Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 29, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #22,501 of 42,298
Quote:
May i know where do you find the EZ80 to 6x5 adapter????

i am also interested in trying it on my WA2 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

That looks like some really really nicely crafted gear - very pro. Glenn's kit is excellent. 

Have my EZ80 > 6X5 adapter on order, really looking forward to receiving that!

Which amp are you using that's OTL?

wow.... 1500 pages!!! 
L3000.gif

To dannie01
beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #22,502 of 42,298
Quote:
Just joined the WA22 club thus week and I'm already looking for ways to upgrade the amp. Which upgrade, for those who have experience with this, would provide an immediate improvement in sound quality of the WA22? Upgrade of the amp's internal wiring or the capacitors to V-Cap?
Would be very interested to hear your recommendations.

I would spend a few months rolling tubes before looking at internal mods. There are so many tube combinations to try, you may not feel the need to upgrade the internals right away. Also consider using a balanced source.
I am however very much interested to hear what others here will recommend regarding V-Caps.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #22,503 of 42,298
Quote:
I would spend a few months rolling tubes before looking at internal mods. There are so many tube combinations to try, you may not feel the need to upgrade the internals right away. Also consider using a balanced source.
I am however very much interested to hear what others here will recommend regarding V-Caps.

Quote:
Just joined the WA22 club thus week and I'm already looking for ways to upgrade the amp. Which upgrade, for those who have experience with this, would provide an immediate improvement in sound quality of the WA22? Upgrade of the amp's internal wiring or the capacitors to V-Cap?

Hey DarknightDK:

Congrats on your WA22. You will love the amp. Very smooth sounding.

But as nutubes states 1st thing to do is get a balanced source if you don't already have one. I was using the Calyx 24/192 DAC with a mac mini server and it performed beautifully. Don't need balanced headphone cables as it makes no difference on this amp, just the balanced source. FYI there is a Calyx DAC for sale currently with power source (which makes a significant difference) in the for sale forums currently. I would recommend it without reservations.

Rumble

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #22,504 of 42,298
Quote:

I completely agree with your advise. Well, I'm currently using Syl 7236 / Jan RCA 6SN7GT / Sophia Princess 274B tubes with the WA22 and they sound great with the LCD-3. I also have the Tung Sol 7236 and USAF 596 on the way. Looking to get myself a pair of Shuguang Treasures or Psvane 6SN7s next and I think i'm good.

Quote:

Hey DarknightDK:

Congrats on your WA22. You will love the amp. Very smooth sounding.

But as nutubes states 1st thing to do is get a balanced source if you don't already have one. I was using the Calyx 24/192 DAC with a mac mini server and it performed beautifully. Don't need balanced headphone cables as it makes no difference on this amp, just the balanced source. FYI there is a Calyx DAC for sale currently with power source (which makes a significant difference) in the for sale forums currently. I would recommend it without reservations.

Rumble

I do have a balanced source. Currently using the Ref 7.1 with the WA22 and they sound beautiful together. So far I'm loving the WA22 in my set-up and its the best I've heard my LCD-3 yet. Great detail in the music and tonally very natural. I can almost feel the atmosphere in each recording. I never thought tube amps could sound this good - amazing clarity and soundstage, black background and good, deep bass. I'm now a believer. Simply floored with the WA22.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #22,505 of 42,298
The issue I've been having with my 5998s in the WA2 is not as straight forward as I thought. After another tube swap, I started having the loud rapid-fire popping sound issue again... As it turns out, it depends which tube I put in which socket. I also read an article recently explaining that tube issues are not always due to the tubes but sometimes rather the amp, where some tubes may be tolerant of the shortcoming or fault while others are more sensitive (on a per-tube basis)

That seems to be my case, since the issue does NOT move from one side to the other, but one way is perfectly quiet and the other way round has the issue. And the "correct" way round, I can even use the tube that I initially thought was faulty. But it also only happens with the 5998s, not with any of my 6AS7s or 7236s in either L/R position...

Before I contact Woo Audio about this (who have been unusually unresponsive in the past few weeks) I was wondering if anybody else had some experience with this, or some advice or comment. Cheers!

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #22,506 of 42,298
Separately: I was not too impressed with the 5998's sound even when working correctly, with a couple of different driver tubes (Mullard, Tesla): not quite muffled, and too flabby in the bass (?!) with the LCD-3s. Right now I'm using a pair of very well matched Sylvania 7236s that I initially wasn't impressed by either, but that have now grown on me. Since my WA22 has been slow in the making (over a month now, passing the time frame I was given) I still have some time for more tube-rolling on my WA2...

So: what would be the brightest/tightest combination of tubes that you guys would recommend for the WA2?

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #22,508 of 42,298
Quote:
May i know where do you find the EZ80 to 6x5 adapter????

i am also interested in trying it on my WA2 
biggrin.gif

Sure, I ordered mine from 2359Glenn here on the head-fi forums. Though I have a sneaky suspicion for a WA2 you'll need 6x5 > EZ80, its the other way around from the Mapletree for which I'm ordering for.

Glenn will set you straight on what you need!

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #22,509 of 42,298
Quote:

If you do decide to upgrade your caps I suggest you have a look at the JonL post http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54218.0

I enjoy the Mundorf SIO caps myself, very natural and smooth.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #22,510 of 42,298
Quote:
Hard to beat the joy of home ownership. Plus you have a place to keep your stuff (I sense a Man Cave!!..
biggrin.gif
 )

Negotiations were tough but I managed to get the largest room of the house for me. And I get to put my best gear in the living room too.
Excellent deal, now I just need to figure what the catch is, I'm sure my gf has it covered somehow...

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #22,511 of 42,298
This may be a preemptive move to soften you up for a subtle, yet notable, closet expansion. I would recommend weekly inventory of at least shoes and handbags for the first couple of months :wink:.

Negotiations were tough but I managed to get the largest room of the house for me. And I get to put my best gear in the living room too.
Excellent deal, now I just need to figure what the catch is, I'm sure my gf has it covered somehow...

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #22,512 of 42,298
Quote:
This may be a preemptive move to soften you up for a subtle, yet notable, closet expansion. I would recommend weekly inventory of at least shoes and handbags for the first couple of months
wink.gif
Quote:

Let's see, how does this work again? A person takes a mortgage...within a mortgage.......and ends up paying how much over the course of...
rolleyes.gif
 never mind. 
biggrin.gif

Just ribbing you some, Ultrainferno.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #22,513 of 42,298
Quote:
This may be a preemptive move to soften you up for a subtle, yet notable, closet expansion. I would recommend weekly inventory of at least shoes and handbags for the first couple of months
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip :wink:

Quote:

Let's see, how does this work again? A person takes a mortgage...within a mortgage.......and ends up paying how much over the course of...
rolleyes.gif
 never mind. 
biggrin.gif

I was actually more thinking of selling a kidney :p

Clayton('s WA2) will be arriving soon and I still haven't gotten any tubes for it, I'm getting stressed. I was thinking of using:

* 2399 Power tubes
* Telefunken EZ80 rectifiers
* Sylvania 7308 Driver tubes or SIEMENS 7308/E188CC (The Siemens, Sylvania & Philips E88CC are 20$/piece more expensive. Worth it?)

Any other (Driver) suggestions before I put in my order? (Can't get the CV versions)

thanks!

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #22,514 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip :wink:

Quote:

rolleyes.gif
 never mind. 
biggrin.gif

I was actually more thinking of selling a kidney :p

Clayton('s WA2) will be arriving soon and I still haven't gotten any tubes for it, I'm getting stressed. I was thinking of using:

* 2399 Power tubes
* Telefunken EZ80 rectifiers
* Sylvania 7308 Driver tubes or SIEMENS 7308/E188CC (The Siemens, Sylvania & Philips E88CC are 20$/piece more expensive. Worth it?)

Any other (Driver) suggestions before I put in my order? (Can't get the CV versions)

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back