decently power portable and efficient full-sized cans too) so that may explain why you didn't hear much of a difference. You will get better results with a more efficient portable can or IEMs as the TH600 has an average sound when it's not being powered to its full potential (basically when being powered by most portable amps).

Thanks for the reply. Is there a portable amp that does the TH600 justice in your opinion?

I wouldn't describe my TH600 sound as average, it does sound really great to me. It's just that it doesn't have those "silky highs".

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #764 of 862
  Thanks for the reply. Is there a portable amp that does the TH600 justice in your opinion?

I wouldn't describe my TH600 sound as average, it does sound really great to me. It's just that it doesn't have those "silky highs".

Well, it depends on whether you want to go balanced or not. If you want to go balanced, try the PB2 or SR71B. If you don't, the Portaphile 627 or Pico Power (if you don't mind double 9V batteries) should be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back