Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #22,081 of 42,298
Quote:
So I rolled in some Sylvania 6SN7 chromedome driver tubes along with the 7236/596, and the LCD-2 is sounding mighty fine!
beerchug.gif

This was not the case so much last night with them along with the 596/6AS7G.

Tonight, Haagen-Dazs it is, in recognition of your accomplishment! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #22,082 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
I remember a few Woozies running the RK60 inside their Woo's just over a year ago. But, I'd like to know how they compare to the '596.' If Clayton SF so desired, he could answer this question for us. Well, if my memory serves this afternoon...

I actually ordered a pair and then changed my mind. If all the specs are the same, a 596 adapter with different leads or adapters for the different antenna contacts should work
confused_face%281%29.gif

This is when a backup amp comes in handy. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #22,083 of 42,298
Quote:
I need some feedback, please:

I've actually done some research to see if it is possible for me to take on board a flight (as a carry on) my WA2. I am traveling from SF to Amsterdam anyway so I thought that I could also drop off the amp at Ultrainferno's doorstep or at least at his hotel room's front door. He's been itching to listen to one so I thought to myself "why not lend him mine for a year." I mean, what are fellow Head-Fi'er for anyway but to exchange experiences and occasionally lend amps to each other? Besides, he got me a few 596s and I can only return the favor in this manner. (Also he might treat me to a beer or two in good old Amsterdam.)

Ultrainferno has also helped by calling a KLM rep and chatting her up for more than a few minutes to get some answers regarding this issue. I'm sure he was also trying to get me a discounted ticket. :wink:

By all accounts the WA2's box is in compliance (by its dimensions and weight) so I can bring with me on the plane and place it under the seat in front of me in the economy section.

What I would like to know is: has anyone had any experience taking a headphone amp like the WA2 on board a commercial airliner? I've looked at KLM's website and I think the WA2 could be classified as a Musical Instrument! :wink:

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/exceptional_baggage/index.htm#p11

Feedback is appreciated! Thanks....

Clayton

The box is in compliance but in Post 911 skies, if I were you I'd get clarity on content. I would make two quick inquiries - FAA & Jack Wu. Hope this helps!

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #22,084 of 42,298
Quote:
So I've noticed a couple of things re the Mighty 596.

First of all, for the LCD-2 it remains the top of the heap over my other current favorite rectifier tubes (Princess 274B, PSVANE WE274B knockoff).

But with a caveat: It seems to thrive with the additional power of the Sylvania 7236 power tubes. I have tried a variety of 6080 and 6AS7G tubes with it, and even with the HD800 I have noticed better performance with the 2-watt tubes. The planars themselves benefit from the additional power as well so the difference is greater with the LCDs. I can definitely live with the 7236/596 combo with the 800, but the LCD really craves the 596.

Has anybody else noticed this? I would imaging that the differences would be similar with other 5998/7235/2399 etc, tubes.

This difference in performance leaves me with an entirely first-world dilemma. When I use my WA22 as a preamp, it works much better with the lower-powered 6AS7G/274B tubes, but when I roll in the 2-watt power tubes it's better for me to attenuate digitally. But especially with the LCDs, the 7236/596 rules, while the 800's work great with the lower-powered tube combo as well. So it leaves me with perhaps a wider variety of possibilities that I bargained for, I haven't quite decided yet.

I'm leaning toward simplifying my complicated system by dumping my 274Bs and 6080/6AS7Gs and getting more 596/7236 backups, and finding a DAC that offers attenuation along with a 32-bit sampling rate (finally a real excuse to upgrade my DAC!) So if I want to keep my software setup and habits the same, the Woo DAC is back in contention as the Gungnir doesn't offer digital attenuation.

edit: I just noticed that the WDS-1 only offers 24-bit sample rate. Maybe a couple of XLR attenuators instead...

While I am getting a handle on what power tubes and rectifiers I will ultimately prefer, I am about to muddy up the waters entirely as I have been neglecting the rolling of driver tubes, and I have accumulated a wide variety of those while pretty much sticking to the Shuggies in practice. I swore I wouldn't get like this, but I seem to be under the spell of the OLB's (along with a few new ones). My wallet hates me.
rolleyes.gif

The W4S DAC-2:

Great sound
Upgradeable
3 year warranty
Excellent customer service

What's not to love? 

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #22,086 of 42,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's not to love? 

I like everything about it, except the form factor. The Gungnir is excellent that way and it's price is right, but no attenuation and no AES/EBU input. The NAD M51 is perfect for my needs (35-bit, 844 kHz!) but even more $ than the WDS.

So the search continues, luckily I really enjoy my existing pedestrian setup. I'll probably just keep buying Old Light Bulbs while I think on it a while longer.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #22,087 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's not to love? 

I like everything about it, except the form factor. The Gungnir is excellent that way and it's price is right, but no attenuation and no AES/EBU input. The NAD M51 is perfect for my needs (35-bit, 844 kHz!) but even more $ than the WDS.

So the search continues, luckily I really enjoy my existing pedestrian setup. I'll probably just keep buying Old Light Bulbs while I think on it a while longer.

Silently, not exactly loving the aesthetics of my shoe-box, but... 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #22,090 of 42,298
Hi,All as i have been reading through is forum now for two weeks and caught the bug, and have just purchased a WA6-SE should be here early next week. It will be interesting to do a comparison to a 339 la-figaro and a stax SRM-1/MK2 Professional, i need more space.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #22,091 of 42,298
Hi. My next amp may well be the Lafigaro 339 (thanks to Ultrainferno and keph).

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #22,093 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi. My next amp may well be the Lafigaro 339 (thanks to Ultrainferno and keph).

beerchug.gif

Btw Clayton, i did bring my WA6SE from Hong Kong to Beijing without any problem. IMO its better not to bring the WA2 over board the plane since it will pass through a lot of security inspections.. When i check-in at the counter i put the WA6SE box so that it could be inside the planes cargo/baggage storage, With this you don't have to bring a 12KG box and through multiple security inspections. The Woo Box is really though, mine was the double box one.. Oh don't forget to ask the Check-in counter for a Fragile sticker to stick on the WA2 box..

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #22,095 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi,All as i have been reading through is forum now for two weeks and caught the bug, and have just purchased a WA6-SE should be here early next week. It will be interesting to do a comparison to a 339 la-figaro and a stax SRM-1/MK2 Professional, i need more space.

Well let us all know what you think about the comparison between the WA6SE and the 339...i've already got something/thoughts on my mine considering this two amps..who knows my thoughts and your are the same...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back