Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #21,931 of 42,298
When I tried the  LCD-2 last year at the RMAF I feel that they were a bit too dense and not enough clarity for the music I listen to. This year I will listen to the HE-500 more in depth but I feel that the HE-500 is more toward what I wanted to hear.

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #21,932 of 42,298
Which amp did you hear them with?

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #21,933 of 42,298
It was a amp on the BA table. I head latter that the BA table may  some issues with their sources connections. There were many people wanted to try the LCD-2 and the version 2 which many people were interested. I just never heard the clarity and transparency that people were clamoring about. It was the Byers T70 that impress me the most at the show.
I also heard the Dynamic HE-400 a dynamic type and was not impress with it. The biggest surprise was the Stax since I had three pairs of Stax in the past and still have the SR-5 gold in good working condition. While the Stax is my "gold standard" in headphones the SQ differences are much smaller than it used to be with better quality headphones on the market.

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #21,934 of 42,298
[size=medium]Hi,[/size]

[size=medium]I'm looking for some recommendations for tube rolling my WA6E.  I listen primarily to rock, metal, punk, and some classical and I'm just curious on some rectifier tubes that will help compliment my preferred genre of music.  I'm currently using the Sofia Princess as my rectifier tube and I do like it, but I'm just curious what else is out there and possibly gain from some other users.[/size]

[size=medium]A little more information about my setup.  I use a VPI turntable as my source with a dynavector 17D3 cartridge, and an Aesthetix Rhea phono stage which has a total of 10 telefunken tubes (5 for each channel) which connects directly into my WA6SE.  My headphones are a pair of Grado PS 1000s.  The sound is really great and I can listen to either my headphone or speaker setup for hours on end, but I'm just posting out of curiosity for a new rectifier tube.[/size]

[size=medium]I was considering the EML 274b, but I've read reviews that it's not the best for rock genre.......   Any advice from personal experience is greatly appreciated.[/size]

[size=medium]Regards.[/size]

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #21,935 of 42,298
Quote:
[size=medium]Hi,[/size]

[size=medium]I'm looking for some recommendations for tube rolling my WA6E.  I listen primarily to rock, metal, punk, and some classical and I'm just curious on some rectifier tubes that will help compliment my preferred genre of music.  I'm currently using the Sofia Princess as my rectifier tube and I do like it, but I'm just curious what else is out there and possibly gain from some other users.[/size]

[size=medium]A little more information about my setup.  I use a VPI turntable as my source with a dynavector 17D3 cartridge, and an Aesthetix Rhea phono stage which has a total of 10 telefunken tubes (5 for each channel) which connects directly into my WA6SE.  My headphones are a pair of Grado PS 1000s.  The sound is really great and I can listen to either my headphone or speaker setup for hours on end, but I'm just posting out of curiosity for a new rectifier tube.[/size]

[size=medium]I was considering the EML 274b, but I've read reviews that it's not the best for rock genre.......   Any advice from personal experience is greatly appreciated.[/size]

[size=medium]Regards.[/size]

I would skip the EML, for rock the Sophia is one of the best.. Another tube thats been popular on this thread is the USAF596. It's a good balance between the Sophia's bass and the EML midrange and soundstage. But the Sophia is really a fantastic rectifier to the WA6SE, any changes will be subtle (IMO) your driver tubes on the other hand can make quite the difference. If you're looking for more bass try the 6FD7s, they pack a punch.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #21,939 of 42,298
Quote:
For rock, try Mullard GZ34 metal base, better bass and dynamic but you will loose the wider soundstage

Do you know a trusted online shop that sells both the Mullard GZ34 and the 6FD7 tubes?  The only shop that I've used is audiotubes.com for my preamp's telefunken smooth plates, but it appears that they don't carry the GZ34 or 6FD7s.

Thanks

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #21,941 of 42,298
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-6EW7-Tube-International-Japan-Fat-Bottle-NOS-NIB-Woo-Audio-6-/200733311674?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ebca342ba

You might consider these as well.  The 6EW7 will help keep your soundstage from shrinking, and the Japanese tubes have really good bass drive.  The 6EW7 itself is often considered a bass light tube (though I never thought so, it just presents differently), but the Japanese made ones have an ample bottom end IMO.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #21,942 of 42,298
Quote:

some full music 300b, sylvania 5u4gb and 6sn7gta

my intention of getting them only for just in case and well last night, i broke the stock 5u4g....so i swapped the sylvania and wow.  the dynanic, the vocal.  not sure how much longer i can wait to switch the rest of the tubes

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #21,943 of 42,298
Glass - it's a good idea 
wink_face.gif
 to have back up glass.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #21,944 of 42,298
Man, I can't wait to get my WA2!!! Threads like this make me want it more and more. Unfortunately Jack has had a delay and I haven't been able to get mine yet, ordered it on 4/27!!!!! Anyways, can't wait to post pics of it along with my headphone collection.

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #21,945 of 42,298
Quote:

my intention of getting them only for just in case and well last night, i broke the stock 5u4g....so i swapped the sylvania and wow.  the dynanic, the vocal.  not sure how much longer i can wait to switch the rest of the tubes

No regret and forget about the broken stock rectifiers since you have something better which can really make the WA5 sings, although it seems a bit earlier as planned.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back