Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Jan 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #196 of 325
Quote:

An interesting way of seeing the upgrade/perceived improvement phenomena, is to witness a fellow head-fier. They may even ask you what you think, and even with all this being personal taste, you can still witness the side-stepping purchase in progress. It seems the view of the painting is so big that to see the whole picture is harder than it looks.

At times there is a profound over-all upgrade but at times it is tricky. Tricky when you tunnel vision in on a perceived change/improvement so much as to miss the other changes. That new flavor will loose the warmth for detail or not have an attribute somewhere.
evil_smiley.gif

At times we think we find an improvement to take place only because we really just want an improvement. Manufactures play the coloration game only to help us on our terminal illusion process. Hind-sight is always 100% 20/20.

Brilliant quote. It was perfected a long time ago. We are now only enjoying a digital revolution in regards to; computer= to that perfection. Mmm.. me thinks it will be the the philips TDA1541  that we'll all come running back to. It's the music that matters.. Right?

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #197 of 325
Wonderful question!!  And wonderful thread and comments!!!

My 2 cents:

It really depends on what what you mean by "audio nirvana".

If it is the best audio set-up that you fell it is better than everything else you can possibly hear:  No, I don't think such a thing exists.

If it is a particular moment you feel music so real and enticing, your toes tip, and you are greatful you started this hobby:  Yes, many nirvanas exist! 

Just a lesson I've learned:  If you find yourself in a nirvana, don't stop it to do an A-B comparison.  Just enjoy it!
beyersmile.png

[]s
Walfredo

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #198 of 325
Quote:
Do you believe one pair of headphone can give you audio nirvana? I think it must be at least two or three pairs of them with varying sound signatures to really satisfy an audiophile with all kinds of music.

I have one pair of headphones at least that are both easy to drive out of pretty much anything and cover all types of music nicely for me, while being highly resolving, but they are semi-unobtanium now as you can pretty much only buy the drivers last I heard.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #199 of 325
Quote:

At times we think we find an improvement to take place only because we really just want an improvement. Manufactures play the coloration game only to help us on our terminal illusion process. Hind-sight is always 100% 20/20.

To be fair-- I probably would have been just fine stopping at the HD650 and the WA6.  

I just sensed that there was a little more for me if I stepped a little closer to the edge of the sonic envelope, and frankly, I was curious.

I guess $5000 dollars is the price of my curiosity...  Unless I add another headphone...

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #200 of 325
"Ween - Stay Forever" with an OTL amp and HD650's, Absolute Nirvana

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #201 of 325
To be fair-- I probably would have been just fine stopping at the HD650 and the WA6.  

I just sensed that there was a little more for me if I stepped a little closer to the edge of the sonic envelope, and frankly, I was curious.

I guess $5000 dollars is the price of my curiosity...  Unless I add another headphone...

Curiosity killed the cat.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #202 of 325
Quote:

Everyone has their curiosity. People blow 7K in a night in Vegas. It truly is about finding out stuff. You only live once. I'm totally happy on the money I spent. The fact that it can bring enjoyment and satisfaction. The worst thing (maybe even more scary) is to go and never realize your dreams.

I think it's just all about the "wow" factor. So no matter what level of money was spent, to just feel impressed with what we have time after time. I have heard super expensive headphone systems and they did "wow" me but spending 5X more money for 35% better sound was out of my league, even though my Wife wouldn't let me spend the money in the first place.
wink.gif

I guess my definition of Nirvana would be getting a system that left you with-out wanting time and time again. If you were to average out the money spent over all the years you could enjoy it, then it really all starts to look very conservative money wise. It could even be the price folks spend on going out to plays and theater and musical shows.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #203 of 325
Quote:
Curiosity killed the cat.

Quote:
"Ween - Stay Forever" with an OTL amp and HD650's, Absolute Nirvana

Some of the best audiophiles I have seen, keep all the packages and paperwork. If they do go out on a limb (like cats do). They can sell their gear used for close to what they paid. Any loss is chalked up to learning and they can go back to their starter system again. Kind of like ditching your trophy wife and dating your first wife.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #204 of 325
Quote:

Some of the best audiophiles I have seen, keep all the packages and paperwork. If they do go out on a limb (like cats do). They can sell their gear used for close to what they paid. Any loss is chalked up to learning and they can go back to their starter system again. Kind of like ditching your trophy wife and dating your first wife.

My entire setup including tubes, cables, cost about $1500, and honestly; I couldn't be happier.

I didn't spend more than $25 on any cable and more than $40 on any set of tubes.

Gear that is truly neutral doesn't appeal to me, I listen for enjoyment only, so something that's warm and full bodied is best for me.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #205 of 325
Quote:
Here's the funny negative to this: A lot of music I used to like sounds poor through my equipment as the flaws in the recording quality is apparent. So all that music I used to like years ago has been relegated to being listened to in my car, or on public transport, on flights and the like. 

Some of my favorite music has the most appalling recording quality, I would never relegate it to incidental listening for that reason and if a setup could not convey its strengths then I would not call it an excellent setup regardless of its cost and resolution. To much emphasis is placed on clarity these days, it is the same with photography and film.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #207 of 325
Quote:
This is an interesting topic to ponder. What I can say after going through a lot of gear and having an crazy (by normal, non-Head-Fier) standards expensive rig is that there is a lot of music I can now appreciate that I couldn't before I started. An interesting consequence has been that I now have a speaker rig that blows away what my father had for the same money as he spent a couple of decades ago. So if I were to answer the question myself right now, I'd say all I'm lacking is more interesting, well-recorded music! Here's the funny negative to this: A lot of music I used to like sounds poor through my equipment as the flaws in the recording quality is apparent. So all that music I used to like years ago has been relegated to being listened to in my car, or on public transport, on flights and the like. This has balanced things out nicely. I get to appreciate it still without any desire to hear it on higher-quality equipment and can just enjoy it whenever I'm not at home.

What I find sad though is that audio can be such a big quagmire for people new to it, but for headphone listening at least, you can get a lot better gear for less than was possible, say, 5 years ago.

I find it a sad phenomena when music lovers becomes audiophiles and instead of listening to good music mostly listen to bad well recorded music just because of how revealing their gear is. I have seen this happen again and again and I've noticed the same symptoms with me to some degree. The more gear centric people get the less music centric I've seen them become.
When I see someone listen to Diana Krall I know that person have lost all sense of what music is all about... Maybe they just had bad taste in music before but common now. There is music that have both a technical and musical quality.
If someone catch me listening to mediocre sleepy jazz nonsense please do an intervention!

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #208 of 325
Quote:

I find it a sad phenomena when music lovers becomes audiophiles and instead of listening to good music mostly listen to bad well recorded music just because of how revealing their gear is. I have seen this happen again and again and I've noticed the same symptoms with me to some degree. The more gear centric people get the less music centric I've seen them become.
When I see someone listen to Diana Krall I know that person have lost all sense of what music is all about... Maybe they just had bad taste in music before but common now. There is music that have both a technical and musical quality.
If someone catch me listening to mediocre sleepy jazz nonsense please do an intervention!

Oh, come on!!!  Diana Krall is awesome!  I already loved her much before becoming an audiophile.  Now it is just better.
L3000.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #210 of 325
I just pop in the forum back now and then to read about new headphones. But my 'nirvana' search ended with the K1000's. Properly amplified they are the ultimate headphones for me. They are not perfect in recreating audio, there are other headphones doing a better job doing that last 5%. However its the only presentation of audio acceptable to me. I'm a speaker listener 90% of the time, and when I put on normal headphones, it is just really really annoying to me, to hear everything 'out of place'. I can listen to the K1000's for hours without annoying my neighbours, or without getting annoyed with the presentation of the sound. Something that seems lost on most people is that its all about finding your PERSONAL best headphone/setup, not about finding the most expensive, or what 90% of the people like. Its all about YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back