Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #20,881 of 42,298
Quote:
Waiting to hear your impression of that killer combo.  How about  a combo of WE 300B, B65 and Takatsuki rectifier?.

Ill need to sell my car and take a second mortgage out to get a pair of the Taka rec's they're crazy money, but I have a hunch they'll be on the short list one day...

B65 - Not heard much about this one, but a quick search shows that it must be desirable given the money they're changing hands for down at the bay of fleas. Anyone have any experience with this tube in Woo gear ?

May 8, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #20,882 of 42,298
Does it sound like the Sophia as well?

Haven't tried Sophia so i can't tell...but i love the sound of the Full Music 274B though like it better than my Tung-Sol 5U4G...

They should sound exactly the same, if it is true that it's the same tube as has been speculated.

May 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #20,883 of 42,298
Quote:
They should sound exactly the same, if it is true that it's the same tube as has been speculated.

That has been on my mind too...
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #20,884 of 42,298
Quote:

Ill need to sell my car and take a second mortgage out to get a pair of the Taka rec's they're crazy money, but I have a hunch they'll be on the short list one day...

B65 - Not heard much about this one, but a quick search shows that it must be desirable given the money they're changing hands for down at the bay of fleas. Anyone have any experience with this tube in Woo gear ?

ebay can be a source of some wonderful tubes, if one has enough patience and knows what to look for.

May 8, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #20,887 of 42,298
listening to The Smashing Pumpkin's "Siamese Dream" album with my RS1i and WA2/WA6-SE combo and I can honestly say this is AWESOME. i haven't had such an immersive listening experience in such a long time. everythings perfect. the rs1i are rocking hard, billy corgan's sounds awesome and the guitars are so clean, drums punchy, and tight clean bass. also something i've noticed tonight that the RS1i rarely shows, and thats SOUNDSTAGE and DEPTH! i've noticed this alot from the WA2/WA6-SE combo, together, they really open up the soundstage quite nicely and add depth and life thats missing in alot of music today.

reminds me that its a good idea i haven't sold my rs1 (at least until i get ps1000, and i might still keep rs1 after that...)

also, got rid of the optical on my musical fidelity v-link and put the coax back in 
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #20,888 of 42,298
Love that album!
To me its one of the best rock albums of the last quarter century lol

are you listening to the original or the new remaster that came out in november? 

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #20,889 of 42,298
Quote:
Hmm, I've actually never tried plugging my K1000 into my WA22 as I didn't feel that it had enough oomph to run my HE-6 properly. How do you like them out of yours? I'll have to try that combo when my amp comes back.

I have the volume knob turned to 2 o'clock when using the K1000, whereas with the RS-1 9 o'clock is sufficient. I'm using the 7236 power tubes which boost the output to 2w. without those tubes the K1000 wouldn't get of the ground.

May 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #20,890 of 42,298
Quote:
350x233px-LL-4f0fdf5a_IMG_1054.jpeg

Granted, the Woo makes for a beautiful ensemble, with the Yammy being a nice compliment. But I'm diggin' the storage rack... in Alpha order! 
biggrin.gif

Here's a better picture of the shelves. I built this about 4 months ago. It has a capacity of 1290 CDs. Note the bottom 3 shelves tilt up and the top tilts down, if makes for easier reading.

May 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #20,892 of 42,298
Quote:

I tried the clear glass variant for a short while in my WA22, together with the 596 and GEC 6AS7. I found it to have a very nice midrange with treble that is on the bright side, yet not fatiguing. Surprisingly, I found bass performance to be very good despite people complaining it's bass shy. Bass is deep and punchy with plenty of detail. However I find it falters a bid soundstaging wise, it doesn't sound as open and spacious as other 6SN7 types.

Quote:
More Glow...!!!

Hope you all like it...

Thanks for the pics, they look awesome! I just hope the 274B doesn't turn blackish with time like my EML 5U4G.

May 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #20,894 of 42,298
Quote:
I'm only speculating here, so take it with a grain of salt. I think you're ok because:
1) the fuse didn't blow
2) the tubes didn't blow
3) it still sounds fine
4) no smoke or barbecued hair
I would maybe open it up to see if the grounds are properly connected. While it is dry, which can certainly cause a build up of static electricity, it seems like a remote possibility a ground is not properly seated. This may have caused the tube (or whatever needed to discharge) to ground to the volume knob and not to the dedicated ground. Lucky it didn't ground to you!

Thanks. I think I'm going to see if it happens again before I open it up. We have had wind-storms and blowing sand recently. Lots of static potential.

May 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #20,895 of 42,298
ebay can be a source of some wonderful tubes, if one has enough patience and knows what to look for.

Definitely, but doesn't seem like there's too many Takatsuki tubes floating around the secondary market yet. Checked eBay and audiogon for half a year before I finally caved and bought retail. Guess the TA-274B will have to wait for next year's bonus or tax return.. >.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back