Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #16,322 of 42,298

Quote:
But really, has anyone given thought to the design playing a role in cooling or some other aspect of the amp's operation; performance? Sometimes, engineering cleverly hides in a components design. I know Jack reads this thread for time to time, perhaps he'll weigh-in over the weekend. 

Well I hope Jack doesn't take offense to my poking fun of the mono blocks.   I mean for 10K that's about as involved with them as I'll ever get.   That kind of coin is definitely the beginning of speaker rig territory for me and I can't ever imagine spending that kind of money on a headphone amp. But that's coming from a guy who doesn't have all that much respect for headphone reproduction when compared to speaker rigs so... 

Still though I think they look like wonderful Expresso machines!   

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #16,323 of 42,298
Quote:

I don't have the Shure anymore but I do love the JH13 with both 22, it is surprising how well it scales and revels with better amp.

Interesting... IMO, i may be wrong, but i feel this is quite an amp for IEM's. It's purpose if more for full sized headphones. But at least ive go room for growth
tongue.gif

Quote:
Midnight. I'm still fixin' dinner at this writing... (grilled shrimp; veggies; rice). 
biggrin.gif
  Will start warming up the Woo @ 2300 hours.

Roger that.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #16,324 of 42,298
I think that the new Woo design is wonderful. It reminds me of the architectural achievements happening all over Europe. When I first saw the WA234, I thought of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain and buildings in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I is wonderfully progressive and edgy--which can only be matched by its sonic achievements as well.
Great work. Great strides.

Even Picasso evoked the -- "What gut reaction."

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #16,325 of 42,298

No chance for February so you could make the Bay Area meet?  I can bring the sake!

Quote:

When I'm in San Fran, tea is out.  Sake and more sake.  I'm planning for May 2012 during the geek conference or March if I can swing it.

When it comes to tea, I'm very picky.  At times when I go dim sum, I bring my own pots and tea, at the very least my own tea.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #16,326 of 42,298
Jacks designs remind me of Apples designs.  the aesthetics are top notch.  and the price tag is a smidge higher but you know what you're paying for.  not detail overlooked, and beautiful lines.

wow i think i just paid apple a complement for the first time ever.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #16,327 of 42,298

Quote:
can you open the bottom panel to see if there is a loose screw?  I will not recommend to power it back on until you know where the noise from, i shorted my WA22 when I noticed the screw loose noise and ignore it.

I have tried this and discovered a loose nut.  I could not see anything missing a nut, so I have no idea what to do with it.  Is there something in between the outer case and inner metal plate it could have come from?  I'm trying to disassemble as little as possible at a time in hopes I will not screw anything up.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #16,329 of 42,298

Quote:
Jacks designs remind me of Apples designs.  the aesthetics are top notch.  and the price tag is a smidge higher but you know what you're paying for.  not detail overlooked, and beautiful lines.

wow i think i just paid apple a complement for the first time ever.

What an indictment! 

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #16,330 of 42,298

Quote:
I have tried this and discovered a loose nut.  I could not see anything missing a nut, so I have no idea what to do with it.  Is there something in between the outer case and inner metal plate it could have come from?  I'm trying to disassemble as little as possible at a time in hopes I will not screw anything up.

This isn't good and could end badly! If you still cannot find it beyond minor dis-assembly, please drop Jack on a note on the website. He'll likely respond to your urgent request for help Saturday via Twitter. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #16,332 of 42,298

Quote:
I think that the new Woo design is wonderful. It reminds me of the architectural achievements happening all over Europe. When I first saw the WA234, I thought of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain and buildings in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I is wonderfully progressive and edgy--which can only be matched by its sonic achievements as well.
Great work. Great strides.

Even Picasso evoked the -- "What gut reaction."

Well stated. I'm still left wondering if we've overlooked any engineering achievements cleverly hidden inside the design. Unless Jack and/or his brother were inspired from recent travel, or woke up in the middle of the night inspired by a dream, there's got to be a rhyme & reason behind the design. Maybe not, but I would like to know from an appreciation perspective.
popcorn.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #16,333 of 42,298

Quote:
Interesting... IMO, i may be wrong, but i feel this is quite an amp for IEM's. It's purpose if more for full sized headphones. But at least ive go room for growth
tongue.gif

Roger that.

Dinner  Dessert  Dishes  Done. As I'm about to warm up the Woo in 20 min, I'd be kickin' myself if I found out that the pairing sounds good yet, the IEM's were sitting in the drawer all this time! 
biggrin.gif
 I do remember initially finding out the first week that it did not, but I had stock driver tubes and Miss Sophia doing duty. Maybe my '49 Raytheon 6SN7WGT's & USAF-596 will be up to the task.

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #16,334 of 42,298

Quote:
Well I hope Jack doesn't take offense to my poking fun of the mono blocks.   I mean for 10K that's about as involved with them as I'll ever get.   That kind of coin is definitely the beginning of speaker rig territory for me and I can't ever imagine spending that kind of money on a headphone amp. But that's coming from a guy who doesn't have all that much respect for headphone reproduction when compared to speaker rigs so... 

Still though I think they look like wonderful Expresso machines!   

Don't forget it's not just a headphone amp, it's also a speaker amp:

"If you want to share the music with friends thru speakers, you then swap out the headphone OSK [Output Switching Key] and insert the speaker OSK."

Quote:
Midnight. I'm still fixin' dinner at this writing... (grilled shrimp; veggies; rice). 
biggrin.gif
  Will start warming up the Woo @ 2300 hours.

Post a pic in the cooking thread sometime!

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #16,335 of 42,298

Quote:

Don't forget it's not just a headphone amp, it's also a speaker amp:

"If you want to share the music with friends thru speakers, you then swap out the headphone OSK [Output Switching Key] and insert the speaker OSK."

Post a pic in the cooking thread sometime!

You got it! Also stop by the "explain-your-avatar" thread... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back