Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #12,931 of 42,298

Quote:
I didn't think that UPSes are really that good for audio equipment with respect to clean power.  I see them as more for protection than anything else.

That's what I have always thought as well, but why go to the bother of re-generating dirty power with mixed results when we could completely isolate our sensitive audio components from the grid with a battery-powered UPS? I am starting to see the wisdom in Vinnie's approach at Red Wine Audio, where many of their components run off of their own internal battery. Lately he's even been incorporating a 12v output from his DAC/amp combos so you can have other things like the bridges and transports running off of that same isolated, internal battery. To my way of thinking this is the same thing electrically as running a component off of a separate UPS.

Other companies besides RWA are doing this as well. There's a few phono stages that I can think of, as well as the Grado headphone amps, where the battery-operated version has a better reputation for fidelity than its AC-powered counterpart.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #12,932 of 42,298

Quote:

That's what I have always thought as well, but why go to the bother of re-generating dirty power with mixed results when we could completely isolate our sensitive audio components from the grid with a battery-powered UPS? I am starting to see the wisdom in Vinnie's approach at Red Wine Audio, where many of their components run off of their own internal battery. Lately he's even been incorporating a 12v output from his DAC/amp combos so you can have other things like the bridges and transports running off of that same isolated, internal battery. To my way of thinking this is the same thing electrically as running a component off of a separate UPS.

Other companies besides RWA are doing this as well. There's a few phono stages that I can think of, as well as the Grado headphone amps, where the battery-operated version has a better reputation for fidelity than its AC-powered counterpart.

I too, like RWA/Vinnie's approach! PiAudio Group is doing the same with their battery buss so the user can connect other system components to battery power.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #12,933 of 42,298

Quote:

This is one of the reasons why I'm having trouble getting rid of my Ack Dack 2.0 which I've had since '05... despite some of its faults, it throws a seductively black background.  The only thing is I have to remember to shut it off within an 8 hour period as to not drain the battery.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #12,934 of 42,298

Quote:

This is one of the reasons why I'm having trouble getting rid of my Ack Dack 2.0 which I've had since '05... despite some of its faults, it throws a seductively black background.  The only thing is I have to remember to shut it off within an 8 hour period as to not drain the battery.

Interesting. Haven't been to LoCal in awhile (SD/La Jolla). But I will be on the lookout to see if I can't get a listen soon... love the battery option it has! How does/did it pair with your Woo?

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #12,935 of 42,298
Shoot, just got an email from Jack of Wooland, saying that there is a delay in building my amp. I am going back in hthe field soon and will probably not listen to it until I come back, shooooooot!

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #12,936 of 42,298

Quote:
Shoot, just got an email from Jack of Wooland, saying that there is a delay in building my amp. I am going back in hthe field soon and will probably not listen to it until I come back, shooooooot!

I had two hurdles to deal with last year. My amp arrived 9 July, 2010 but I ordered 2 May, 2010. I faced a strong demand from Spring orders and then Jack shut down production for Can-Jam. But, at least I didn't have to hit the road for travel. Hang in there!
beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #12,937 of 42,298

Quote:

I don't believe you get battery power from a UPS unless the electricity is cut.  I think it runs on AC unless there is an outage.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #12,938 of 42,298
Isn't there also some problem with current-limiting with many/most UPS's?

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #12,939 of 42,298
To all WA22 owners:
Hi guys, do you have in mind Jack's "Woo Audio amplifier comparisons" table?
In the category "Euphonic" our ampli beats also the WA5 and the WA5-LE! What do you think about it? Do you agree with him?
Also it would be interesting to know if Jack has compiled his Comparisons table with all his models equipped with stock tubes or with upgrade tubes.
IMHO I think the WA22 with upgrade tubes and in balanced mode is really an excellent headphone ampli and that probably it is at the same level of Wa5-LE.
Did anybody hear WA22 and Wa5-LE for a reasonable amount of time and can make his personal comparison?

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #12,940 of 42,298

Quote:
I had two hurdles to deal with last year. My amp arrived 9 July, 2010 but I ordered 2 May, 2010. I faced a strong demand from Spring orders and then Jack shut down production for Can-Jam. But, at least I didn't have to hit the road for travel. Hang in there!
beerchug.gif

Not very happy about this. I talked to Jack when I was ordering the amp because I only spend some time at home and then go back to work for almost 3 months. I am not sure I like this situation. Not sure what will happen if I leave and then the amp arrives. There is not always someone to pick a parcel from the courier at home.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #12,941 of 42,298

Quote:
Not very happy about this. I talked to Jack when I was ordering the amp because I only spend some time at home and then go back to work for almost 3 months. I am not sure I like this situation. Not sure what will happen if I leave and then the amp arrives. There is not always someone to pick a parcel from the courier at home.

I would: either delay shipping or have Jack ship to an alternate address (family). Likely, the former and have Jack ship it on-demand just prior to my return from the field. He's very flexible.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #12,942 of 42,298

Quote:
To all WA22 owners:
Hi guys, do you have in mind Jack's "Woo Audio amplifier comparisons" table?
In the category "Euphonic" our ampli beats also the WA5 and the WA5-LE! What do you think about it? Do you agree with him?
Also it would be interesting to know if Jack has compiled his Comparisons table with all his models equipped with stock tubes or with upgrade tubes.
IMHO I think the WA22 with upgrade tubes and in balanced mode is really an excellent headphone ampli and that probably it is at the same level of Wa5-LE.
Did anybody hear WA22 and Wa5-LE for a reasonable amount of time and can make his personal comparison?

Greetings LUMAZ! Many of us are familiar with the chart, 5-series & 22-series owners among us. But the chart doesn't tell the whole story, they're entirely two different amps. To draw conclusions from the chart that one amp bests another in a category or two so it is better would be premature (nor responsible). 
biggrin.gif
  Perhaps, when you come to the USA...

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #12,943 of 42,298

Quote:
I don't believe you get battery power from a UPS unless the electricity is cut.  I think it runs on AC unless there is an outage.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Evidently there are two different types of UPS technologies:

"There are two common systems in use today: standby UPS and continuous UPS. A standby UPS runs the computer off of the normal utility power until it detects a problem. At that point, it very quickly (in five milliseconds or less) turns on a power inverter and runs the computer off of the UPS's battery.

In a continuous UPS, the computer is always running off of battery power and the battery is continuously being recharged. You could fairly easily build a continuous UPS yourself with a largish battery charger, a battery and a power inverter.

Standby UPS systems are far more common for home or small-business use because they tend to cost about half as much as a continuous system. Continuous systems provide extremely clean, stable power, so they tend to be used in server rooms and mission critical applications."

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question28.htm

This makes the RWA approach all the more impressive to me.

Quote:
Isn't there also some problem with current-limiting with many/most UPS's?

This one seems a little harder to research, there's some info that says that the current is limited for charging and discharge of the battery, but in the standby scenario above I haven't found anything that supports this yet. If you have any info on this I would be interested. The current limiting while charging does help explain why I have problems with UPS units when I am running off generator power, I have to bypass them for the most part when that happens.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #12,944 of 42,298

Quote:
I would: either delay shipping or have Jack ship to an alternate address (family). Likely, the former and have Jack ship it on-demand just prior to my return from the field. He's very flexible.

I had the same thought about delaying postage until I come back in November. 

Problem is, I do not trust anyone and am a bit afraid there will be a dealy when I get back again, because the amp built for me will be sold while I am away.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #12,945 of 42,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back