Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #24,691 of 42,298
Quote:
Please do
cool.gif

That's a cool little fact about your avatar.
Quote:
Well, if he decides to sell it to me, then I'LL have to see about sending it. 
wink.gif

Thanks. The first time I saw her perform was some moons back when she was a guest and sat in with the Emerill Live Band. Made a few more appearances and I enjoyed the exchanges her and Emerill had. Sometimes, she flips the guitar and plays it upside down but holding it the same way.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #24,692 of 42,298

rolleyes.gif
Still love my first Woo girlfriend.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #24,694 of 42,298
i honestly couldn't tell if that was a WA3 or WA6 till i paid really close attention to the tubes.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #24,695 of 42,298
Quote:
i honestly couldn't tell if that was a WA3 or WA6 till i paid really close attention to the tubes.

It is the 1st generation 3 with the pre-outs. If you looked up the photographs meta-data it would have been there too.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #24,696 of 42,298
Do you remember when Jack offered some of his amps in different colors other than silver and black. Was it red, green, and yellow?

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #24,697 of 42,298
Mar 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #24,698 of 42,298
Quote:

skip the princess if you can get the 596, get the 596 and the 6GL7 or the princess and the 6FD7/6DR7.

both very good combinations. i found the 596 and 6GL7 to be extremely good, my favorite in fact. for me, it took the WA6-SE to the next level, especially good if you have HiFiman or Audeze headphones. I did not enjoy the 6GL7 combined with other tubes though.

Just a quick update...I took your advise and ordered 596 and 6GL7 with adapters.  I figure that I can try the Princess at a later date if I want - but now's the time if I want to try the 596.  It's nice that I got the amp with the stock tubes first, so when the upgrade tubes arrive I'll get...well...an upgrade!  A nice thing with this amp - the teflon tube sockets are the best I've ever dealt with, and will take a lot of the stress out of tube rolling.

I've hooked up the amp within my system now, and am listening for the first time (well...the first time was earlier today).  The sound is sublime - a nice combination of dynamics/punch, and the wonderful liquidity and depth of detail that my preamp (Shindo Monbrison) and DAC (Wavelength Cosecant) are contributing over and above what I heard in the demo Woo setup.  There is no brightness, no boomy bass, just wonderful music reproduced all along the bandwidth.  This is exactly what I was hoping for - to be able to add a top-notch headphone system to my setup without compromising the 2-channel setup I already own, and in fact while taking advantage of it as much as possible.  All I'm doing is transferring the cable from the preamp and power cable between the WA6-SE and my VTL speaker amp.

I have to say - Jack was great to deal with, and a super nice guy to talk with.  He made no effort to upsell me to a WA22, and he kept his word in holding off the wolves who were circling MY WA6-SE wanting to buy it between when I committed and when he asked me to pick it up...suffice it to say, he could have easily sold a half dozen of these had he brought them.  I think that an SET tube amp that can drive LCD's, and sound great doing it, for $1K is really a sweet spot with few competitors.

I'm subscribed to this thread now, happily listening to the new Django Django album that has had a lot of time on the 2-channel setup recently.  It's a very nice and different experience to listen on this setup as an alternative to the "big" system!  It's a nice combination of audiophile sound quality, and where I started with this passion for listening to good music (my old walkman/discman days).

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #24,700 of 42,298
Quote:

awesome!  it'll get even better when the 596 and 6GL7 arrive. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #24,703 of 42,298
Quote:
Do you remember when Jack offered some of his amps in different colors other than silver and black. Was it red, green, and yellow?

The photographs can be found on-line. The colors are black, silver, red, gold, blue. We have posted a photograph of all of them in a row here before. I'm too lazy to find it again. Jack said he would make me a red W5 LE if I wanted one. Upgrade for extrusion color about $350.00 usd. Gold would be super cool!

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #24,705 of 42,298
Quote:
red/gold wa2 would of been sweet!

You maybe could mix em and made an amp look like the Partridge Family School bus lol.
biggrin.gif

Wow, they have exactly all the colors if you just replace the yellow for gold and white for silver.. You know you want one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back