Zishan Z4 - DAP with Dual DAC ES9038Q2M | Dual AMP OPA1622 | USB 32-bit + DSD | Bluetooth LDAC 24-bit | Balanced 2,5/4,4 | LO/PO 3,5mm
Sep 28, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #346 of 620
Well, all Zishans have bad QC that's why they are so cheap, but I see no visible difference on first look in versions of Z4 PCB v5 and v6.
I have DSDs D4497 too, and it's really nice, but can't work ad USB-DAC and don't have BT.
If price of used DSDs will be lower than new Z4, and You plan to do some basic mods and 3,5 mm headphones, I will go for DSDs.
Actually the 2nd hand price for AKM DSDs here is higher than Z4. Nowadays everybody purposely raise the price for DAC with AKM chips. ESS chipset device nowadays cheaper. Hahaha

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #347 of 620
Actually the 2nd hand price for AKM DSDs here is higher than Z4. Nowadays everybody purposely raise the price for DAC with AKM chips. ESS chipset device nowadays cheaper. Hahaha
It's about individual preferences, when I got my Z4 my highly modded DSDs is no longer in use.
But I invest about 80$ in my DSDs modification and on 3,5 mm SE headphones is way better than 3,5 Z4.

Balanced 2,5/4,4 in Z4 give better sound, but even highly modded Z4 still can't beat highly modded DSDs Dual AK4497 in terms of sound.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #348 of 620
my Z4 arrived a few days ago, whats my thought bout this dap,
- balanced out sounds a lot better than single ended and its too powerfull, its louder than my dsds ak4499 even in turbo mode,
- sounds very good to me, a slightly warm, very satisfying strong bass, and wide soundstage
- in term of sound technicality is very good for the price, my ak4499 far superior especially in detail, mid-treble extensions, and taller soundstage
- no heating issue like my dsds ak4499
- better firmware, more stable than dsds

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #349 of 620
my Z4 arrived a few days ago, whats my thought bout this dap,
- balanced out sounds a lot better than single ended and its too powerfull, its louder than my dsds ak4499 even in turbo mode,
- sounds very good to me, a slightly warm, very satisfying strong bass, and wide soundstage
- in term of sound technicality is very good for the price, my ak4499 far superior especially in detail, mid-treble extensions, and taller soundstage
- no heating issue like my dsds ak4499
- better firmware, more stable than dsds
Thanks for your good review

I think so It is best dap for these price

I love it.

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #350 of 620
Hello, can anyone comment on the 3.5 line out? I am looking to move from desktop DACs but don't want to sacrifice too much, is there any real benefit on spending a lot more on an iBasso, Hiby or Sony , for SQ? Also I can't find any details on the new DSDs with dual ES3098 which is also an option , thanks in advance

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #352 of 620
Hello, can anyone comment on the 3.5 line out? I am looking to move from desktop DACs but don't want to sacrifice too much, is there any real benefit on spending a lot more on an iBasso, Hiby or Sony , for SQ? Also I can't find any details on the new DSDs with dual ES3098 which is also an option , thanks in advance
Yes there is a huge difference. Zishan players are for diy and without modding sound not that great. Any stock player Form ibasso, hiby or Sony will sound a lot better. Pure Sq wise Zishan have potential but never sound really good while without mods. An ibasso-dc03 is superior to these players.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #355 of 620
I talked with an aliexpress store, which knows the zishan.
They said that firmware 0.3 would be possible (when they did not say specifically).
Rockbox is probably not worth waiting for(bcz cant play DSD files).
In new versions, the button will be easier to press

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #356 of 620
I talked with an aliexpress store, which knows the zishan.
They said that firmware 0.3 would be possible (when they did not say specifically).
Rockbox is probably not worth waiting for(bcz cant play DSD files).
In new versions, the button will be easier to press
0.3 firmware was released yesterday on Baidu:
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1l2eHKDvs3eVuZFjh440OnQ
Code: z4z4

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #357 of 620
0.3 firmware was released yesterday on Baidu:
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1l2eHKDvs3eVuZFjh440OnQ
Code: z4z4

Everything is fine! The annoying cut off latest second is gone!!

I attached the firmware because download of baidu is awful...

Change Log (translated by google):
* 0.3 version:
- Ignore the cover analysis of the dsf format for the time being, otherwise it will be stuck due to the excessively large resolution of some covers
- Fix the problem that 24b is displayed as 32b
- Optimize LCD driver, speed up display, reduce white screen
- Improve the text description of the filter mode set by the DAC for reference to the manual
- Fix the issue that the tail of the song was chopped off

Upgrade method
1. Download z4app.bin and put it in the root directory of the USB flash drive. The file system format of the USB flash drive needs to be fat32 or exfat, otherwise it will not be recognized
2. Turn on the player
3. Insert the TF card containing z4app.bin into the player
4. The player will automatically verify whether the current firmware is the same as z4app.bin, and if it is different, it will be upgraded to z4app.bin
When upgrading, the following steps will be performed in sequence
Erasing erase the current FLASH
Writing write current FLASH
If the verification is successful, it will automatically restart or shut down, and the process will take about 1 minute. If there is a white screen after the upgrade, restart the player.
5. After the upgrade is successful, check the version number on the setting interface
6. Delete the z4app.bin file on the U disk, otherwise it will be verified every time you boot

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_165256.jpg
    IMG_20211017_165256.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • z4app.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #358 of 620
after flashing i recomend take out sd, turn on player and after starting insert back sd card because in my case after starting was a only grey screen.

So, 0.3 firmw really fast :)

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #360 of 620
Hi, this is the first time I saw an LCD "work" like this. Basically as you can see in the photo, the album art and all the details on the screen is shown, but the LCD is technically "off". I don't know if this can be fixed via software. Just imagine if Zishan can disable this, maybe battery life will be a lot better.

The image shown is using a phone with flash on directed to z4 during backlight "off".

Attachments

• IMG_20211027_021140.jpg
    IMG_20211027_021140.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back