Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #24,197 of 42,298
@atomicbob... You know I love the T90 and will regret selling it! The T90 has a wider soundstage, but for me, sometimes the highs are too high with certain records. The LCD fixed that, plus with " more meat and potatoes" in the mids and bass if you know what I mean! 7236 valves are in too. There still breaking in, so have yet to see how it goes:)

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #24,198 of 42,298
Quote:
Has anyone heard the Psvane 274 B rectifier in the context of a WA22.. And how it compares to the EML 5u4g and Sophia Princess... I'm running Audeze LCD-2's, and Moon Audio Black Dragon cable coming soon:)

Quote:

My new addition ...joined the LCD-2/WA22 family:)

Congrats!

I have the Psvane 274b somewhere, but I do need to re-visit it at some point. From memory it is a very nice, airy-sounding tube with great midrange detail, imaging and euphonics, but a bit lacking in low end impact and overall "body". I don't have the more lush-sounding 2399/5998 power tubes anymore (using 7236 now) but I would think it would combine well with those.

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #24,199 of 42,298
@migasson: Thank-you. As our hearing is similar, your thoughts on the LCD2 are appreciated. I have HE-500 for orthos currently but am considering selling and moving to Audeze. I haven't run into a treble issue yet with the T90, but I have a lot of catalog to get through. Maybe the combination of V800 + W3+ with a particular 6AS7G is the right balance for the T90 for my ears.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #24,200 of 42,298
I just received my new wa-5, with capacitor upgrade, tonight!  Totally stoked!  I can't believe I just spent over $4,000 on a headphone amp.  People that I told about the amp think I'm stupid! Pictures don't do it justice.  The Woo is replacing my Antique Sound Lab MG head OTL mk III. Hooked it up 5 minutes ago with the stock tubes.  Tell ya what, it sounds significantly better than my prior amp with zero break-in.  The wa-5 is pushing a pair of Senn HD six-fiddy's with a Cardas cable upgrade, the Ultrasone Pro 900's later. The ASL sounded dark, slow, closed in, and had occasional crackle noises with both pairs of headphones.  Too bad I don't have an appropriate pair of speakers to use.  My Thiel 2.3's is one of the worst pairings for the 300b, but having the 8 watts opens me up to the HiFi HE-6 and Wee +electrostats.  

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #24,201 of 42,298
Congrats Regular.Guy!  Any nice pics of the new addition?

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #24,202 of 42,298
Wait, he ain't no regular.guy with a WA5! 
biggrin.gif
 Congrats on bringing it home.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #24,203 of 42,298
Quote:
I just received my new wa-5, with capacitor upgrade, tonight!  Totally stoked!  I can't believe I just spent over $4,000 on a headphone amp.  People that I told about the amp think I'm stupid! Pictures don't do it justice.  The Woo is replacing my Antique Sound Lab MG head OTL mk III. Hooked it up 5 minutes ago with the stock tubes.  Tell ya what, it sounds significantly better than my prior amp with zero break-in.  The wa-5 is pushing a pair of Senn HD six-fiddy's with a Cardas cable upgrade, the Ultrasone Pro 900's later. The ASL sounded dark, slow, closed in, and had occasional crackle noises with both pairs of headphones.  Too bad I don't have an appropriate pair of speakers to use.  My Thiel 2.3's is one of the worst pairings for the 300b, but having the 8 watts opens me up to the HiFi HE-6 and Wee +electrostats.  

Awesome!  Congrats!

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #24,205 of 42,298
@atomicbob.. I seriously have a hard time letting the T90's go. The desire to run balanced phones, and I'm a sucker for great mids also swayed me to the LCD's. the best thing I can say so far is that with the LCD's I'm listening to the music, not analysing the equipment! WA22/T90 is a great combo, if you don't have the desire to rewire your Beyers balanced:) @grokit, thanks for the input. I want what the Psvane offers, but bass too. Can't be bothered switching my power tubes again, so I'll give the Psvane a miss and go for the Sophia first, then maybe the EML:)

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #24,207 of 42,298
Feb 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #24,209 of 42,298
Quote:
I got the first portable Woo!!! LOL it makes my iphone5 sound sooo much better!!!
biggrin.gif

Well I use iPod 5th as a portable dap actually

Nicely done! How did you do that?

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #24,210 of 42,298
For the last year I've been driving my HD800's with a HeadRoom "Maxed Out" Desktop amp but last month, at the Denver, NC mini meet, I got to hear them driven by a WA22. I really loved the combination and a couple of days later amcananey had a mint black WA22 for sale which worked out well for everyone except my wallet. It came with a Sofia Princess and I've since rolled in a pair of Sylvania 7236 Power Tubes that I got from Jack. My big rig is all tubes and I tend to favor listening to solo singers backed by small combos so, based on my impressions of earlier posts, I think a pair of Shuguang Treasure's are next.

I have a question about aftermarket cables though. Can anyone give me some guidance on whether to get balanced cables or not? I'm driving the Woo with the balanced outs from my Logitech Transporter but from reading through the forum there appears to be a difference of opinion as to whether the WA22 is balanced all the way through. If there is an improvement in the sound, does it make any difference if I get the 4pin or 3pin termination? Thanks.

(image missing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back