Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 16, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #24,541 of 42,298
It sounds like I should take a road trip from AZ out to California for a road trip, mini meet, and some grub/drinks if you guys are ever up for a meet.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #24,542 of 42,298
Hey Grokit,

Are you still using your Schiit Gungnir as your main DAC? I remember back when we were both considering either the D18 or Gungnir. I ended up getting the D18 and loving it when you went with the Gungnir. Well I just picked up a Gungnir on the for sale forums and am looking forward to checking it out. I always wondered how I would have liked it if I had gone that route. It will be cool to have thorough experience with both directly.

Unfortunately, I no longer have my AP2/PP so I will be picking up a V-Link 192 in the meantime. Hopefully that will work pretty well in the meantime.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #24,543 of 42,298
Quote:
It sounds like I should take a road trip from AZ out to California for a road trip, mini meet, and some grub/drinks if you guys are ever up for a meet.

And save on FedEx 
wink_face.gif
 by dropping off that gorgeous Woo for evaluation!

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #24,544 of 42,298
Mar 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #24,545 of 42,298
Mar 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #24,546 of 42,298
Tried some 6N6P in the preamp spot of the WA3...... heater hum, bummer. I may try elevating the heater to see if it goes away. I was looking forward to listening to these. :frowning2:

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #24,547 of 42,298
Grrrr!  My NEW wa-5 is now broken!  One day, the right rectifier tube, the stock Shuguang 247b, sparked upon startup, but thereafter worked fine, but developed a slight rattle during operation.  I think I may have not waited long enough after shut down before rebooting in the speaker selection, from the headphone selection.  I pulled both tubes. The offending tube has a rattle when I shake it.  I have a pair of compatible 5ar4's, so I popped 'em in.  After the soft start, the right 5ar4 sparked and the amp blew a fuse 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
.  Well, good thing I did not pack up my ASL mg-head OTL yet.  Any of ya'll have this problem?  Sent an Email to Woo, I'll let all of you know what he said.  

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #24,548 of 42,298
Quote:
Grrrr!  My NEW wa-5 is now broken!  One day, the right rectifier tube, the stock Shuguang 247b, sparked upon startup, but thereafter worked fine, but developed a slight rattle during operation.  I think I may have not waited long enough after shut down before rebooting in the speaker selection, from the headphone selection.  I pulled both tubes. The offending tube has a rattle when I shake it.  I have a pair of compatible 5ar4's, so I popped 'em in.  After the soft start, the right 5ar4 sparked and the amp blew a fuse 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
.  Well, good thing I did not pack up my ASL mg-head OTL yet.  Any of ya'll have this problem?  Sent an Email to Woo, I'll let all of you know what he said.  

Well did a little research online.  I read that many diy'ers have had trouble with the JJ 5ar4/gz34, arcing then failing.  I pray that the Shuguang was just ripe to fail with loose parts, from the start, and the JJ's, despite being pulled from working gear (a Primaluna prologue 3 preamp), was nearing the end of it's life and the current pull of the wa-5 was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe I just need a new fuse and a trial of some cheap Sovtek 5ar4's and my new wa-5 baby will be all better, I hope......

Anyone have a pair of Sophia Princess's arc?  They were going to be my rectifier upgrade.  

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #24,549 of 42,298
I'm crossing my fingers it's just a new fuse needed as well. I've had the Princess in as my main rectifier for my WA22 but have never seen it arc. I think I remember others having it happen though. I think dubstepgirl might have had that happen if I remember correctly.

Well did a little research online.  I read that many diy'ers have had trouble with the JJ 5ar4/gz34, arcing then failing.  I pray that the Shuguang was just ripe to fail with loose parts, from the start, and the JJ's, despite being pulled from working gear (a Primaluna prologue 3 preamp), was nearing the end of it's life and the current pull of the wa-5 was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe I just need a new fuse and a trial of some cheap Sovtek 5ar4's and my new wa-5 baby will be all better, I hope......

Anyone have a pair of Sophia Princess's arc?  They were going to be my rectifier upgrade.  

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #24,551 of 42,298
Mar 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #24,552 of 42,298
This highlights the introduction of the UASF-596 by 2359glenn for the Thread starter's WA5LE. Was blowing EML Glass left & right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back