Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #23,791 of 42,298
Quote:
Just a quick question to all Woo Audio and tube amplifier owners

Could running a tube amplifier without a headphone into it possibly damage the amp and/or the tubes.

Thanks

i was wondering this too since i've heard it before. its only until now that i always leave a headphone plugged in when its just turned on.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #23,792 of 42,298
Quote:
Could running a tube amplifier without a headphone into it possibly damage the amp and/or the tubes.

I have heard that it doesn't hurt an OTL amp when left on without a headphone connected.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #23,793 of 42,298
^ Right, that jives with what I know, that transformer-coupled amps need to "have a load" on them. Not sure why though...

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #23,794 of 42,298
I've asked the same question the Jack before and his response was that it's best to keep a headphone plugged in when on but for a typical short amount of time there won't be any harm. So while I wouldn't worry about leaving it unplugged for a minute or two, I'd plug in a headphone as soon as possible. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #23,795 of 42,298
You got a nice start there.  You'll definitely have a hard time sleeping when you get your Woo.  I predict many late night sessions!
Quote:
Ugh... this waiting game is killing especially everytime I check this tread.
Even though it's been only a week since I got my order confirmation mail from Jack, whenever someone says 'I just recieved my Woo.' makes me think "hm.... mine should be next.."
biggrin.gif

I thought I was good at waitng when I used to order bunch of car parts from Japan...guess not
Well It'll get here eventually but meanwhile my poor HD800 has to sing directly from my IPad or AV40's headphone out
beyersmile.png

something's def missing here XD

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #23,798 of 42,298
Quote:

I don't get much glow at all from these 300B's, but the sound is out of this world in my WA5LE.

ss

Wow! Congratulations!

Also a strange dichotomy with the 300bs hovering above the Blu-Rays. The contrast of very old technology and very new technology.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #23,799 of 42,298
Quote:
For various reasons I have eliminated the following:

I have not had any opportunity to listen to any of the above, with the exception of the Woo WDS-1 at the Denver audio fest this October.  My negative feelings are based solely on extensive readings of users in Head-Fi.

Tossed out the Woo WDS-1?  Wow, that's proof that Head-Fi is most definintely a subjective hobby....I cannot get enough of that DAC.  Both musically and aesthetically, it's a marvel, IMO, especially when teamed up with their amps.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #23,800 of 42,298
Quote:
Tossed out the Woo WDS-1?  Wow, that's proof that Head-Fi is most definintely a subjective hobby....I cannot get enough of that DAC.  Both musically and aesthetically, it's a marvel, IMO, especially when teamed up with their amps.

Aesthetically, yes.  Musically, no.  Depends on what other DAC you are comparing to.  It is no match to few I own and owned.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #23,801 of 42,298
Quote:
Aesthetically, yes.  Musically, no.  Depends on what other DAC you are comparing to.  It is no match to few I own and owned.

How yah been? Keeping warm over there in MA? Happy 9th day of the New Year!

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #23,803 of 42,298
I haven't been able to sleep.  I haven't been able to eat.
The writing is on the wall.
I must part ways with my WA2.
I get the shakes just thinking about it.

I've got some spare tubes that I'll have to move as well.

All this being done in the hopes that I can swoop up a 6SE to use with my LCD2's.
The WA2 doesn't get the job done well enough, and is bested by my vintage receivers.

Everybody keeps telling me im going to regret it.
and i think they are right as right can be.
But I'll never be able to jump on a WA6SE when one pops up if I don't liquidate the 2.

So
this is goodbye
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #23,804 of 42,298
.....don't look on eBay right now...
I haven't been able to sleep.  I haven't been able to eat.
The writing is on the wall.
I must part ways with my WA2.
I get the shakes just thinking about it.

I've got some spare tubes that I'll have to move as well.

All this being done in the hopes that I can swoop up a 6SE to use with my LCD2's.
The WA2 doesn't get the job done well enough, and is bested by my vintage receivers.

Everybody keeps telling me im going to regret it.
and i think they are right as right can be.
But I'll never be able to jump on a WA6SE when one pops up if I don't liquidate the 2.

So
this is goodbye
:frowning2:

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #23,805 of 42,298
Ohhh man!
why
Why
WHYYYYYYYY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back