Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #25,516 of 42,298
Quote:
@Frank: very nice review. T90+WA7 combo is downright dangerous. I spend far too much time enjoying my music library when I should be doing other household tasks. For a change up I'll sub either HD800 or HE-500 for an alternate but equally satisfying experience. The T90 doesn't work for some ears, but for those that it does, the WA7 allow them to sound stellar.

The T90 and the WA7 have a very special synergy. They are made for each other.

May 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #25,517 of 42,298
Whew!  Buring in an amp for 500 hours is a long time, darned black gate caps!  This thing is quite an upgrade from my ASL mg-head OTL III.  Anyhow, looking for tube recommendations.  After combing head-fi, I have come up with a short list.  Man, Head-fi is a great resource.  I could use a little more deep bass and top end extension.  The rectifiers will be either the sophia 247b or the eml 5u4g meshies.  There have been reports of fair quality control on the 596's. For the driver tubes the Psvane cv181 t2's look inviting.  For the 300b's, goodness they are expensive, the sophia mesh or the eml 300b's look good.  I would rather not get the psvane 300b's as they lack the inviting glow of the mesh tubes.  Any comments? 

May 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #25,519 of 42,298
Whew!  Buring in an amp for 500 hours is a long time, darned black gate caps!  This thing is quite an upgrade from my ASL mg-head OTL III.  Anyhow, looking for tube recommendations.  After combing head-fi, I have come up with a short list.  Man, Head-fi is a great resource.  I could use a little more deep bass and top end extension.  The rectifiers will be either the sophia 247b or the eml 5u4g meshies.  There have been reports of fair quality control on the 596's. For the driver tubes the Psvane cv181 t2's look inviting.  For the 300b's, goodness they are expensive, the sophia mesh or the eml 300b's look good.  I would rather not get the psvane 300b's as they lack the inviting glow of the mesh tubes.  Any comments? 

Get both EML 5U4G and 300B mesh, EAT 300B is better but also cost more. Driver tube, the Brimar CV1988 of TS BGRP.

May 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #25,521 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
I just realized that for perhaps the first time in decades I don't own any Sennheisers at all. Just four of their headphone hangers.

Time to re-load!

Oh I've definitely re-loaded, just not with Sennheisers...
wink.gif

Quote:
You should be ashamed! :wink:

Haha maybe a Colorflied HD800, wouldn't mind acquiring a fresh pair at some point but there quite a few things ahead of it on the old wish list...

May 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #25,522 of 42,298
Quote:
Get both EML 5U4G and 300B mesh, EAT 300B is better but also cost more. Driver tube, the Brimar CV1988 of TS BGRP.

Thanks!  Wow, the EAT's are expensive! I have never seen anyone, in all my hours surfing head-fi rate the Genalex golden Lion 300b's in the wa5, any comments?.  They are available on TubeDepot for $330.  My headphones are the Sennie HD 650's, which I think they are a little thin and veiled.  I would like to upgrade the 'phones too, open type.  The HD 800's have the reputation of being "thin", the LCD 2 of being bass master's, but a little dark.  Many peeps state the HE-6 is just "sublime" with the wa5, especially through the K1000 jack. My Ultrasone pro-900's don't seem to jive with the wa5, but go well with less expensive amps (ie headphone out on my macbook), and they hurt the top of my head after a while. Choices, choices. Deep bass please.  
L3000.gif
 .  Hopefully with more experience with my wa5, I will be able to return the advice favors to ya'll.   I haven't listened to my main rig since I got the wa5, my Thiels feel neglected (great for my wife lately, as the master bedroom is right next to my audio room).
Silent one, I look forward to seeing your next avatar.  

May 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #25,523 of 42,298
Just so you know, regular.guy, if you ever see me using an ALL BLACK avatar, I'm temporarily protesting, on strike or seeking solitude. 
biggrin.gif
 My inability to buy a Black WA5 can bring out this avatar as well. 
ph34r.gif

May 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #25,524 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks!  Wow, the EAT's are expensive! I have never seen anyone, in all my hours surfing head-fi rate the Genalex golden Lion 300b's in the wa5, any comments?.  They are available on TubeDepot for $330.  My headphones are the Sennie HD 650's, which I think they are a little thin and veiled.  I would like to upgrade the 'phones too, open type.  The HD 800's have the reputation of being "thin", the LCD 2 of being bass master's, but a little dark.  Many peeps state the HE-6 is just "sublime" with the wa5, especially through the K1000 jack. My Ultrasone pro-900's don't seem to jive with the wa5, but go well with less expensive amps (ie headphone out on my macbook), and they hurt the top of my head after a while. Choices, choices. Deep bass please.  
L3000.gif
 .  Hopefully with more experience with my wa5, I will be able to return the advice favors to ya'll.   I haven't listened to my main rig since I got the wa5, my Thiels feel neglected (great for my wife lately, as the master bedroom is right next to my audio room).
Silent one, I look forward to seeing your next avatar.  

the golden lion, never tried on my wa5 but i heard it from other spearker amps.  not really think or thick.  very average.  sure better than the stock tubes. 
HD650, a little thin.... what are your tubes combination? 
and ultrasone, they hate woo, or wa5 at least.  i tried my hfi-780, signature pro and ed8.  never sound good at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back