Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #26,446 of 42,298
Quote:
Can you make it WA5 walk all over WA22 too? I'm still dreaming about it...
mad.gif

Two peas in a pod... I'm still dreaming about it. 
mad.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #26,450 of 42,298
I always have liked the retro look of tube amps, specially these Woo Audio Amps.
Is cool seeing pictures from the different owners in this thread.

I was wondering, how long have the actual amps have lasted for the current owners? excluding the tubes.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #26,451 of 42,298
Quote:
I was wondering, how long have the actual amps have lasted for the current owners? excluding the tubes.

I have a buddy who has a working 64 year old amp based on the Williamson design from his grandfather. It's more than 3 times his age.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #26,452 of 42,298
Quote:
I always have liked the retro look of tube amps, specially these Woo Audio Amps.

No reliability problems here. When I was in possession of the WA 6 Special Edition, ran it for 18 months/2600 hours without incident. If it weren't for a special head-fier, I'd still be enjoying it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #26,454 of 42,298
Quote:

how different do you think WA2 and WA22 are? 

i feel i can get rid of WA6-SE, but it'd be hard to get rid of WA2. WA6-SE is a great amp and all, but still can show some harshness at times.

The 22 and 2 are quite different in their approach which I think several have eluded at already. When propely set up the 22 has immense potential. The capability to roll / try new flavours is huge which is why I love it. The 2 however is much more limited here. The output tubes are sorted with GECs. The rectifiers are fine and you can swap these but as much as everyone loves the 'ecc88 / e88cc / 6dj8 / 6922 etc etc' this is the limiting factor. The tube is very fashionable atm with everyone seemingly using it but when you get to try some of the older and bigger tubes you see the limitations. I love the ecc88 tube and have hundreds to roll but this is what is holding the 2 back. On the 22, stick in 6F8G, BL63 you will see a decent jump in quality over a huge range of already excellent 6SN7s. These are probably a better sounding tube to the 88 if all else was equal to start with. There are lot's of fine sounding tubes out there we are not using that Woo or others can exploit (2C51 / 5670, 6BL7GT / 6BX7GT, DHT (Direct Heated Triodes). Some tubes are seriously underpriced for what they are but we are using them for headphone amps like EF91, EF92, EF94, EFS95. Then there are the 'fashion' tubes where people spend telephone numbers for tubes. Huge drive to get the ultimate version of an average tube. Unfortunately this is where we are with the ECC88 (and alternatives) but this one is widely available unlike the 'quality' DHTs. We are probably here because of current manufacture. No interest in a quality tube like Mullard ECC88 or Amperex 6DJ8 but obsession for a gold pin CCa. No interest in some amazing Russian variants also.The 596 is now going this route, but  a lovely tube that not so long ago was $10. I think of it as an inside out 5U4GB, another lovely tube which is now much cheaper than the 596! Way too much fashion here and too little engineering and people trying stuff for themselves. The 596 DOES have a very different look in an amp that some will go for, not my scene (though I have them). Rant over (sorry :)) but basically with what Woo has given us on the 2 and 22 then there is much more room to grow on the 22 and do this much less money.

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #26,455 of 42,298
Quote:

The 22 and 2 are quite different in their approach which I think several have eluded at already. When propely set up the 22 has immense potential. The capability to roll / try new flavours is huge which is why I love it. The 2 however is much more limited here. The output tubes are sorted with GECs. The rectifiers are fine and you can swap these but as much as everyone loves the 'ecc88 / e88cc / 6dj8 / 6922 etc etc' this is the limiting factor. The tube is very fashionable atm with everyone seemingly using it but when you get to try some of the older and bigger tubes you see the limitations. I love the ecc88 tube and have hundreds to roll but this is what is holding the 2 back. On the 22, stick in 6F8G, BL63 you will see a decent jump in quality over a huge range of already excellent 6SN7s. These are probably a better sounding tube to the 88 if all else was equal to start with. There are lot's of fine sounding tubes out there we are not using that Woo or others can exploit (2C51 / 5670, 6BL7GT / 6BX7GT, DHT (Direct Heated Triodes). Some tubes are seriously underpriced for what they are but we are using them for headphone amps like EF91, EF92, EF94, EFS95. Then there are the 'fashion' tubes where people spend telephone numbers for tubes. Huge drive to get the ultimate version of an average tube. Unfortunately this is where we are with the ECC88 (and alternatives) but this one is widely available unlike the 'quality' DHTs. We are probably here because of current manufacture. No interest in a quality tube like Mullard ECC88 or Amperex 6DJ8 but obsession for a gold pin CCa. No interest in some amazing Russian variants also.The 596 is now going this route, but  a lovely tube that not so long ago was $10. I think of it as an inside out 5U4GB, another lovely tube which is now much cheaper than the 596! Way too much fashion here and too little engineering and people trying stuff for themselves. The 596 DOES have a very different look in an amp that some will go for, not my scene (though I have them). Rant over (sorry :)) but basically with what Woo has given us on the 2 and 22 then there is much more room to grow on the 22 and do this much less money.

oh ok. and as far as the expensive ECC88s and CCas, the 6F8G/6SN7 still are better? and the WA22 can get even better with tube rolling than the WA2 or WA6-SE? also does the WA22 have that woo audio bass like the WA2/WA6-SE? (i know my HD 800 sounds great on WA2 cause the bass is so good, some might find it slightly colored or muddied, but its good).

Quote:

Some of us have ended up with the three and are still exchanging communication with Jack on the WA5!

!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #26,456 of 42,298
Quote:

We'll see. I started collecting tube amps in September 2009. That makes the first one almost 4 years old. I now have quite a collection and except for the trade-up to the Leben CS600 from the CS300XS, I still own all of them. I did loan the WA2 to Ultrainferno for a year just because it can take that long to fall in love (or not) with one depending on the tubes you use. I also have 2 ss amps one of which was built by Corey of SWA.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #26,459 of 42,298
Quote:

We'll see. I started collecting tube amps in September 2009. That makes the first one almost 4 years old. I now have quite a collection and except for the trade-up to the Leben CS600 from the CS300XS, I still own all of them. I did loan the WA2 to Ultrainferno for a year just because it can take that long to fall in love (or not) with one depending on the tubes you use. I also have 2 ss amps one of which was built by Corey of SWA.

One of the best collections I may add!

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #26,460 of 42,298
Quote:

How is the Leben CS600 compare to CS300XS?  This one is on my short list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back