Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #20,146 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm looking for some advice on rectifiers for my WA6 (maxxed) too.  Is it worth it to spend money on more NOS rectifiers to try, or should I just get an EML 5U4G instead?  I have a Tung Sol 5U4G that I like better than my Sopia right now, and I'm curious about GZ37s, 34s, 5R4GY's etc.  But I would actually spend more money on nice specimines of these than just grabbing the expensive EML. 

So what do you guys with lots of tube rolling experince say?  Is the EML the best way to go?

I listen to Grado RS1i's right now, mainly rock, classic to metal.

Based on the genre you listen to, go with metal based Mullard GZ34.  It is narrower soundstage compare to EML but the dynamic and the bass extension is much greater.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #20,147 of 42,298

Quote:
Based on the genre you listen to, go with metal based Mullard GZ34.  It is narrower soundstage compare to EML but the dynamic and the bass extension is much greater.

Ha!  I would love one, but this being Head-fi, you have of course recomended one of the few NOS rectifiers more expensive than EML, and far harder to find a reliable one. 
tongue_smile.gif

I have read lots of great things about this tube, but I'm afraid its out of my price range.  I had considered the plastic based ones, still plenty expensive.  If anybody knows where to get a metal based GZ34 garunteed NOS for 300 or less, let me know.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #20,148 of 42,298

Quote:
Ha!  I would love one, but this being Head-fi, you have of course recomended one of the few NOS rectifiers more expensive than EML, and far harder to find a reliable one. 
tongue_smile.gif

I have read lots of great things about this tube, but I'm afraid its out of my price range.  I had considered the plastic based ones, still plenty expensive.  If anybody knows where to get a metal based GZ34 garunteed NOS for 300 or less, let me know.

You did not said you have a budget cap.  Try hunt for a Mullard GZ37, it is at least 90+% of metal based GZ34.  If you can find a 596, get that and get an adapter from Glenn.  

I may part with my 300 hours metal base GZ34 since I primary use 596 lately.  The GZ34 make a bigger difference on WA6 than WA22.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #20,149 of 42,298

Quote:

You did not said you have a budget cap.  Try hunt for a Mullard GZ37, it is at least 90+% of metal based GZ34.  If you can find a 596, get that and get an adapter from Glenn.  

I may part with my 300 hours metal base GZ34 since I primary use 596 lately.  The GZ34 make a bigger difference on WA6 than WA22.

Yeah, I guess I do have a budget when it gets into that range.  I was mainly considering a small handfull of nice NOS tubes vs. the EML. 

I have been watching Mullard GZ37s on Ebay for a while (along with Brimar 5Z4G, 5R4GY) and if I'm patient, I'll get some very nice tubes for $40-100 each.  In your opinion, the GZ37 is superior to a plastic base GZ34?

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #20,153 of 42,298

Quote:
Sorry for the barrage of questions, but you seem to have rolled a lot of tubes.  Have you ever heard the Tung Sol 5U4G?  And if so, how does it compare to the Mullard GZ37?

I have not tried the TS 5U4G yet but do have a Sylvania, the Sylvania has wider soundstage but lack of the details and dynamic of the Mullard GZ34/37.  For WA6, the Mullard is THE rectifier to have compare to the EML and Sofia.  I did not get a chance to tried the 596, sold my WA6 maxxed long before I know 596 is compatible.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #20,154 of 42,298

Quote:
Ok so there are limited driver tube upgrades for the WA6SE, I really want to get some of these 6SN7/ish driver tubes, I'm wondering how much it will hurt the tube to run them on the SE; Jack mentioned that it can damage the tube, if I'm spending big $ on them I'd be concerned.. For those who have run the 6SN7s on the SE (Silent One - hope you can chime in here); do you notice the amp running warmer or weird sounds coming from the tubes? I don't know the mechanics of the amps that well but does anyone know why or how the amp would damage the driver tubes? And I guess if its something that can be ignored (i.e. it will just slightly decrease the life of the tubes).

On another note, I finally decided on a turntable. Going with the recently released Pro-Ject Debut Carbon in red :)) got a new bookshelf and cambridge audio phono preamp hopefully ill have pictures of everything up soon.

Greetings Ahzari! Nice looking TT... can't wait to see some of your vinyl selections. Regarding 6SN7 tubes and the 6 Special Edition, Jack has traditionally opposed running this series with the amp. His view remains unchanged. He's addressed this a few times but has not made his view clear - rhyme & reason. 

I only waited three months before getting on the 6SN7 Express! With stock 6EW7's, the Woo ran hot, be it July or January! I recently joked here just over a week ago, that with 6SN7's, my Woo ran so cool I had to check incoming voltage! Barely warm... and I loved it! 
wink.gif

As to tube longevity and noise, no noises emanating from the tubes ever and haven't experienced any premature tube deaths. I'd like to see others weigh-in who had/have the 6 Special Edition and 6SN7 tubes. Maybe someone is on the other side of my experience. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely!

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #20,155 of 42,298

Quote:

Greetings Ahzari! Nice looking TT... can't wait to see some of your vinyl selections. Regarding 6SN7 tubes and the 6 Special Edition, Jack has traditionally opposed running this series with the amp. His view remains unchanged. He's addressed this a few times but has not made his view clear - rhyme & reason. 

I only waited three months before getting on the 6SN7 Express! With stock 6EW7's, the Woo ran hot, be it July or January! I recently joked here just over a week ago, that with 6SN7's, my Woo ran so cool I had to check incoming voltage! Barely warm... and I loved it! 
wink.gif

As to tube longevity and noise, no noises emanating from the tubes ever and haven't experienced any premature tube deaths. I'd like to see others weigh-in who had/have the 6 Special Edition and 6SN7 tubes. Maybe someone is on the other side of my experience. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely!

Thanks for the response Silent One, yea I think I'm ready for the 6SN7 wagon too (its been about 3 months as well!). I currently have 6EW7s, 6FD7s, and 6DE7s; the DE7/EW7 sound very similar (from the tubes I've tried) the FD7 has much better bass extension but its a higher gain tube so there is quite a bit of noise coming in from my low imp phones.

It would informative to see if anyone has had a different experience than you.. if not, I'll be getting those adaptors 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #20,156 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm looking for some advice on rectifiers for my WA6 (maxxed) too.  Is it worth it to spend money on more NOS rectifiers to try, or should I just get an EML 5U4G instead?  I have a Tung Sol 5U4G that I like better than my Sopia right now, and I'm curious about GZ37s, 34s, 5R4GY's etc.  But I would actually spend more money on nice specimines of these than just grabbing the expensive EML. 

So what do you guys with lots of tube rolling experince say?  Is the EML the best way to go?

I listen to Grado RS1i's right now, mainly rock, classic to metal.

The Brimar made 5R4GY is an excellent place to start rectifier rolling.  They do all things well, a good alternative to a Sophia or EML IMO.  Beyond that it depends upon your preferences as they all have different strengths and you'll get different results with different output tubes too.  I really like my Mullard GZ33 for example but it is a very different sounding tube from my EML 274B.  They both have their place.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #20,157 of 42,298
In case someone needs a Woo Audio Headphone Stand (or two)...

I just listed some: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604435/woo-audio-universal-adjustible-height-aluminum-headphone-stand-s-two-for-sale

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #20,158 of 42,298

Quote:
Many will say the EML is better than the Sophia, but I liked the Sophia better for the type of music I listen to (electronic/pop/lounge). The the EML had a better soundstage (slightly) but I felt it lacked some bass - and I like my bass, the Sophia does bass really well. Thats the only place I can comment, don't have much experience with NOS rectifiers. 

Actually I enjoy both FWIW. I think I slightly prefer the Sophia (slightly better imaging and dynamics), but it could also be my audio memory playing tricks on me as waiting for tubes to cool down before swapping takes some time.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #20,159 of 42,298
Tonight I'm digging in for a long listening session with my 2 per amping my pioneer sx 950 playing my ads speakers. Got half a bottle of Dalwhinnie, some smoke and endless great music. 3 songs in and im enjoying it thoroughly. Just hope the neighbors are enjoying it as well
:)

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #20,160 of 42,298

Quote:
Tonight I'm digging in for a long listening session with my 2 per amping my pioneer sx 950 playing my ads speakers. Got half a bottle of Dalwhinnie, some smoke and endless great music. 3 songs in and im enjoying it thoroughly. Just hope the neighbors are enjoying it as well
smily_headphones1.gif

You gonna send a set list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back