Zishan Z4 - DAP with Dual DAC ES9038Q2M | Dual AMP OPA1622 | USB 32-bit + DSD | Bluetooth LDAC 24-bit | Balanced 2,5/4,4 | LO/PO 3,5mm
Sep 22, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #331 of 620
Someone with 6th version of Z4 player can take photo of PCB, and also if it possible check buttons hardness?

Z4 version 6 come with V0.2 software as well.
Can You test polarity of channels under USB-DAC and Bluetooth mode?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #332 of 620
@Setmagic Since I have pure silence with BT mode in my Z4, I don't want to touch the battery when I don't have to :)
So, for pictures of PCB from my side, you have to wait a while...

Regarding the software, you have right; it comes with v0.2. Most probably version from 30.08.

The polarity of channels is OK in USB-DAC and BT modes. However, the wrong info about 16bit/24bit files is still present (at the beginning was OK, but probably after DSD/MQA playback was set on 16bit :)).

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #333 of 620
@PiR2 it's sad... but I'm understand you.
I managed to run L/R in on USB/BT correct. I think it's depends of correct use of changing source options in player on 0.2 firmware.
After several times of firmware rolling i found sound quality is a little bit better on V0.2.
Less problems with DSD files as well than V0.1.

After all these weeks I decided to use it as full time audio source. With phone as a BT reciver, USB with PC and as a player for relax few hours day by day. Mostly with modded DT150 250Ohm and Jade Audio IEMs (all balanced). Only buttons are really hurt. Can't be perfectly aligned just need MrHiAudio 3D print buttons for sure (mod in first post in thread). In balanced mode I can run it about 6h but I'm always plug charging when use as DAC on 0.2 firmware it's possible to connect to PC as USB-C charger without force mass storage mode.
LDAC (Auto) probably mostly 330 and max 660kb/s works smooth and it's way better than APTX. 990 kbps is very demanding and just too close to phone.

There is big difference between USB-DAC and Bluetooth mode.
Forced 990kb/s 24/96 using 24/96 audio (best possible quality in Bluetooth) is nice but USB-DAC is noticeable better so it's a good sign.

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #337 of 620
That's means listening to my XM4 using wire better than BT signal from Z4. I see.... Thanks a lot.
And better than any BT signal.

XM4 was made for BT connection and as BT headphones are really good compared to most BT Headphones but wire connection Its still better.

If You connect Z4 using Bluetooth connection to smartphone and MX4 to Z4 quality of sound will be better than only MX4 to smartphone via BT as well.

Best to use only wired if You listen to lossless sound quality in good listen (quite) environment.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #338 of 620
@PiR2 can you remove battery and take high quality picture of PCB this latest version of Z4?
It will be very helpful.
Mine is V5 Yours is V6.
I set up a digital microscope during the weekend, so you can expect high-quality pictures soon :)

Z4_microscope.jpg

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #339 of 620
I merged 26 photos in Hugin, so there is still some artefacts after stitching and blending input pics.
I'm still learning how to use Hugin. Then after some time, I will edit the below link to the next version of the file.

Link to high-quality photo of ZiShan Z4 PCB v6

ZiShan_Z4_PCB_v6_1960.jpg

Attachments

• ZiShan_Z4_PCB_v6_1960.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #340 of 620
I merged 26 photos in Hugin, so there is still some artefacts after stitching and blending input pics.
I'm still learning how to use Hugin. Then after some time, I will edit the below link to the next version of the file.

Amazing quality of picture! Thank You :D
Soldering on F1C100S chip on the left is horrible, need re-solder for sure, same with power cables they can be shorted.

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #341 of 620

Its me or your device had a solder joint? on the opamp opa16xx near the relay in the capacitor and resistance

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #342 of 620
Soldering on F1C100S chip on the left is horrible, need re-solder for sure, same with power cables they can be shorted.
It's a combination of artefacts from picture stitching, lousy soldering, and unskillful fixing of issue from Post #317 :) Now looks much better. I invested in soldering stuff after buying the Z4. I'm graduated optoelectronic, but the last time I had a soldering iron in hand 20 years ago :)

Its me or your device had a solder joint? on the opamp opa16xx near the relay in the capacitor and resistance
Indeed, but is in line with the board circuit (look at the mirror layout of O1622 on the right side).

A few general words about my ZiShan Z4: Unfortunately, my version of PCB was crapy, with lots of cold solder joints, bent 5th leg of the left OP275G, etc. The QC at the ZiShan facility is very poor if any at all :). My diagnosis was the too cold furnace in the brazing process or too aggressive temperature profile in the brazing process.
So, I decided to resolder all of the IC chips on the board (including ES9038) and heating to 380oC (5-10sec annealing with AMTECH RMA-223-UV flux) most of the joints in passive elements. I changed the power cable to a copper one and solder '+' terminal directly to the capacitor above the PCB power pads. After all, my ZiShan works flawlessly.
And of course, after work around with crappy buttons :) I used Kapton tape as a spacer and isolation of micro sticks with buttons and a case.

Now, ZiShan Z4 is my favourite DAP!!! :L3000: Before I used mainly dongles (Shanling UA2, iBasso DC01 - still waiting for TempoTec E44), but it drains the battery quickly that I had to charge the phone twice a day. Now I like more my KZ AST... if I need a more warm sound, I use Tripowin x HBB Mele... for general listening, I love Mangird TEA.
Another issue relates to the nostalgic reminder of the first real DAP, the Sony NW-HD5 (I brought it back to life after ten years of lying in a drawer).

Z4_HD5.jpg

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #343 of 620
It's a combination of artefacts from picture stitching, lousy soldering, and unskillful fixing of issue from Post #317 :) Now looks much better. I invested in soldering stuff after buying the Z4. I'm graduated optoelectronic, but the last time I had a soldering iron in hand 20 years ago :)

Indeed, but is in line with the board circuit (look at the mirror layout of O1622 on the right side).

A few general words about my ZiShan Z4: Unfortunately, my version of PCB was crapy, with lots of cold solder joints, bent 5th leg of the left OP275G, etc. The QC at the ZiShan facility is very poor if any at all :). My diagnosis was the too cold furnace in the brazing process or too aggressive temperature profile in the brazing process.
So, I decided to resolder all of the IC chips on the board (including ES9038) and heating to 380oC (5-10sec annealing with AMTECH RMA-223-UV flux) most of the joints in passive elements. I changed the power cable to a copper one and solder '+' terminal directly to the capacitor above the PCB power pads. After all, my ZiShan works flawlessly.
And of course, after work around with crappy buttons :) I used Kapton tape as a spacer and isolation of micro sticks with buttons and a case.

Now, ZiShan Z4 is my favourite DAP!!! :L3000: Before I used mainly dongles (Shanling UA2, iBasso DC01 - still waiting for TempoTec E44), but it drains the battery quickly that I had to charge the phone twice a day. Now I like more my KZ AST... if I need a more warm sound, I use Tripowin x HBB Mele... for general listening, I love Mangird TEA.
Another issue relates to the nostalgic reminder of the first real DAP, the Sony NW-HD5 (I brought it back to life after ten years of lying in a drawer).

Z4_HD5.jpg
OMG. At first, I am thinking of ordering Z4 as my first DAP. But after reading through this thread, I am a bit disappointed with Z4 QC.

A friend of mine planning to let go of his DSDs dual AK4497, do you guys think it is still worth it nowadays?

Tom

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #344 of 620
OMG. At first, I am thinking of ordering Z4 as my first DAP. But after reading through this thread, I am a bit disappointed with Z4 QC.

A friend of mine planning to let go of his DSDs dual AK4497, do you guys think it is still worth it nowadays?

Tom
Go to Z4 :wink: it's nice.
I had simply bad luck and was too lazy (or better, too ambitious :wink:) to send it back to the seller from AliX. Then I did fixing systematically. That's my perfectionist nature.

Frankly, I recommend Z4!
If your Z4 would be crappy, send it back. I bought my in NiceHCK Audio Store. They accept returns.

Edited: BTW, it is always worth pointing out QC issues, whatever Chinese, US or EU producers.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #345 of 620

Tom
Well, all Zishans have bad QC that's why they are so cheap, but I see no visible difference on first look in versions of Z4 PCB v5 and v6.
I have DSDs D4497 too, and it's really nice, but can't work ad USB-DAC and don't have BT.
If price of used DSDs will be lower than new Z4, and You plan to do some basic mods and 3,5 mm headphones, I will go for DSDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back