Oct 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #28,051 of 42,298
  An evening of fun; I'm done.
My 2007 iMac died.
I had to get a new one.
I wasn't prepared so I had to dig deep.
But this new iMac is fast fast fast.
So to celebrate.
Music in harmony produced side by side.
My first Woo next to my second Leben (the first Leben was used to trade up the second Leben--the 600).

Sorry to hear about your computer dying. That's never a good experience.  I've had a bad run of luck recently, too.  My son and I were rear-ended on the freeway 10 days ago, and then someone broke into my office and stole some things off of my desk this morning.  Fortunately they did NOT take the WA22 off of my desk.  Not sure what they were thinking.

I love the look of your Leben. I'm considering saving some pennies for one one of these days.  For now, I am eagerly anticipating the build of my EC amp.  I'm not parting with any of my Woos for the time being, though.  Like you, Clayton, I am slowing accumulating amps!

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #28,054 of 42,298
  Sorry to hear about your computer dying. That's never a good experience.  I've had a bad run of luck recently, too.  My son and I were rear-ended on the freeway 10 days ago, and then someone broke into my office and stole some things off of my desk this morning.  Fortunately they did NOT take the WA22 off of my desk.  Not sure what they were thinking.

I love the look of your Leben. I'm considering saving some pennies for one one of these days.  For now, I am eagerly anticipating the build of my EC amp.  I'm not parting with any of my Woos for the time being, though.  Like you, Clayton, I am slowing accumulating amps!

Which EC amp are you having built? I'm awaiting the ZDSE, but like both of you, will add, not replace any Woos, as I find each amp to have its respective strengths. I also note a great deal of similarity of the headphones in yours and my collection. The TH900 is next on my list.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #28,055 of 42,298
  Which EC amp are you having built? I'm awaiting the ZDSE, but like both of you, will add, not replace any Woos, as I find each amp to have its respective strengths. I also note a great deal of similarity of the headphones in yours and my collection. The TH900 is next on my list.

He's building me a 4 x 2A3 amp.  Here's a pic that he sent me over the weekend:

Has speaker taps, is using 6c45pi drivers (the same as the WA7), and a 6d22s rectifier.  To the best of my knowledge, the 6c45pi are not being used for output, only as drivers.  Should be a fun amp!

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #28,056 of 42,298
  Just purchased a pair of Shuguang 300bc's for my WA5, and a pair of "Preferred Series" 247's for the rectifiers (although I am not expecting a major change with the 247's).  I'll let ya'll know if they are any good, as I have not seen anyone rate these tubes yet.  I was gonna buy the Psvane cv181's, but i decided to see how these work out first, currently using the GE 6sn7's NOS stock tubes.  Also just put in an order for a pair of Audeze LCD-2's.  An expensive day indeed!

For me, 5u4g and 300b stock are fine. Those GEs are quite horrible...

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #28,057 of 42,298

Has speaker taps, is using 6c45pi drivers (the same as the WA7), and a 6d22s rectifier.  To the best of my knowledge, the 6c45pi are not being used for output, only as drivers.  Should be a fun amp!

Wow! Looks beautiful. Bet it will sound spectacular. Just got word my customized ZDSE is in burn-in.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #28,058 of 42,298

Wow! Looks beautiful. Bet it will sound spectacular. Just got word my customized ZDSE is in burn-in.

Wrong thread, but what did you customize?

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #28,059 of 42,298

Quite so, easy to be distracted. P&G volume control. I am a big fan of OTL amps since my introduction with a Woo WA3+, of which I will never part. With a GEC A1834 it is very special through HD800 on my ears. Was ready to go WA2 until I heard the ZDSE which is more complimentary to my WA3+. The WA2 would have been an upgrade but in the same sonic signature as the WA3+.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #28,060 of 42,298

Quite so, easy to be distracted. P&G volume control. I am a big fan of OTL amps since my introduction with a Woo WA3+, of which I will never part. With a GEC A1834 it is very special through HD800 on my ears. Was ready to go WA2 until I heard the ZDSE which is more complimentary to my WA3+. The WA2 would have been an upgrade but in the same sonic !signature as the WA3+.

The HD800's are great with OTL's...Enjoy the new amp!

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #28,061 of 42,298
Thank-you. T90 are also good with OTL, but tonight I am going back in time, revisiting Emerson, Lake & Palmer with WA7 and T90. Stock Sovteks. In The Barbarian, Palmer's rapid fire brush work on the snare drum is so articulate and engaging. These are the experiences that make this pursuit of auditory excellence worth the trouble.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #28,062 of 42,298
Thank-you. T90 are also good with OTL, but tonight I am going back in time, revisiting Emerson, Lake & Palmer with WA7 and T90. Stock Sovteks. In The Barbarian, Palmer's rapid fire brush work on the snare drum is so articulate and engaging. These are the experiences that make this pursuit of auditory excellence worth the trouble.

Fabulous! Enjoy the evening.

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #28,063 of 42,298
GalaxyGuy that's a very nice looking amp congratulations.
What 45 tubes will you be using?

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #28,064 of 42,298
  GalaxyGuy that's a very nice looking amp congratulations.
What 45 tubes will you be using?

They are 2A3 tubes.  For the time being I'm going with Craig's suggestion of Shuguang tubes.  I will likely go with EML mesh once my wallet recovers from the amp purchase.  I may try rolling in JJs as well, but we'll have to see what I can afford.  Buying quads of 2A3 tubes is not for the faint of heart.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #28,065 of 42,298

Awesome!  When I heard the BA at a meet this summer I just knew I wanted to get Craig to build an amp for me.  The BA + LCD3 was simply breathtaking. We may need to start an EC amp owners unite thread...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back