Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #24,466 of 42,298
Speaking of Psvane, anyone have any experience with Psvane 274B?  There are not any reviews for it either.  I believe someone here has one and was going post his impression as compared with Princess 274B and EML 274B.  But, I have not seen it yet.

I have Shuggie 274B (stock), EML 274B, and Brimar 5R4GY.  Strangely enough, I am currently running the Shuggie 274B with International 6DR7.  Thanks to the recommendation on the 6DR7 from here.  There are my favorite power/drive tubes for my WA6SE (have not explored tubes requiring adapters) and they even make the Shuggie 274B sound pretty good to me ears.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #24,467 of 42,298
the 6DR7 is a nice tube.

btw, does anyone know if international branded tubes are made by another company? i had some ez80s by them on my WA2, and i haven't found anything online for them, are they a generic company? 

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #24,469 of 42,298
Quote:
the 6DR7 is a nice tube.

btw, does anyone know if international branded tubes are made by another company? i had some ez80s by them on my WA2, and i haven't found anything online for them, are they a generic company? 

You mean ITT (International Telephone Company) Electron tubes?

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #24,470 of 42,298
Quote:

no, i think the company's called "international servicemasters" or something like that

google "servicemaster tubes" on images and look at them. its a blue box 

my stock EZ80 for my WA2 is one of those.

theres pics and stuff, but i havent heard much about them.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #24,471 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

no, i think the company's called "international servicemasters" or something like that

google "servicemaster tubes" on images and look at them. its a blue box 

my stock EZ80 for my WA2 is one of those.

theres pics and stuff, but i havent heard much about them.

Well, you need to chat them up, then the community would know more. 
normal_smile .gif
 They sound decent?

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #24,472 of 42,298
Well, you need to chat them up, then the community would know more. 
normal_smile%20.gif

They sound decent?

Good point, i never thought much of them since they where stock, kinda like the stock 274b on the WA6-SE, it has been ignored. I just put my tesla ez81 tubes in when i got my wa2 and never heard stock rectifier. Ill give it a listen though

EDIT: sounds warmer/tubier, less impact, smoother. not bad, not good

btw, i did order a pair of RFT EZ80 for my WA2 off ebay a few days ago, they where really cheap like 15 bucks shipped for a pair, so i figured, why not? maybe those will be good, i haven't been able to find much on EZ80 rectifiers for my WA2, its always power/drive tubes.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #24,473 of 42,298
Quote:
Good point, i never thought much of them since they where stock, kinda like the stock 274b on the WA6-SE, it has been ignored. I just put my tesla ez81 tubes in when i got my wa2 and never heard stock rectifier. Ill give it a listen though

EDIT: sounds warmer/tubier, less impact, smoother. not bad, not good

btw, i did order a pair of RFT EZ80 for my WA2 off ebay a few days ago, they where really cheap like 15 bucks shipped for a pair, so i figured, why not? maybe those will be good, i haven't been able to find much on EZ80 rectifiers for my WA2, its always power/drive tubes.

I remember the very first day with my 6 Special edition - immediately installed Miss Sophia, placing the stock rec inside the drawer. It was only a year and a half later that I installed the stocker before selling the amp. It was 
ph34r.gif
 t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. Well, at least in comparison to the Princess.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #24,474 of 42,298
Quote:

I have Shuggie 274B (stock), EML 274B, and Brimar 5R4GY.  Strangely enough, I am currently running the Shuggie 274B with International 6DR7.  Thanks to the recommendation on the 6DR7 from here.  There are my favorite power/drive tubes for my WA6SE (have not explored tubes requiring adapters) and they even make the Shuggie 274B sound pretty good to me ears.

This is what Jack sent with my WA6.  Shuggie is O.K., but I prefer the Princess.  But, I prefer the  international 6DR7's to the RCA's I plopped for.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #24,475 of 42,298
Quote:
I have been wondering how those WE Replica sound but I have not found any detailed review about them.

i got them only because i saw it from a local tube shop and they weren't too expensive.  yea, not too many reviews online.  those reviews i found mostly two types, one like me, don't have a lot of experience with 300b and they usually love it.  and others, comparing the old/original we300b to these psvane we 300b, said not as good as the original we300b.  still to me, when it's only 1/3 of the price and i can get them new.  no brainer to me

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #24,476 of 42,298
Quote:

I remember the very first day with my 6 Special edition - immediately installed Miss Sophia, placing the stock rec inside the drawer. It was only a year and a half later that I installed the stocker before selling the amp. It was 
ph34r.gif

Hmm...I just recently did a tube rolling for a heck of it.  The least sound changing part on my 6SE was the rectifier.  I've tried RCA/Tungsol 5u4g, Sophia 274b, & 596; they all sounded the same to me.  I am surprised that you guys are saying the rectifier makes a significant difference.  I got my 6SE recently (2 months ago), may be Jack did something to the design??  I took out my 596 and rock on a RCA 5u4g now.

On the driver tube side, I was impressed with the 6FD7 (without adapter) and 6EM7 (with adapter) immensely.  The CY/DR/EW/GL/DN were good but not impressive.  DE was the worst of the bunch.    

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #24,477 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

ph34r.gif

Hmm...I just recently did a tube rolling for a heck of it.  The least sound changing part on my 6SE was the rectifier.  I've tried RCA/Tungsol 5u4g, Sophia 274b, & 596; they all sounded the same to me.  I am surprised that you guys are saying the rectifier makes a significant difference.  I got my 6SE recently (2 months ago), may be Jack did something to the design??  I took out my 596 and rock on a RCA 5u4g now.

On the driver tube side, I was impressed with the 6FD7 (without adapter) and 6EM7 (with adapter) immensely.  The CY/DR/EW/GL/DN were good but not impressive.  DE was the worst of the bunch.    

In my experience, the Russian stock 5U4G, Sophia Princess 274B, EML 5U4G and '596' couldn't sound anymore different. But, it also came down to degrees of difference - drive tubes and source. And I ran 6SN7 series glass with A LOT more choices available. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #24,478 of 42,298
Quote:

In my experience, the Russian stock 5U4G, Sophia Princess 274B, EML 5U4G and '596' couldn't sound anymore different. But, it also came down to degrees of difference - drive tubes and source. And I ran 6SN7 series glass with A LOT more choices available. 

how many 6sn7 did u try

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #24,480 of 42,298
Quote:

Many - well known, no-name, rebrand...many. Also 7N7 & 7AF7 tubes. Currently sitting on about 125 tubes. Not a lot to some, but I think I should have bought a tube tester @ 25 tubes. 
rolleyes.gif
 Okay, this summer!

blink.gif
 thats alot of tubes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back