Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Mar 22, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #766 of 862
  Hmmm, I'd like to have a DAC/AMP combo. Non balanced.

I can only think of the Centrance Hifi-M8 that might be a good pairing. I've never personally heard the combination however, so I can't vouch for its sound. There aren't many of those on the market.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #768 of 862
  Yeah, I was afraid it would come to that. :wink:

I think I'm going to send the Glacier back and try the M8.

Thanks!

You're welcome. Shame the Glacier didn't fit your needs as I really do like it. Good luck with the M8 though 
redface.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #769 of 862
  Hi, I just got the Glacier today, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I don't hear a difference compared to the Fiio E07K. I have a Fostex TH600. Shouldn't I get a remarkable improvement in sound? Maybe the bass is a tiny bit tighter, but overall... Did I expect too much from a different amp?

Thx, Daan

My experience with the Glacier is that I noticed just a little bit improve in overall sound. But after a couple weeks get used to the sound, I plugged my headphones directly to the laptop and ipod. It really surprised me about the change. So take your time to get used of the sound sign and get back to the E07K to see what happens. If you want to see a remarkable different in sound, may be you can try a darker amp such as Arrow 3G.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #770 of 862
The arrow is practically a wire with gain. It doesn't really add anything to the sound signature of the headphones you're listening to so it takes a while to notice its merits, like midnightwalker said.

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #772 of 862
Oh I meant the glacier, my bad haha

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #779 of 862
hey u guys did apex work on samsung note3 snapdrogon ? , between pure DAP such as DX90 or X5 and note3 + Apex Glacier, which one do u choose

Purely based on sound signature, I think X5 and Glacier might complement each other since Glacier is forward sounding meanwhile X5 is warm sounding.
Never heard the combination but might be worth thinking about.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #780 of 862
Purely based on sound signature, I think X5 and Glacier might complement each other since Glacier is forward sounding meanwhile X5 is warm sounding.
Never heard the combination but might be worth thinking about.

TBH I have tried Apex Glacier with GS4 (headfiers rave good matching combination of Glacier and their GS3) and my ears did not really like since the GS4 SQ is already good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back