Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #12,916 of 42,298
I would say that overall the Woos might pop up on a fairly regular basis but not any particular model. But the WA6 might be the most popular one so there you go. I picked up my WA22 in the FS forum and there were 2 or 3 of them available at that time.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #12,918 of 42,298

Quote:
Any Woo Audio owners have a run at using a linear regulated power supply or battery supply for their W4S DAC-1's & DAC-2's?

You mean like a PS Audio power regenerator?

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #12,919 of 42,298

Quote:
You mean like a PS Audio power regenerator?

Not quite that extensive. Rather, an external supply or battery supply. A linear regulated supply brought my EMU-0404 added depth; weight, to my presentation. From what I hear, Bolder makes great linear supplies but a lil' out of my reach. Looking to kick sonics a bit higher with the W4S shoe-box! 

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #12,920 of 42,298

Quote:
Not quite that extensive. Rather, an external supply or battery supply. A linear regulated supply brought my EMU-0404 added depth; weight, to my presentation. From what I hear, Bolder makes great linear supplies but a lil' out of my reach. Looking to kick sonics a bit higher with the W4S shoe-box! 

Do you think that a dedicated computer UPS to isolate the power would make a difference?

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #12,921 of 42,298

Quote:

Do you think that a dedicated computer UPS to isolate the power would make a difference?

I think having the computer on a different power outlet helps.  I use an APC XS 1500 for my Mac on a separate outlet.  Also the battery backup seems to have extended the life of my external drives.

I have my gear on a separate line. Soon I will be looking for an electrician to install a separate 20 amp line from the breaker box just for the rig to juice up on.   

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #12,922 of 42,298

Quote:
I think having the computer on a different power outlet helps.  I use an APC XS 1500 for my Mac on a separate outlet.  Also the battery backup seems to have extended the life of my external drives.

I have my gear on a separate line. Soon I will be looking for an electrician to install a separate 20 amp line from the breaker box just for the rig to juice up on.   

I meant dedicating a separate UPS for the DAC.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #12,923 of 42,298

Quote:

Not sure. But what I'm seeking comes before a UPS and other auxiliary components. I'm searching for a dedicated Linear Regulated Power Supply or a LiFePO4/SLA battery solution in place of the DAC-1's internal power supply which is good, by the way. W4S/Cullen does good internals. I just want to kick it up to the next sonic level!
popcorn.gif

For example, I'm reviewing the option of running a 12volt cable out of my Mac bypassing the internal SMPS and connecting directly to battery power. Or a custom Linear supply for the Mac. I simply want to do the same for the DAC-1.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #12,924 of 42,298

Quote:

You got it good! I can't tamper - staying as a guest temporarily in another's home. I will plug-in my Woo (analogue) into a separate outlet soon, though...

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #12,925 of 42,298

Quote:
Not sure. But what I'm seeking comes before a UPS and other auxiliary components. I'm searching for a dedicated Linear Regulated Power Supply or a LiFePO4/SLA battery solution in place of the DAC-1's internal power supply which is good, by the way. W4S/Cullen does good internals. I just want to kick it up to the next sonic level!
popcorn.gif

For example, I'm reviewing the option of running a 12volt cable out of my Mac bypassing the internal SMPS and connecting directly to battery power. Or a custom Linear supply for the Mac. I simply want to do the same for the DAC-1.

How would you achieve this with eW4S DAC?  

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #12,926 of 42,298

Quote:
How would you achieve this with eW4S DAC?  

What, the Linear supply or battery? Either would depend on the vendor's design. I really like what RWA, Mach2music & PiAudiogroup are doing in this light to take things off the grid. And makers like Bolder for Linear supplies... 

The one item that seems to be Mi$$ing?  
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #12,927 of 42,298

Quote:

I meant dedicating a separate UPS for the DAC.

I didn't think that UPSes are really that good for audio equipment with respect to clean power.  I see them as more for protection than anything else.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #12,928 of 42,298

Quote:
I didn't think that UPSes are really that good for audio equipment with respect to clean power.  I see them as more for protection than anything else.

I've heard the same thing.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #12,929 of 42,298

Quote:
Any Woo Audio owners have a run at using a linear regulated power supply or battery supply w/ W4S DAC-1's & DAC-2's?

Does the stock unit have a switching PSU?  I've heard lots of arguments about switching vs. linear on the tripath side of things.  There is a general feeling that switching supplies are considered inferior, but if the unit is well designed and is regulated this is almost entirely untrue.  The most common comment I see is linear seems to add a bit of weight and drive to the music, but this is in reference to an amp and not a DAC. 

I never tried the wall wart switching PSU that came with my VDA-2.  Since I ordered the upgraded linear supply from day one that is all I ever plugged into the unit.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #12,930 of 42,298

Quote:
Does the stock unit have a switching PSU?  I've heard lots of arguments about switching vs. linear on the tripath side of things.  There is a general feeling that switching supplies are considered inferior, but if the unit is well designed and is regulated this is almost entirely untrue.  The most common comment I see is linear seems to add a bit of weight and drive to the music, but this is in reference to an amp and not a DAC. 

I never tried the wall wart switching PSU that came with my VDA-2.  Since I ordered the upgraded linear supply from day one that is all I ever plugged into the unit.

Depending on a DAC's design (analogue or switching) it too, can have the same benefits of more weight and drive. This is the same benefit I got when I dumped my wall-wart for a linear regulated transformer supply on my EMU-0404 USB Interface (DAC) - night & day! Additionally, the Mac can benefit from both Linear & Battery supply outside its chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back