Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Aug 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 325

nehcrow

1000+ Head-Fier
Just curious... or are you guys only going to satisfied until you've gotten the Stax SR009?
...Because I've pretty much reached my pinnacle, the Alessandro MS-Pro's. They are definitely end-game for me!
Heaps of clarity and detail yet doesn't render My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless' unlistenable.
All I need is a decent closed back headphone for when's it's way too noisy in the household (Probably going with the Beyerdynamic DT250)

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 325
I don't think everyone is moving towards the SR-009; personal preference is something I observe people eventually coming to grips with as they spend more time in and around the hobby.

That said, I'd like to think I'm pretty well satisfied/served with what I have in terms of "chasing the dragon" but still have curiosity about other products. :xf_eek:

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 325
I don't know if it's an actual Nirvana but I'm very pleased with the rig I've been using for the last 12 months. It's no high-end by any means (Stax 600ltd, Stax507) but it has a good price-value ratio: anything 'higher-end' will be too expensive and hard to justify :)

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 325
As far as full sized headphones I am quite happy to stop with the LCD2's I have heard most of the more expensive headphones like the 009's and HD800's and I am more than happy with the sound I have. For me with the equipment I use I think the synergy is perfect. If I had a home based system then the Stax would appeal but I don't see that happening any time soon!

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 325
With both the SR009 and the LCD3 in the inventory, I would say I am quite satisfied at the moment, but I won't be able to tell what is the true audio nirvana until my BhSE arrives. :D Wait, I probably won't be sure even then. :)

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 325
My nirvana at the moment is the 007 MkII with GES. By the end of the year I'm thinking of a LL + 009. Or the new Sennheiser system. Or both.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 325
I think I'm pretty close to it already, but the answer probably isn't what you're expecting.

Stax SR-Lambda -> SRD-7/SB -> Onkyo TX-SV515PRO (solely used as a speaker amp for the SRD-7/SB since I had one lying around, and I'd be willing to replace both of those with a dedicated amp when the time comes)

This particular Lambda had its drivers rebuilt, so I can't quite say it's indicative of the proper Normal bias Lambda sound, but I like it. Better than the SR-202 due to midrange presentation, even, though I still had to use a different amp system due to the bias difference (the SR-202 was being driven with an SRM-212). My wallet will probably thank me for this, since the Normal bias SR-Lambdas are generally a heck of a lot more affordable than its numerous Pro bias descendants.

While I still get the strong temptation to sample other Stax or electrostatics in general, at least I'm not feeling the urge to spend the big bucks on the SR-009 and BHSE. Lambdas sound pretty great too, especially the ones that excel at midrange.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 325
True headphone nirvana will be one that has the best measurements, weighs next to nothing, is extremely durable, and can be driven off anything. I don't forsee the combination of all of these to come anytime soon.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 325
I've been really happy with my LCD-2 (5/2011, among the last of the originals) for the past 15 months, and it's been my most expensive headphone purchase.  I consider this my end-game headphone, and the only foreseeable purchase I'll make is if I end up needing a closed headphone.

In the meantime, I have been looking around for a good earbud or IEM.  My Yuin PK2 and PK3 both broke after several months of regular use and I'm currently settling with a pair of unsatisfying Sony earbuds I got while at an airport.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 325
I've found it - a HD600 and a half-decent amp to go with it, I really don't need more to be happy. I fact, I'm happier this way than with any high-end-stuff that I've tried. I'm just not smart enough to realize that and to stop buying more gear. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 325
I have the same LCD's and find my final audio Heaven S's a good IEM equivalent, well, they are not the same I know but they convey in a similar way the richness and detail as well as emotion of my LCD's.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 325
For me it's unfortunately the 009. Might cost an arm and a leg, but once I get my LL, 009, and Nottingham turntable I don't see any of them going anywhere.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 325
I haven't heard any of the other high end headphone systems so I've nothing to compare mine with, but I have the 009's + BHSE and the SQ is quite special. I did hear IanG's LL with my 009's and to my ears that pair was almost as good as the BHSE + 009's combo but not quite. Hopefully later this year I'll receive the Aristaeus I have on order, so it'll be interesting how it drives my 009's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back