Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #15,721 of 42,298

Quote:

The little portables are amazing.  I often use my Tascam DR-1 as a backup in case something goes wrong with the main equipment.  Given a nice line level signal the DR-1 sounds better than it should. :)

Earlier this Winter, I casually mentioned the dreaded "D" word to WarriorAnt (Delta Alpha Tango) and he was no more good! He became haunted in ways like Halloween has never seen! Took a few months for him to stop cursing, spitting and throwing up. So, I voluntarily took steps to help a head-fi brother out... and watch my mouth!  
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #15,722 of 42,298

Quote:
I spent a lot of time looking into this once upon a time, thinking that bit perfect should be a snap in the PC world.  Turns out it is not nearly that simple, and depending upon how the software AND hardware handles the signal there can indeed be considerable differences in SQ.  In the world of Windows I've found nothing better than J River Media Center.  They use a true 64-bit data path path and support every bit streaming output option in existence.  Compared to letting DirectSound touch the audio signal path the difference is night and day, like adding or removing your DAC from the setup.

If Dubstep Girl is happy now with her iTunes based solution, wait 'till she gets a better player. She'll be so focused under her headphones, her family will have to start bringing her dinner to the room! I suggested JRiver Media Center to her earlier this morning in a bit of coincidence. 
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #15,723 of 42,298
I ordered the adapter on Thursday.  Thanks for the offer.  I shouldn't have to wait too long.  

Quote:
You're on your way! Have you ordered the adapter yet? If for some reason you order, say from Glenn, and there's a delay in parts or something, I'll send you mine from the East Bay for a week.
beerchug.gif

Just woke up last hour. And just realized you have a '22.' At least Silent One has your back!

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #15,725 of 42,298

Quote:
If Dubstep Girl is happy now with her iTunes based solution, wait 'till she gets a better player. She'll be so focused under her headphones, her family will have to start bringing her dinner to the room! I suggested JRiver Media Center to her earler this morning in a bit of coincidence. 
wink.gif

i've been thinking about it, just dunno how it will work with my iphone/ipod.

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #15,726 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi All:

Quick question for the legion of Woo owners!  I'm thinking of joining your ranks...listen mostly to headphones but speakers sometimes, so the WA2 with the preamp out is looking like my choice.  I like everything I have read about it (which is a lot).  So my question, what are the best headphones for this amp?  The ones with the amazing symmetry where you just say they were made for each other.  Trying to put together a list of what phones would match well.  My musical tastes are all over the board, so that does not really help.  Thanks!

I have a preference for the HD800 headphone.  From my perspective and tastes I find that they go down as deep as you can go while at the same time remain delicate to transmit detail and nuance.  I find them netural sounding and fast.  Just my 2 cents.

Also, think about a replacement for the stock headphone cable whatever brand you settle on as I think that even people with differences over brands will mostly agree that a really good headphone cable will bring out the best.

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #15,727 of 42,298

Quote:
i've been thinking about it, just dunno how it will work with my iphone/ipod.

"How" it will work with your iPhone & iPod? It will work great (they're supported). Additionally, there's even a iPhone-iPod-iTouch remote client for JRiver Media Center. I sit in both an L-shape & U-shape configuration for my two rigs... so close I'd probably have to back up just to use the remote. 
dt880smile.png

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #15,728 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm thinking mono block WA2's without the preamp circuitry,  two nice blocks, but then the WA6SE would be nice looking with two amp blocks and two power supplies...
ZoomButt.gif

WA6SE Mono Blocks --

I would nickname the dual twin chassis design set up, in all black cladding, "Baby Sinister." 
eek.gif

evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #15,729 of 42,298

Quote:
I have a preference for the HD800 headphone.  From my perspective and tastes I find that they go down as deep as you can go while at the same time remain delicate to transmit detail and nuance.  I find them netural sounding and fast.  Just my 2 cents.

Also, think about a replacement for the stock headphone cable whatever brand you settle on as I think that even people with differences over brands will mostly agree that a really good headphone cable will bring out the best.

+2

Me? I wouldn't allow a brand new headphone to leave the dealer/mfg without being re-cabled. Stock cables are fine... and so is the profit-margin for Mfg's supplying them. Not sure about the 009's, I'd take 'em any which way I could get 'em!  
rolleyes.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #15,730 of 42,298
I've actually only been using iTunes.  Does it sound different and better with other software?

Quote:
If Dubstep Girl is happy now with her iTunes based solution, wait 'till she gets a better player. She'll be so focused under her headphones, her family will have to start bringing her dinner to the room! I suggested JRiver Media Center to her earlier this morning in a bit of coincidence. 
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #15,732 of 42,298
Nov 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #15,733 of 42,298

Quote:
I spent a lot of time looking into this once upon a time, thinking that bit perfect should be a snap in the PC world.  Turns out it is not nearly that simple, and depending upon how the software AND hardware handles the signal there can indeed be considerable differences in SQ.  In the world of Windows I've found nothing better than J River Media Center.  They use a true 64-bit data path path and support every bit streaming output option in existence.  Compared to letting DirectSound touch the audio signal path the difference is night and day, like adding or removing your DAC from the setup.

Playing with the demo now, which output mode do you use?

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #15,734 of 42,298
I use ASIO because I have a dedicated soundcard which supports it.  What's available to you depends upon your audio hardware support, but the output modes are basically listed in order of desirability starting with ASIO and WASAPI (which should be indistinguishable from each other).  Even if your hardware doesn't support exclusive device access you should still be able to use kernel streaming which will bypass the windows Kmixer and Direct Sound.  Those are the two evils that make everything sound like junk in Windows.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #15,735 of 42,298

Quote:
Vibrapods are nice and inexpensive.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VBCONE

Thanks, I'll look into those.  I can't say I buy their claims of better imaging or transparency though, I'm just looking to tame tube microphonics.  I'm having pretty rotten luck finding power tubes that don't transmit every little tap and touch on my desk so far.  Power tubes in general are a new game for me since my WA6 doesn't use any, so who knows maybe they are just like this most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back