Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #31 of 862

AnakChan; did you set the amp to not request power when you connected it to the iPhone 5?
Turockrocks; it's basically a toggle switch.

Great, very helpful, thanks.
Strangely, the glacier got two USB iputs, one for charging and another for the dac, so it should not charge when connected thru The dac! So why the manual mentions that it will require power when dac concerted to charge, totally lost here.....:confused_face_2:

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #32 of 862
shinn: It is definitely MICRO USB, it comes with a self winding USB Type-A to Micro-B which will allow you to plug it in to your computer as soon as you open the box. The photo you may have seen in my album is a mix up, but I have temporarily lost the cable so can't take another pic of it.
But I'm positive. The fact that it is Micro USB has sent me on a hunt to adapt it to my iPhone (though it looks like that's pointless)

Thanks for replying AnakChan.
Maybe I'll just use an old LOD with the new Lightning to 30 pin adapter. My dad had two arrive recently, maybe I'll borrow one of his. (problem is I don't have a LOD and it defeats the point of the whole DAC/amp combo)

To whom it may concern, I AM hearing a hiss. I'm only using hippo boom iems at the moment, but I cant see them introducing a hiss on their own (unless someone wants to explain something to me). The amp is also making clickety confused electronic noises (unplugged from my source).
I know it's there because when I unplug my earphones from the amp it goes quiet. Just to give an I idea of how much it is, the iPhone's hiss completely overpowers the Glacier's once I plug it back in the input.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #33 of 862
Turockrocks;
The DAC input port can be programed to NOT request power from the connected source (USB host) so that it will function with other battery operated devices. So one can turn off it's charging function so it doesn't get rejected.

IMO the reason for the two ports.

When connected to a source with a USB that CAN output 5v 500mA, such as a computer or laptop, it only needs one cable to charge and receive digital signal. For simplicity's sake.

When connected to a source which can NOT output 5v 500mA, it can receive digital signal but cannot charge. In this case, the second port comes in handy, so that one can use a wall charger or solar battery to charge the unit while simultaneously streaming from a portable DAP.

Another reason would be to keep power and signal cables separate to protect the signal quality.

I hope I don't sound condescending.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #34 of 862
shinn: It is definitely MICRO USB, it comes with a self winding USB Type-A to Micro-B which will allow you to plug it in to your computer as soon as you open the box. The photo you may have seen in my album is a mix up, but I have temporarily lost the cable so can't take another pic of it.
But I'm positive. The fact that it is Micro USB has sent me on a hunt to adapt it to my iPhone (though it looks like that's pointless)

Thanks for replying AnakChan.
Maybe I'll just use an old LOD with the new Lightning to 30 pin adapter. My dad had two arrive recently, maybe I'll borrow one of his. (problem is I don't have a LOD and it defeats the point of the whole DAC/amp combo)

To whom it may concern, I AM hearing a hiss. I'm only using hippo boom iems at the moment, but I cant see them introducing a hiss on their own (unless someone wants to explain something to me). The amp is also making clickety confused electronic noises (unplugged from my source).
I know it's there because when I unplug my earphones from the amp it goes quiet. Just to give an I idea of how much it is, the iPhone's hiss completely overpowers the Glacier's once I plug it back in the input.

Not good, not good at all.... please can you test it with other iem.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #35 of 862
are there any usb a to micro b audiophile grade cables on the market? I can't find any. Also, what dap allows usb host and plays FLAC? thanks! 

oh i just read that android 4.1 supports usb digital out! any confirmation of this with glacier dac? 

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #36 of 862
Turockrocks;
The DAC input port can be programed to NOT request power from the connected source (USB host) so that it will function with other battery operated devices. So one can turn off it's charging function so it doesn't get rejected.

IMO the reason for the two ports.

When connected to a source with a USB that CAN output 5v 500mA, such as a computer or laptop, it only needs one cable to charge and receive digital signal. For simplicity's sake.

When connected to a source which can NOT output 5v 500mA, it can receive digital signal but cannot charge. In this case, the second port comes in handy, so that one can use a wall charger or solar battery to charge the unit while simultaneously streaming from a portable DAP.

Another reason would be to keep power and signal cables separate to protect the signal quality.

I hope I don't sound condescending.

Thanks, that makes sense...

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #38 of 862
Quote:
are there any usb a to micro b audiophile grade cables on the market? I can't find any. Also, what dap allows usb host and plays FLAC? thanks! 

oh i just read that android 4.1 supports usb digital out! any confirmation of this with glacier dac? 

Jelly Bean USB audio is NOT a standard implementation, only devices made specifically to work with it will work.

The Galaxy S3 and Note 2 have a standard type of USB audio, Samsung added the support for it themselves.

The Apex Glacier is apparently confirmed to work with the S3 by another user here.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #39 of 862
Quote:

Hi, try bringing down the gain, having the amp on mid or high gain with a small, single driver iem is like having the volume way up. Have a look at the manual to see how its done. From your comparison to the iphone, the hiss is very small, even when the gain is at middle or high level. Also, try using different iems.

There's no hiss with my customs, such as the Future Sonics MG6Pro and Heir Audio 6.A and 8.A. I haven't needed to change the gain.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #40 of 862
In preparation for the note2 and Glacier...
I can't thank you enough.. you know who:wink:

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #43 of 862
Nice looking cables!!

Thanks....You can't imagine how much I am waiting for your upcoming impressions, between the Glacier & your customs......we are still on track or?

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #44 of 862
Where did you buy those cables? I'm going to need them for my future note2 purchase.

I think AnakChan may still have one....pm him please.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #45 of 862

Quote:
Thanks....You can't imagine how much I am waiting for your upcoming impressions, between the Glacier & your customs......we are still on track or?

Oh! Actually on my 2nd trip there on Sunday (post #23) I did go with my customs UM530x8. However I think it's the universals FitEar TO GO! 334 that I'm supposed to test to see if I hear any hiss. This weekend's Fujiya Avic show though is going to be much bigger than the e-earphone show and therefore much busier. I'll see if I can get exclusive time with the Glacier like last weekend but there's a strong possibility that I may not get that much time.

I think AnakChan may still have one....pm him please.

Actually, the two I have in my hands are gone (well, one is still sitting on my desk but I have to post it tonight). Let me ping VentureCraft on their timeline for international orders for this cable. If not, I may be able to look into some kinda group buy. Can't guarantee if I can get any discounts on the group buy though.

Edit: I put a brief mention and pix of the Glacier on my e-earphone festival review (http://www.head-fi.org/t/632869/tokyo-e-earphone-portable-audio-festival-20th-21st-october-2012).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back