Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #24,514 of 42,298
very nice! i love seeing WA22 pics 
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #24,515 of 42,298
@dubstepgirl... The Sophia/Treasure/Sylvania 7236 with LCD-2's is just awesome! It's dangerous for my bloody hearing because it doesn't distort:) I'll put proper pics up from my DSLR when everything breaks in:wink:

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #24,519 of 42,298
Can anyone comment on the performance of the WA2 with HD650 cans? Is the WA2 free of audible noise/hum at low-normal listening levels? What about loud levels? I have never owned or even heard a tube amp but I'm worried about noise and that it might be too laid back since I like a very dynamic and punchy sound.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #24,520 of 42,298
Quote:
Can anyone comment on the performance of the WA2 with HD650 cans? Is the WA2 free of audible noise/hum at low-normal listening levels? What about loud levels? I have never owned or even heard a tube amp but I'm worried about noise and that it might be too laid back since I like a very dynamic and punchy sound.

i had the HD 650/WA2 combo for a while and it drives them very well. the WA2 is a very quiet amp with no noise regardless of gain.
the HD 650 will get VERY loud with the WA2 as an OTL amp is meant for high impedance loads, the hd 650 is also extremely efficient, it gets very loud very fast, much more than any of the other high impedance headphones. however, you might find the HD650/WA2 to be a little too laid back, its definitely thick and sweet and on the slower side. good tube rolling may improve this.

you probably would enjoy the WA6-SE much more with the HD 650s. there is no noise within the HD 650s and it pairs very nicely with them. powerful transparent sound and really lifts the "veil" off the hd 650s and improves the speed so theres less congestion in fast/complex passages.

Quote:
^ Ur next DSG, for WA22 ownership! 
biggrin.gif

hopefully! ive been considering it for over a year now. good thing i can still use most of my tubes if i get it. would be an end-game amp for me, as long as it is able to drive everything well.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #24,521 of 42,298
Migasson, where'd you get your 181s?  I'm considering a pair for my WA22 and would be interested in finding a reliable source.  

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #24,522 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi wooians,
I had recently purchased a WA-5 with all the capacitor trimmings with the stock tubes (shuguang 300b-98, shuguang 247a, ge 6sn7).  Upon first firing it up, I had great expectations, as it was better than my Antique Sound Lab MG-head Mk III without any break in and, of course, the great professional reviews and on Head-fi, but I can't say I am happy with the sound.
frown.gif

It has about 150 hours on it, not just on, but music running through it, which is the break in time that the manual claims is needed.  The amp seems to lack upper end extension, deep bass, holography and bloom, all of which, from what I have read, the WA-5 should have.  Cranking the volume can get me the bass/slam, but one of the reasons I bought the Woo was for low volume satisfaction.  

Purchasing tube upgrades, immediately after spending over $4,000 already, was not what I had in mind.  Perhaps this is just the single ended 300b "sound" and what I'm hearing is the "end game".  Don't get me wrong, however, I am a "bottlehead" and have other single ended devices.  Please tell me that the Woo will continue to evolve and improve.  
blink.gif

I don't have a 5 but the 5LE. I spent my first year just trying new stuff with the amp. My first day I tried a friends silver cables and thought that it was too bright. I ended up using regular Monster copper for the first year, just due to liking a warm sound.

You should just try lots of different stuff. Different headphones, different sources and different cables until you get to the bass and slam you want.

The amps are totally dependent on the ancillary gear around for the sound signature as well as different tubes. I listen to extreme metal 100% of the time and needed an amp that had rock slam as well as speed and low end punch. It took me a year to figure out how. My gear is listed in my Woo 5LE review as well as my Head-Fi profile.

They are really sensitive to power cords and RCA connectors. In the end I would have been happy with the sound-stage and mids I had. After some other changes at the end of my first ownership year I found the amp had all the perfectly tuned bass I could ever ask for as well as PRaT and speed. It just takes experimenting with all the stuff you can get your hands on till you find the correct sound. It's like everything around it is a form of EQ.

Good Luck. When you get there you will not believe it!!!
eek.gif
It will be a great surprise and everything you ever wanted.

Not until I changed the power cords and RCAs did I ever get the real bass I was always looking for.

Unless you have some audiophile friends who will let you use their stuff, the best option is to take your gear to a Head-Fi meet. At one point folks are cool enough to let you do some swap-outs of sources and cables and demo different headphones. This saves you months of time as well as a ton of fun. Take your main Woo 5 system if you can. Take some music you know well for a base-line of what you are about to hear new.

My rig is actually really really warm at this point. There are other headphone systems that are more accurate and detailed but some were 8X what I have spent. You will end up finding a balance of cost and performance that you can live with.

Fooling around with a highly adjustable and vintage Stanton phono stage pulled out of a radio station. It still didn't get me the presence and slam I was looking for from a cartridge.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #24,524 of 42,298
@galaxyguy.. I got mine from my local retailer addictedtoaudio.. George sourced them from Woo Audio, so I'm sure they've got some left! @atomicbob, yes I know! Gotta watch that dial:wink:

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #24,525 of 42,298
I hav

i have no complaints and very happy w the set up. I did opt to go with the upgraded driver tubes and power tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back