Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #15,736 of 42,298

Quote:
I've actually only been using iTunes.  Does it sound different and better with other software?

Are you referring to playback quality? In my quiet opinion, I like other options over iTunes for playback and think they all return better sound than iTunes and its playback engine (QuickTime). I would like to add the latest version of iTunes sounds good. Simply, there are better options depending on how discriminating you are. I only recently acquired my preferred player last month - Amarra 2.3.2.(4315) is quite the player! I like Pure Music as well.

I feel Audirvana Plus has been emerging nicely and it's smartly priced - great bang for the buck! This is if you're on the 'OS X 'side of the fence. Most players offer 15 day trials. For me, one of the great things this hobby affords is exploration... play time, if you would. Who doesn't like to experiment in this hobby?! Eventually will use JRM myself on one of the Windows computers here.  As well as try newer stripped down Windows players for audiophiles. 

But let me be clear, the Mac system is the primary system. 
wink.gif
 And Amarra makes for a great pairing.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #15,737 of 42,298

Quote:
I use ASIO because I have a dedicated soundcard which supports it.  What's available to you depends upon your audio hardware support, but the output modes are basically listed in order of desirability starting with ASIO and WASAPI (which should be indistinguishable from each other).  Even if your hardware doesn't support exclusive device access you should still be able to use kernel streaming which will bypass the windows Kmixer and Direct Sound.  Those are the two evils that make everything sound like junk in Windows.

I'm using a W4S DAC2 via USB, it doesn't seem to like ASIO, but WASAPI works fine. Which is what I was using with Foobar2000, but this is definitely a smoother implementation and a slicker interface that the foo.

Cheers.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #15,738 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm using a W4S DAC2 via USB, it doesn't seem to like ASIO, but WASAPI works fine. Which is what I was using with Foobar2000, but this is definitely a smoother implementation and a slicker interface that the foo.

Cheers.

I'd be interested to learn what's keeping ASIO tripped up?

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #15,739 of 42,298

Quote:
I'd be interested to learn what's keeping ASIO tripped up?

In the ASIO settings it's greyed out, simply stating that "no ASIO devices detected".
Though it does list it in the same tab under Volume Devices.

Dunno. WASAPI is fine. I can't say that it sounds any better or different than Foobar, but it is a better piece of software, that is for sure.

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #15,740 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
I use ASIO because I have a dedicated soundcard which supports it.  What's available to you depends upon your audio hardware support, but the output modes are basically listed in order of desirability starting with ASIO and WASAPI (which should be indistinguishable from each other).  Even if your hardware doesn't support exclusive device access you should still be able to use kernel streaming which will bypass the windows Kmixer and Direct Sound.  Those are the two evils that make everything sound like junk in Windows.

Cheers.

If you are using the W4S DAC2 via USB, how come you are not using their drivers?  They put the computer into slave mode to the DAC and reduces a lot of jitter.  Music through their drivers always sounded better than everything else.

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #15,741 of 42,298

Quote:
If you are using the W4S DAC2 via USB, how come you are not using their drivers?  They put the computer into slave mode to the DAC and reduces a lot of jitter.  Music through their drivers always sounded better than everything else.

I am using their drivers. You still have to choose an output method in the software being used, as per their manuals, choose their driver, which I do.

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #15,742 of 42,298
Enabling exclusive mode is the other key to getting good sound in windows 7.  Only the direct streaming methods like ASIO and WASAPI allow it, so if there is no driver level support for any of those things in an individual's PC then they are up a creek so to speak.  One of the nice things about J River is that it will not relinquish exclusive control of the audio device even if windows requests it, basically meaning that windows sound effects or system sounds can't kick the playback out of exclusive mode.  J River will only relinquish control if you stop playback.... lots of other players don't do this and let Windows hijack the audio device if it wants to and once this happens you are in shared mode and your SQ has taken a hit.

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #15,743 of 42,298
hmm sounds like i might have to give this  jriver thingy a try 

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #15,746 of 42,298

Quote:
Can anyone recommend any cheap/simple silicone or rubber isolation feet to place under an amp or transport?

A friend of mine uses these under his Lyr amp.   He loves them.  I might get some myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Audio-Vibration-Isolation-Damper-Feet-4-Pcs-/300584676648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fc3e2d28#ht_1658wt_1163
ZoomButt.gif

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tweaks&m=178794
ZoomButt.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #15,748 of 42,298

Quote:
I am using their drivers. You still have to choose an output method in the software being used, as per their manuals, choose their driver, which I do.

Looks like the windows driver is very different than the Mac's.  Actually there is no seperate software interface for the DAC-2 on the Mac. it's all done through the Audio MIDI software and even then there isn't much to do.  there is no Buffering choice from "More skip resistant" to "More responsive" option like there is above.

ZoomButt.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #15,750 of 42,298

Quote:
Looks like the windows driver is very different than the Mac's.  Actually there is no seperate software interface for the DAC-2 on the Mac. it's all done through the Audio MIDI software and even then there isn't much to do.  there is no Buffering choice from "More skip resistant" to "More responsive" option like there is above.

ZoomButt.gif

I only need drivers for the DAC-1 if I'm using USB. But I use a bridge with Coax & Optical; bridge has its own hi-speed 2.0 USB drivers (C-media). But you're right, I see very few options on the Mac side. I do have all of this to deal with on Windows too, though - E-MU 0404 USB & ASIO... buffering, latency and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back