Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 24, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #14,792 of 42,298
Hey, SilentOne! I just realized that you have a WA6SE in use with LCD-2 and HiFiMAN cans. I am partial to my Sophia Princess rectifier, but any advice on what you think works best as driver tubes in your experience? I am happy with my Raytheon 6EW7's for both the HE-500 and LCD-2 rev.1 (with the former in the high-impedance jack, and the latter in the low-impedance one), but I am starting to think that it is time to go shopping for some primo drivers.

What say other WA6SE fans of their favorite driver tube (and rectifier, if you'd like) choices?
regular_smile%20.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #14,793 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey, SilentOne! I just realized that you have a WA6SE in use with LCD-2 and HiFiMAN cans. I am partial to my Sophia Princess rectifier, but any advice on what you think works best as driver tubes in your experience? I am happy with my Raytheon 6EW7's for both the HE-500 and LCD-2 rev.1 (with the former in the high-impedance jack, and the latter in the low-impedance one), but I am starting to think that it is time to go shopping for some primo drivers.

What say other WA6SE fans of their favorite driver tube (and rectifier, if you'd like) choices?
regular_smile%20.gif

Greetings sampson_smith!

Thanks to an outstanding and fellow head-fier 'shipsupt,' I had both cans on loan for extended evaluation (pleasure?). 
atsmile.gif
  At the time, I didn't do any tube rolling. And I run 6SN7 drive tubes with adapters. The trio of tubes in place: Raytheon 6SN7WGT-1949's & EML 5U4G rectifier.

The Ray's/EML Glass combo returned a satisfying sound with the LCD-2.r1's. But I seemed to get the best sound out of the HE-500's on a Vintage Pioneer Integrated amp. Ok with the WA6SE, but came to life with the BIG solid-state iron. 

With the LCD-2's the addicting and deeply satisfying bass was a given. Best surprise moment for me with those cans came when I sat in to listen to Al Jarreau. Not really knowing what to expect, his track "Golden Girl" was only the second track of the evening, as I was just getting under way. And the way the LCD-2's expressed Al's vocals (and backup singers) was a very beautiful thing to hear. So, I cut the track short at 90 seconds in and hit "Restart" just because I could!  
biggrin.gif

However...

I did struggle with the LCD-2's on a few issues - mid-bass; treble; soundstage and some micro-details. But no HP is perfect. And though it often left me wanting more, that can is engaging. I want one! Funds permitting, I'd get one to compliment my Zeus re-cabled D7000's, but not to replace them. I do believe my listening room should have at least one pair of Closed/Open cans each. At some point will start shopping for some pre-owned Open cans. But not if some LCD-2's become available first!

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #14,794 of 42,298

Quote:
Fireing up Glenn's Adapter & 596!

Nice, some comment please, mike.

Quote:
You guys brought up all the 596...
angry_face.gif

My second matched pair is on the way to my home.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Got a pretty bad cold last few days, can't enjoy my Woo...  
mad.gif

Take some medicine with some music from your WA22 will make you recover faster than ever, that's why your bad cold last for few days.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #14,795 of 42,298

Quote:
Nice, some comment please, mike.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Take some medicine with some music from your WA22 will make you recover faster than ever, that's why your bad cold last for few days.
biggrin.gif

Wondering if your twin '596' tubes returned a slightly larger soundstage than it did initially. I realize we have two different designs. But my single '596' did not return a smaller soundstage than my EML Glass. You have two rectifiers and report that it did. We be curious...
popcorn.gif

A second matched pair? So, it's YOU single-handedly driving up prices!!! Any further comments on what you hear with the '596?'
dt880smile.png

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #14,796 of 42,298

Quote:
I thought you ordered when dannie01 did?! 
blink.gif
  By-the-way, the '596' marks the first time I touched a tube before inflation did!

Inflation? How can a nonexistent tube be inflated? It's nowhere to be found.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #14,797 of 42,298

Quote:
Don't see too many posts on 300B tubes, any idea how the WE and EAT compare to EML 300BM?  Only one I have other than the stock Shuggys that came with WA5. 

I don't have experience with the EML.  The WE is luscious midrange and texture; the EAT, pop and extension.  It is like comparing an EL34 with a KT88 if this helps.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #14,798 of 42,298

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

You devil, hook me up if you found any more.

My ears is stuffed, that is why the Woo sitting loney the las few days.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #14,800 of 42,298

Quote:

You devil, hook me up if you found any more.

My ears is stuffed, that is why the Woo sitting loney the las few days.

I was able to secure a second pair for back up too!! 
biggrin.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #14,802 of 42,298
Good hear, SilentOne. The LCD-2 (r.1, in my case) is a plenty engaging can and the WA6SE handles my pair amply. It is overall a fairly laid-back set of cans and perhaps I was looking for a method (via driver tube 'upgrade') to brighten things up a bit. I also sometimes take issue with the mid-bass smearing (?) and lack of extreme detail. This may not be as big a concern with the r.2's which are a bit more detailed/bright, some say. Overall, I think it is mainly alternating between the HE-500's and LCD-2's that shows rather starkly what each is best at. The HiFiMAN have a good deal of detail and and stage width and depth... and sparkle (while maintaining well-refined, deep bass). The LCD-2's are like black tea with a touch of honey. Warm, enriching and contemplative. Definitely a refined version of aural yin and yang going on here.

I will stick with the Raytheon 6EW7's for now, but perhaps go back to the 6SN7's which I have a few pairs of.  Gotta check to be sure on that, as I have trouble remembering the various compatible tube serial numbers. Thanks for the comments/advice!

Quote:
Greetings sampson_smith!

Thanks to an outstanding and fellow head-fier 'shipsupt,' I had both cans on loan for extended evaluation (pleasure?). 
atsmile.gif
  At the time, I didn't do any tube rolling. And I run 6SN7 drive tubes with adapters. The trio of tubes in place: Raytheon 6SN7WGT-1949's & EML 5U4G rectifier.

The Ray's/EML Glass combo returned a satisfying sound with the LCD-2.r1's. But I seemed to get the best sound out of the HE-500's on a Vintage Pioneer Integrated amp. Ok with the WA6SE, but came to life with the BIG solid-state iron. 

With the LCD-2's the addicting and deeply satisfying bass was a given. Best surprise moment for me with those cans came when I sat in to listen to Al Jarreau. Not really knowing what to expect, his track "Golden Girl" was only the second track of the evening, as I was just getting under way. And the way the LCD-2's expressed Al's vocals (and backup singers) was a very beautiful thing to hear. So, I cut the track short at 90 seconds in and hit "Restart" just because I could!  
biggrin.gif

However...

I did struggle with the LCD-2's on a few issues - mid-bass; treble; soundstage and some micro-details. But no HP is perfect. And though it often left me wanting more, that can is engaging. I want one! Funds permitting, I'd get one to compliment my Zeus re-cabled D7000's, but not to replace them. I do believe my listening room should have at least one pair of Closed/Open cans each. At some point will start shopping for some pre-owned Open cans. But not if some LCD-2's become available first!

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #14,804 of 42,298

Quote:
Got a pretty bad cold last few days, can't enjoy my Woo...  
mad.gif

Ugh, I just got over that myself.  The worst part is the plugged sinuses which creates pressure in the ear drums.  Everything sounds tinny and horrible during this period, which tends to last for weeks after the cold in my case.  Not a happy camper right now because I can't enjoy any music at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back