£100 IEMs, a little confused on what to get.
Sep 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eltocliousus

Member of the Trade: Audible Bond
I'm currently using a Sansa clip+ and FiiO E11, and looking to upgrade from my Brainwavz M4s, I've set a budget of £100 ($160) but I can't make a decision and would like some opinions, my music preferences are varied, I listen to just about everything except rock/metal, emphasis on vocal, electronic and down-tempo, I love soundstage and seperation, and lush mids (vocals).

At the minute I'm learning towards the Brainwavz B2s (Fischer Audio DBA-02) having had good success with mp4nation, and looking at a lot of positive reviews on them, apparently they have great seperation/soundstage and decent lows/mids, however the treble can be a little piercing at times, they also look quite good.
I can also get a pair of TripleFi 10s used for £100, however I've heard they're V-shaped all the way through and don't want to sacrifrice mids.

Thanks for any opinions.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 10
The Sony EX600, EX7550 offers fairly wide soundstage, great instruments separation and detailed mids. Other IEMs like RE0, RE262, GR07 are great buy for the price and they offers amazing soundquality.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not a massive fan of the Grados 'look', they're a tad strange, almost alien-like, although the HiFiMANs are a strong option, I've tried a lot of HiFiMAN products in the past and own a few now, none of them have let me down.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 10
Iv got a set of b2's only used for review in as new condition fully boxed in the for sale section to the uk if thats any use.

Was looking at the re262 as well but if we get caught with customs over here it baloons the price.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626159/braiwavz-b2-as-new-final-price-drop

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 10
The B2 doesn't have a lush mids and vocals, if anything it's a bit cool-sounding due to the treble tilt. The dba02mkii is slightly warmer and is a better choice.

The combination of lush mids/vocals and soundstage/separation is not easy to find at this price range. Maybe the se215 (a bit midbassy though), or the Phonak pfe?

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 10
From M4 to B2 is a big step in a different direction. M4 is U-shaped, you might want to try something else than B2. No idea what you could try, I don't like U-shaped IEMs.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
From M4 to B2 is a big step in a different direction. M4 is U-shaped, you might want to try something else than B2. No idea what you could try, I don't like U-shaped IEMs.

I'll be honest, I mostly bought the M4s as they were on offer at the time, and the M4s + FiiO E11 fit my budget down to the penny, and having a browse through some reviews, the M4s were well liked, no doub the M4s are a great pair, I'm really enjoying them so far, but then again I've never had a decent IEM before, and the mids that I love in my desktop setup (LCD-2/HE-300) are lacking in the M4s a bit, hence the want to upgrade. 

I do appreciate all the suggestions, it is a shame that a mid-centric IEM isn't in my budget, I've found the mids to be a fairly difficult thing to get on headphones and had to go all the way for the LCD-2s to get what I wanted, so my expectations are probably a little bit out of shape at the minute, but anything a little more neutral than my current M4s would be a bonus, just to even out that U shaped EQ, and bring out the vocals just a little more.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 10
There are some options below 100 GBP.
Hisound Crystals is a very good all-rounder that isolates very good, only flaw I could see, is its narrow soundstage.
Another one: A161P/SBA-03 but I haven't heard that one.

Sunrise Xcape v1/IE, RE-ZERO, ...
My newest IEM is the FXT90 and after trying almost all tips I have, I have settled on shure olives, they tame the treble and make the notes softer at the cost of some detail and overall performance/authority.
There are SO many good IEMs and you don't need to spend $250+ top get great sound. I got most of my IEMs at the FS/FT forum, you can save up a few pounds/euros/dollars that way and find a lot of IEMs there. I have bought a hole set of $100-$250 IEMs in the last few years to try out all top performers for that price.
A very cheap option is Brainwavz M1 to try out a sweet, musical IEM with forward mids. Or get a Knowles SR based IEM, those can be had for $50 and even less. Rockit R-50 is a dual dynamic that gets great comments and doesn't cost much, ... I can go on.

Read some reviews, try to figure out what you want to discover in your favourite music and decide.

B2 is a great option but it can be hit or miss. You will be amazed but might hate the brightness at the same time. Taming the treble with Comply tips there or adding a warm amp can help.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
The Sony EX600, EX7550 offers fairly wide soundstage, great instruments separation and detailed mids. Other IEMs like RE0, RE262, GR07 are great buy for the price and they offers amazing soundquality.

Good recommendations here, I'd add one if you live in Canada and can get to a Future Shop before they are all sold...JVC HA-FTX90's for $69!  Great sound, great price!  I'm buying a second pair tomorrow.

Keep on loving the music.

Cheers,
TBB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back