Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #15,571 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the DACMagic.  Gamma2 is a DIY correct?  I can't solder.  
frown.gif

You can contact MisterX to build one for you.  I had both at one time and prefer the gamma2 but the DacMagic have more functions (like XLR out)

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #15,572 of 42,298

Quote:
So I have a photo shoot in NYC next week, about 4-5 days in Times Square, and Woo comes to mind as I am interested in making my system a balanced one (WA22).

I know I could email Jack, and I have before with inquiries, but does anyone know where abouts in NY they are located?

I would love to ask about checking the place out, and perhaps smuggling something back across the border with me to Canada after the shoot.

Are they in Manhattan or outside a bit?

You're going to love the WA22.  Of course you know that it's best to feed it a balanced signal.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #15,573 of 42,298

Quote:
My amp was delayed two months, so just make sure your amp would be ready when you get to NYC.

When mine came across the border, the invoice was about half of what the actual cost was. So there was some savings there. Also helped when the wife asked "How much was that". 

Hmm, perhaps I've got my head in the sky a bit then. I fly next week and am there for 5 days.
Luckily I'm not married and my girlfriend appreciates audio as much as I can realistically expect... though she does get curious about the money sometimes.

I'll contact Jack.
Thanks!

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #15,574 of 42,298

Quote:
You're going to love the WA22.  Of course you know that it's best to feed it a balanced signal.

Yes indeed sir.

A Wyred4Sound DAC2 should suffice no? 

One just showed up today, I turned it on and it started complaining about having to send out an SE signal, and that I really needed to find it a balanced mate....

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #15,576 of 42,298
Maybe one of the new W4S uDACs that were just announced at RMAF. The uDAC-HD at $499 sounds like it might be a killer product. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #15,577 of 42,298

Quote:
HELP I need a DAC to connect my WooAudio 3 to my PC.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to not spend more on the DAC than was spent on the Amp if possible. 

Maybe one of the new W4S uDACs that were just announced at RMAF. The uDAC-HD at $499 sounds like it might be a killer product.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #15,579 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Yes indeed sir.

A Wyred4Sound DAC2 should suffice no? 

One just showed up today, I turned it on and it started complaining about having to send out an SE signal, and that I really needed to find it a balanced mate....

A lot of people on the board have a W4S DAC2 as do I and I love mine.  I was able to audition it at the same time as the Bryston DAC and even though Stereophile gave that DAC their product of the year award and the reviewer bought his review sample, I found the W4S DAC to be more musical than the Bryston.  My aha moment came when listening to Frank Sinatra.  On the Bryston, everything was clear and tonally correct, but when listening through the W4S the emotion in Frank's voice was more clearly conveyed.  I talked to Ed Sargento at W4S about that he he told me that they pay great attention to micro dynamics.

Also, I found out that if you set the min volume to 0 and max volume to 70 and set the output to 60 you'll have the cleanest signal.

Once you put a balanced signal into the WA22, you'll at least double your sonic goodness.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #15,580 of 42,298

Quote:
  I talked to Ed Sargento at W4S about that he he told me that they pay great attention to micro dynamics.

He is absolutely correct.  A good musician puts a lot of effort into dynamics and tonal shading.  Any piece of equipment that captures both will best convey musical expression. 

As far as headphones go, I find the T1 very good in this respect.

Thanks, Mike.  Nice piece of information partially explaining why this is such a nice DAC.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #15,581 of 42,298

Quote:

He is absolutely correct.  A good musician puts a lot of effort into dynamics and tonal shading.  Any piece of equipment that captures both will best convey musical expression. 

As far as headphones go, I find the T1 very good in this respect.

Thanks, Mike.  Nice piece of information partially explaining why this is such a nice DAC.

+2

And the Woo/W4S family grows...

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #15,582 of 42,298
I did a quick a dirty comparison of the WA2 vs the Lyr using only the LCD2r2s. I chose tracks that I've listened to recently so I wasn't ambushed by new things I haven't heard before on these rigs.

The first point goes to the Lyr for having an actual name rather than a meaningless abbreviation model number. T1, LCD2r2,WA2,****.

Rachmaninoff - Vocalise No. 14 Op. 34

The Lyr gives a clear detailed presentation. The WA2 provides the more emotional experience. Is this a particularly fair piece to use? After all it is a Romantic composer using haunting, sweeping passages. Tough, round goes to the WA2 without reservation.

Ella & Louis Again - Stompin' at The Savoy

Again the Lyr sounds clearer, detailed - if I was re-engineering this track I'd want the LCD2 to work with for sure. And again probably not a fair track to use. Clear detail isn't what you want with this one. The WA2 wins by virtue of scoring highest on the toe tapping metre.

Tom Waits - Tom Traubert's Blues

I was going to award this one to the Lyr as soon as it started playing. It sounds fantastic. Switching to the WA2, it made the Lyr sound like Tom was singing directly into my ear, whereas the WA2 had slightly less edge - Tom moved to the couch across from me. Ultimately I think the Woo would be less fatiguing, but the Lyr is more immediately impressive. I'm going to give this a tie because while I think the Lyr sounds better in the short term, I might tire of the feeling of Tom's nicotine breath on my ear drums.

Katy Perry - MTV Unplugged

That's right Katy Perry, you wanna make something of it? :wink: Actually I was surprised to find out she has a decent voice to go along with her more than decent ..um assets..um I mean earnings.

The Lyr plays well to the in your face edginess of this acoustic sound. On the other hand the WA2 kind of rounded the edges- it sounded almost muted compared to the Lyr. Katy goes to the Lyr.

If I had to choose between these two amps I would definitely base the decision on the kind of music I favoured. There are significant differences in the sound and the experience produced. By the way I used the HM-602 (another stupid abbreviation - they could at least use amusing acronyms) as source for all these because I have been messing with it over the last couple of day and I just Rockboxed it, so I wanted to give it a run. I know this comparison isn't worth a hell of a lot , but this thread got me wondering about the differences and I'm away all weekend so I wanted to satisfy my own curiosity somewhat.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #15,583 of 42,298

Quote:
A lot of people on the board have a W4S DAC2 as do I and I love mine.  I was able to audition it at the same time as the Bryston DAC and even though Stereophile gave that DAC their product of the year award and the reviewer bought his review sample, I found the W4S DAC to be more musical than the Bryston.  My aha moment came when listening to Frank Sinatra.  On the Bryston, everything was clear and tonally correct, but when listening through the W4S the emotion in Frank's voice was more clearly conveyed.  I talked to Ed Sargento at W4S about that he he told me that they pay great attention to micro dynamics.

Also, I found out that if you set the min volume to 0 and max volume to 70 and set the output to 60 you'll have the cleanest signal.

Once you put a balanced signal into the WA22, you'll at least double your sonic goodness.

Having spent time in your wonderfully set up listening room, I can testify! Although, I'm going to have to return shortly to perform an annual audit.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #15,584 of 42,298

Quote:
I did a quick a dirty comparison of the WA2 vs the Lyr using only the LCD2r2s. I chose tracks that I've listened to recently so I wasn't ambushed by new things I haven't heard before on these rigs.

The first point goes to the Lyr for having an actual name rather than a meaningless abbreviation model number. T1, LCD2r2,WA2,****.

Rachmaninoff - Vocalise No. 14 Op. 34

The Lyr gives a clear detailed presentation. The WA2 provides the more emotional experience. Is this a particularly fair piece to use? After all it is a Romantic composer using haunting, sweeping passages. Tough, round goes to the WA2 without reservation.

Ella & Louis Again - Stompin' at The Savoy

Again the Lyr sounds clearer, detailed - if I was re-engineering this track I'd want the LCD2 to work with for sure. And again probably not a fair track to use. Clear detail isn't what you want with this one. The WA2 wins by virtue of scoring highest on the toe tapping metre.

Tom Waits - Tom Traubert's Blues

I was going to award this one to the Lyr as soon as it started playing. It sounds fantastic. Switching to the WA2, it made the Lyr sound like Tom was singing directly into my ear, whereas the WA2 had slightly less edge - Tom moved to the couch across from me. Ultimately I think the Woo would be less fatiguing, but the Lyr is more immediately impressive. I'm going to give this a tie because while I think the Lyr sounds better in the short term, I might tire of the feeling of Tom's nicotine breath on my ear drums.

Katy Perry - MTV Unplugged

That's right Katy Perry, you wanna make something of it?
wink.gif
Actually I was surprised to find out she has a decent voice to go along with her more than decent ..um assets..um I mean earnings.

The Lyr plays well to the in your face edginess of this acoustic sound. On the other hand the WA2 kind of rounded the edges- it sounded almost muted compared to the Lyr. Katy goes to the Lyr.

If I had to choose between these two amps I would definitely base the decision on the kind of music I favoured. There are significant differences in the sound and the experience produced. By the way I used the HM-602 (another stupid abbreviation - they could at least use amusing acronyms) as source for all these because I have been messing with it over the last couple of day and I just Rockboxed it, so I wanted to give it a run. I know this comparison isn't worth a hell of a lot , but this thread got me wondering about the differences and I'm away all weekend so I wanted to satisfy my own curiosity somewhat.

I'd rather be roxboxed than Rick Rolled!

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #15,585 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Having spent time in your wonderfully set up listening room, I can testify! Although, I'm going to have to return shortly to perform an annual audit.  
wink_face.gif

Yes, any time!  You know I have an old Music Hall MMF-7 that I am not using at the moment and if you need a turntable, you are welcome to borrow it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back