Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #25,546 of 42,298
ive had tubes with small glass pieces inside, normally isn't a problem. 

May 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #25,551 of 42,298
I just looked at the Woo site. The WA5 has square feet (or square-ish feet). Cool. And I already own the tubes that it uses. And it is also a speaker amp! Let me see....

May 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #25,553 of 42,298
A bit of glass inside the bulb shouldn't be any problem. Just fire it up and hear

Thanks for the help. I put them in and didn't get any bad things out of the amp when I turned it on. No noise when I turned the volume up. Listened to Diana Krall / Peel Me a Grape just as a check and all was well so I guess I'll let them burn in for awhile before sitting down for a real listen. Thanks again.

May 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #25,554 of 42,298
May 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #25,555 of 42,298
Quote:
I don't see these on their website....new?
Quote:
Still haven't decided if I'll go WA5 mono blocks this summer (Jul/Aug)

Not new, they have been doing custom configurations for a while but only display standard offerings on their website. Can build the WA5 using the '45' tube as well.

I'm not sure about the rest of my valued Woozies, but when I go out to eat and don't see what I want on the menu, "Would you kindly 
tongue_smile.gif
make me a..." 

May 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #25,556 of 42,298
Quote:
Ok, so I got another click on the LEFT channel AGAIN! (I swapped the power tubes so if it was a tube, I'm assuming it should have been the right side) so part of me is thinking it's the low impedance side headphone plug maybe loose (sometimes the contacts don't work and needs to be 'jiggled' or reseated).  So my next test is to listen to to the high impedance jack....

That being said, I was looking to try 6FD7, but noticed that "WA6-SE shipped prior April 17, 2010 is not compatible." A anyone have any idea how to figure out when my amp was shipped?  I tried asking Jack, but he said he needed the original owner's name but my amp has had a few owners prior to me and that information seems to be lost to time.

The SN is S0509046 and has blackgate caps and goldpoint stepped pot.

Thanks!

Quote:
My WooAudio Black WA 6 Special Edition shipped appx 5 or 6 July, 2010. Let me see if I can find the serial number. I recorded it but all my written records/journals are in storage.

Don't fret... I've another 
evil_smiley.gif
 idea.

So bad news, I definitely think one of the 6EM7s are causing the popping the channel switched to the right side hard core...  More bad news; my amp is not compatible with 6FD7.

So I just rolled back in the stock 6DE7 in a sulking manner and started up some Hotel California....and bam, I'm tapping my toes and bopping my head.  And I thought to myself "damn, these are pretty good too" and decided to stop chasing the last 5% and just enjoy the amp.... for now. =x

May 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #25,558 of 42,298
Quote:

Not new, they have been doing custom configurations for a while but only display standard offerings on their website. Can build the WA5 using the '45' tube as well.

I'm not sure about the rest of my valued Woozies, but when I go out to eat and don't see what I want on the menu, "Would you kindly 
tongue_smile.gif
make me a..." 

so you want to go with 45 on your wa5?  or can jack make you with 2a3?  i hate too much options sometimes.....

and when i go to eat/shop i usually go for the best value, especially when i'm not sure what to get

May 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #25,559 of 42,298
Quote:

the golden lion, never tried on my wa5 but i heard it from other spearker amps.  not really think or thick.  very average.  sure better than the stock tubes. 
HD650, a little thin.... what are your tubes combination? 
and ultrasone, they hate woo, or wa5 at least.  i tried my hfi-780, signature pro and ed8.  never sound good at all. 

I have the stock tube combination in my wa5, hopefully this is the reason the system sounds thin.  Nobody seems to like the Ultrasone brand with wa5, I agree.   I am about to pull the trigger on the EML 300b or the Sophia mesh 300b power tubes and the EML mesh 5u4g or the Sophia 247b mesh as the rectifiers.  I need a cheaper hobby.  Maybe I should take up jogging.  
biggrin.gif
  Oh, Karen Mok is quite a sweetie, and Diana Krall too! 

May 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #25,560 of 42,298
That's what I did for my 6SN7 adapters...just asked. After verifying that's what I really wanted, they took the order. Great customer communication experience in my book. Can't wait until I get them. Hmmm, those monos sure look sweet. :)

...but when I go out to eat and don't see what I want on the menu, "Would you kindly 
tongue_smile.gif

make me a..." 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back