Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #20,821 of 42,298
My WA5 is finally in the province, after a boomerang like tragectory through the states, it has now looped over from Vancouver, over me, and into the eastern half of the province. And we wonder while shipping charges are so much, the things we buy get to go on firggin vacations before arriving at their destinations 
mad.gif

Anyways, looks like it will be here Monday. Monday night is going to be an allnighter. Severe productivity hit projected for Tuesday at work
smile_phones.gif

May 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #20,822 of 42,298
My WA5 is finally in the province, after a boomerang like tragectory through the states, it has now looped over from Vancouver, over me, and into the eastern half of the province. And we wonder while shipping charges are so much, the things we buy get to go on firggin vacations before arriving at their destinations :mad: .

Anyways, looks like it will be here Monday. Monday night is going to be an allnighter. Severe productivity hit projected for Tuesday at work:smile_phones: .

I took two days off when I first received my WA22...my manager is not too happy about it when he found out why I took those days off.

May 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #20,823 of 42,298
As luck would have it, my Woo arrived mid-afternoon Friday. I had gotten all chores and responsibilities handled by lunch-time, Friday. When evening fell, I ordered a Large Shrimp Pizza and was free to play the entire weekend! 
wink.gif

May 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #20,824 of 42,298
Quote:
My WA5 is finally in the province, after a boomerang like tragectory through the states, it has now looped over from Vancouver, over me, and into the eastern half of the province. And we wonder while shipping charges are so much, the things we buy get to go on firggin vacations before arriving at their destinations 
mad.gif

Anyways, looks like it will be here Monday. Monday night is going to be an allnighter. Severe productivity hit projected for Tuesday at work
smile_phones.gif

You'd make a great analyst. 
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #20,826 of 42,298
Day 6 being Woo-less. Kind of weird actually, but luckily my LF is helping.

That said, I wouldn't rule out picking up another Woo amp down the road.

May 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #20,830 of 42,298
While I wait for Jack to respond to my hum problem, I removed the rectifier and reinstalled it. With 6-8 hours of play time since, the metallic rattle coming out of it hasn't returned!!?? it's dead quiet. Will just be a question now of evaluating with Jack what a "normal level" of transformer hum is. 

May 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #20,831 of 42,298
Quote:
Fullmusic and Shuguang OEM for a number of smaller boutique brands actually.  The brand can request specific material usage, design variations, or assert that only more experienced workers be on their line to improve consistency but in the end it will still have the same look as the tube its based on because of the tooling and raw components availability.

The one I've always been curious about is KR Audio.  They are Czech just like EML and there are signs of a connection there but the KR Glass looks very different.  I then noticed that the glass envelope for their 2A3 is just like the ones used in the Shuguang 2A3B and the new Psvane 2A3, but there are clear indications that KR has an actual production facility in the Czech Republic so this wouldn't make sense either.

Modern tube manufacturing seems to have adapted to the global economy to some degree.

Is it possible that KR has some agreements to OEM some of their lines? Say, clones of 'popular' types, while keeping some product lines (some of which are unique to KR and not equivalents to anything at all) strictly in house? They can profit from the market for such types, without giving over factory floor space to do it. KR specific tubes seem like a niche within a niche, only usable on KR amps...or maybe custom jobs built to be compatible. They seem to be have mind blowing prices too (though the warranty is in years, not days or months)
I remember seeing this on TV, it covers Valve manufacture from a KR point of view.

May 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #20,832 of 42,298
Quote:
mad.gif

smile_phones.gif

Can you let us know the process in the future?  I live in Vancouver and am looking to change my Pheonix for a WA22 sooner or later.

Cheers

May 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #20,833 of 42,298
Quote:

Can you let us know the process in the future?  I live in Vancouver and am looking to change my Pheonix for a WA22 sooner or later.

Cheers

Just saying, I live in Montreal and had my WA6SE amp shipped to a logistics warehouse in Champlain NY, a 30 drive away. If you have such an option accross the border where you live, there are no CDN duties to pay on electronics gear when crossing back, only the applicable taxes. Shipping is much cheaper also (no brokerage fees, etc...)

May 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #20,834 of 42,298
Quote:

Cheers

I bought mine used, but what process? They ship it, you pay 12% of the value when it arrives if using Canada Post/USPS. FedEx and UPS can be far worse if using ground shipping, air is the same 12% (in Ontario, whatever your HST, or PST+GST in BC is, is what you'll pay).

May 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #20,835 of 42,298
Quote:

Just saying, I live in Montreal and had my WA6SE amp shipped to a logistics warehouse in Champlain NY, a 30 drive away. If you have such an option ac cross the border where you live, there are no CDN duties to pay on electronics gear when crossing back, only the applicable taxes. Shipping is much cheaper also (no brokerage fees, etc...)

I've bought almost all my gear from the States. With USPS / CanadaPost I have never paid more than the applicable sales tax, + a negligible ($5) admin fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back