A Twisted Review: HD800's Calculative, Clinical and Sterile Soul
Aug 24, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #61 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think a lot of people here realize how much burn in the HD800 requires to smooth out its high frequency response. I posted yesterday, before this thread was started, in the "HD800 Break-in thread" that they need atleast 400+ hours. The OP said he burned the 800's in for 1-1/2 weeks which equates to roughly 250 hrs. My findings were that even with 250 hrs, the HD800 high frequency response was metallic and too sharp sounding. This issue smooths out quite significantly beyond 400 hrs. Beyond 400 hrs, the headphone takes on a warmer and smoother response that was not evident at 250 hrs. I have close to 450 hrs of burn-in now and I'm not sure they are fully burned in yet but they clearly sound better than they did at 250.

I thought Burn in was a myth
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #62 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't write anything offensive, so I wouldn't apologize. ... Don't take it personally. This is how FB's respond to negative reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread just demonstrates that the readership here, in general, cannot handle negative reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...What I don't understand is why so many of you feel the need to discredit these people. Doing so is not going to make your headphones sound any better. It is so bad on the headphone forum that it seems to me the main goal of any criticism must be to not offend the sensibilities of the folks on the other side of the fence. And if by chance that should happen, well, the thread will quickly become about the individuals leveling the critcism: their lack of social grace, lack of political correctness, their lack of quality amps and sources, their lack of knowledge, anything...to divert attention away from the real subject at hand -- which is their dissatisfaction with an expensive headphone that so many people seemed to like. And that is a fact that is used time and again to beat down any criticism posted by someone who is not member of the club (or rather clique) on this board.

Again: Nobody has attacked the OP for not liking the HD 800. Please read the criticisms carefully! And if possible without trying to get your bias confirmed.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #64 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again: Nobody has attacked the OP for not liking the HD 800. Please read the criticisms carefully! And if possible without trying to get your bias confirmed.

My bias? LOL. So now the very fact that I have pointed out what is wrong with so many of these threads makes me biased.

Sir, your sense of irony and comedy reigns supreme. Remember what I said about being able to stomach only so much hypocracy? I have had my fill for today. Ta-ta!
smile.gif

--Jerome

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #65 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you like stats and the R10/L3000 more than the HD800. that still seems pretty positive to me.

After all.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #66 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
davidhunternyc, the only complaint I've heard from you is that you don't like the plastic or color on the HD800, and you only have to repeat yourself 10 times, not 100 times, to get your point across on forums. You also keep saying as if it was fact that the HD800 has bad and cheap design. Well I've asked you many times to photoshop it to make it look better and I haven't seen you do it so I think you don't know any way to improve the design of the HD800. I don't think you know anything about materials either since you keep dismissing when people say plastic is preferable to other materials sometimes. And it's really annoying you continuously compare the HD800's materials to headphones that cost much more (especially when you factor in inflation). What the hell do you know about economics and what materials is best in order for making Sennheiser more money (which is the ultimate goal of any company)? I think you're totally unrealistic when it comes to design and also economics.

And your claim that people are frowned upon for talking bad about headphones, I've talked serious crap about all my headphones and nobody ever got on my back. You have very bad people's skills, that's why so many people here jump on your back whenever you try to say anything contrary to general opinion. And the only other people you convince of your point that plastic is cheap are people who are ignorant of the myriad types and uses of plastic like yourself.

Why should I have to do what you say? Why would I even want to photoshop the HD800 when first, others already have, and second, because I do not think that the fundamental lines and proportions are harmonious? I am not in a defensive position here. I don't have to do anything. If you think that that HD800 is brilliant design, so be it. Instead of attacking me, explain yourself? I have stated that the HD800 has "borrowed" its design from the the Qualia 010. I did not say that it is engineered after the Qualia 010. Can you discern the difference between these two statements? Also, you do not read carefully. Look at my opening post and really read what I have to say about plastic. There is plastic, and then there is silver spray-painted plastic. They are not the same. I even think there probably would be a way for Sennheiser to use Leona plastic and still make the HD800 a convincing design. If you think that plastic was used to solely to control unwanted resonances, then you should write to the engineers of Ultrasone, Grado, Sony, JVC, and Audio Technica, and tell them that their headphones are flawed. Please, read my OP and respond to my reasoning. If you disagree with my post, then reason why. If you don't want to take my comments on, fine, it is your prerogative, but you have no reason to attack me.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #67 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it that if someone has a negative critique of a headphone on this forum, that this is frowned upon? Yet, if someone has a positive critique about a headphone, then this is somehow good and morally correct?

It's because a negative review is offensive to some people who own and love that headphone. Differing opinions and takes are also offensive to them.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #68 of 167
Yes, you are right Beagle, it is that simple. I am an artist and plenty of people don't like my art but I am secure enough with myself and my craft to not care. I do not feel personally offended. Also, I have plenty of friends who are artists and we often have disagreements over art that we like and dislike, but none of us have slandered each other like some people do on this forum.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #69 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have calculative, clinical and sterile soul which I have never related to music. HD800 defenders, please dont give me the "neutrality" defense, laboratory measured neutrality is very different than neutrality in a real musical performance... I care for the later.

I am listening to the third movement of Brahms Symphony No. 3 in F on the 800s. It sounds like the real deal. More so than any other headphone I've listened to.

After just performing Brahms 3 in the Bozeman Symphony last season, I figured it would be a good way to see if indeed the HD800 was more "clinical" or more "natural" (as defined by a "real musical performance").

I like comparing live performances to recordings of the same material when determining "neutrality in a real musical performance." It's even better if you can listen to a recording of the exact same performance, but sometimes you just have to approximate.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with other types of live music.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #70 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously though, if you think everything just gets better and better as we go through time because that is the natural law of the universe, fine. My ears and experience tell me otherwise. No current headphone is giving me more information from my recordings than my 30 year old phones are. If some think that exaggerating certain parts of the frequency spectrum (at the expense of others) is "better" or "more detailed". they're wrong. If people think that moving the drivers away from the ear adds a soundstage and spaciousness to multi-tracked pop recordings that isn't there to begin with, they're wrong. IEM's have improved over the old ones but they couldn't have made them any worse.

Fair enough, if that is your opinion. Everyone entitles to his or her opinion. But in the earlier post, you made a sweeping statement implying that those who like the HD800 must have deluded themselves into thinking that it is a good headphone because of its pricing.

There is nothing wrong with difference of opinions on a particular headphone, I have some friends who love and some who dislike the HD800. But generalizing all that have different opionion from you are somehow deluding themselves or they are not hearing it right is plain arrogance. The same goes to the pro-HD800 camp as well.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #71 of 167
GuyDebord, I never criticized your opinion. I don't have a problem with it. What I'm saying is that calling people deluded fanboys if they happen to disagree with you is the problem. If you had left that part out, this discussion would not have happened.

SmellyGas, you would have started a fight even if you had liked the HD-800.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #72 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am listening to the third movement of Brahms Symphony No. 3 in F on the 800s. It sounds like the real deal. More so than any other headphone I've listened to.

After just performing Brahms 3 in the Bozeman Symphony last season, I figured it would be a good way to see if indeed the HD800 was more "clinical" or more "natural" (as defined by a "real musical performance").

I like comparing live performances to recordings of the same material when determining "neutrality in a real musical performance." It's even better if you can listen to a recording of the exact same performance, but sometimes you just have to approximate.

Geek, are you saying the HD800 sounds like a live orchestra as heard by one of the players, as opposed to someone in one of the middle seats? An orchestra heard up close will of course sound more lively (read, "bright") than one heard from 20 rows back. What I hear from my 650s is the 20 row sound, but comments here seem to suggest the 800 does indeed give a more close-up sound.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #73 of 167
I have far less experience than many who have commented, but I find that each of my phones (and amps) have certain synergy with certain recordings (and less with others). Whether it be the recording, the music, the mastering, instrumentation, what have you. Maybe the HD800s just don't snow on Bugge's piano. Try something else and see if they come to life. Just a thought...

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #74 of 167
pp312,

At really high volumes, you're a little closer to the podium... perhaps at it. At a listenable volume it sounds par with being a good 10-15 yards from the stage.

It's pretty much the same kind of distance as with the HD600. Perhaps a little closer than the 650s.

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #75 of 167
Also, I should clarify... when I mean loud I mean loud... upper 90s. Playing in a Symphony is quite intense.

I get a similar effect listening to Solti's Mahler recordings.

Listening at lower volumes, depending on the recording, could produce a row 20 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back