Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #10,831 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
I love the sound of the 45 rpm masters but it feels like the second I sit down, the side is done.
tongue.gif

Ain't THAT the truth! And it's enough of a hassle to change speeds on my VPI that I actually only play those on my DD Denon, which of course isn't quite as nice of a deck (although still quite nice)

I'm moving my turntable into my office, then there will be no excuses!

Quote:
I love the sound of the 45 rpm masters but it feels like the second I sit down, the side is done.
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #10,832 of 42,298

Quote:
tongue.gif

It gets better. You could be prepping and serving refreshments for guests, while spinning 45 rpm masters... which would really leave you spinning.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #10,833 of 42,298

Quote:
XCaliber, sounds to me like the tube pins need a good cleaning. But it could be the adapters, so try swapping those. I was thinking you might have a tube socket problem until you said the problem followed the tube, so it seems like it is dirty pins or the adapters. A true problem with the tube would be unlikely to be intermittent.

It was the adapters.  The contact seemed to be a bit loose on one of them.  I didn't suspect it at first because this is the first time I've had trouble with them and they use the same socket pins as the Woo itself.  I switched back to my old adapters which are a bear to put tubes into and so far there is no static, so I'm thinking that was it.  It couldn't have been the pins, they are flawlessly clean.  These tubes came to me in very clean condition even before I cleaned them.  I've been thinking of posting a picture in the 6SN7 thread, because this particular style of Sylvania seems awfully low on everybody's radar, but I'm utterly smitten with them.  They sound incredible.

Thanks as always for the help.  :)

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #10,834 of 42,298

Quote:
Any recommendations for pin cleaning equipment?  I use one of those scotch brite pads, but was wondering if there was something better out there.  Thanks.

I do the same thing as Skylab:  finest grade of steel wool you can find, followed by (in my case) De-Oxit, which is a similar product to ProGold that is meant to break up oxidation on very tarnished metal surfaces.  Pull a little wool off the bunch in the same direction it was wound and roll it in your hand until it forms a long thin strip.  I loop it around the pins and just work back and forth really fast which gets the insides, then fold the piece of wool and go over the tops of the pins second.  You'll have a brilliant shine when done, but be careful to get ALL the steel wool bits off afterwards.  If a piece is touching two pins when you put it in the amp it will cause a short.  I clean mine with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol as a final step, after using a Q-tip to apply de-oxit.  I've found it to be a bad idea to leave the de-oxit on the pins because it stains the tube sockets pink.  I suspect Pro Gold won't have this issue since it is mean to be a protective coating rather than a cleaner.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #10,835 of 42,298
Just to report back, I received the DacMagic today, and I'm really happy with it. It's definitely an improvement from my Asus Xonar STX (even though I upgraded the opamps on it). Also it is neutral just like I wanted, I did not change the sound signature (so no need to roll tubes or adjust anything from my current setup). 

Also I was happy to see that it was black so that it will match my WA22, on pictures the DacMagic looked grey. Really nice build quality, the only detail I did not like about it is the cheap looking PSU 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #10,836 of 42,298
Thanks very much for the informative nature of this post! Looking forward to using Deoxit and/or Pro Gold on the tubes I will roll on my in-transit WA6SE. Exciting!

Quote:
I do the same thing as Skylab:  finest grade of steel wool you can find, followed by (in my case) De-Oxit, which is a similar product to ProGold that is meant to break up oxidation on very tarnished metal surfaces.  Pull a little wool off the bunch in the same direction it was wound and roll it in your hand until it forms a long thin strip.  I loop it around the pins and just work back and forth really fast which gets the insides, then fold the piece of wool and go over the tops of the pins second.  You'll have a brilliant shine when done, but be careful to get ALL the steel wool bits off afterwards.  If a piece is touching two pins when you put it in the amp it will cause a short.  I clean mine with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol as a final step, after using a Q-tip to apply de-oxit.  I've found it to be a bad idea to leave the de-oxit on the pins because it stains the tube sockets pink.  I suspect Pro Gold won't have this issue since it is mean to be a protective coating rather than a cleaner.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #10,837 of 42,298

Quote:
It was the adapters.  The contact seemed to be a bit loose on one of them.  I didn't suspect it at first because this is the first time I've had trouble with them and they use the same socket pins as the Woo itself.  I switched back to my old adapters which are a bear to put tubes into and so far there is no static, so I'm thinking that was it.  It couldn't have been the pins, they are flawlessly clean.  These tubes came to me in very clean condition even before I cleaned them.  I've been thinking of posting a picture in the 6SN7 thread, because this particular style of Sylvania seems awfully low on everybody's radar, but I'm utterly smitten with them.  They sound incredible.

Radar ~

I love a low-flying, radar evading audio find... tubes especially! Would like to have a closer look at the Syl's this autumn (photograph?) Also, thanks for the method to your madness on pin cleaning. To date, I've been merely topical about cleaning but not yet nitty-gritty.

Now armed with knowledge and confidence!

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #10,838 of 42,298

Quote:

Your old adapters with the Anphenol sockets might be a bear to put the tubes in but they always have a good contact.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #10,840 of 42,298

Quote:

Please do, I believe that I am subscribed to that thread and I for one would like to see them. I would like to compare them to my Bad Boys. I've read descriptions of various versions of these tubes but not seen many photos.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #10,841 of 42,298

Quote:

Please do, I believe that I am subscribed to that thread and I for one would like to see them. I would like to compare them to my Bad Boys. I've read descriptions of various versions of these tubes but not seen many photos.

In the studio with Sylvania ~

Shoot it, Xcalibur255... shoot it!
popcorn.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #10,843 of 42,298
Scroll back a page or three and there is a discussion of the DacMagc and the Matrix Mini-i.

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #10,844 of 42,298

Quote:
hello im looking to upgrade my xonar st

what you guys recommend in range 350-450 $? im leaning toward dacmagic
my current setup: xonar st > woo 3 > dt990 (600ohm)

im gonna order tomorrow, and thanks  
smile.gif

I received my Matrix Mini-I earlier this week. I think it is one of the best values I have found for audio. I highly recommend it

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #10,845 of 42,298

Quote:

Your old adapters with the Anphenol sockets might be a bear to put the tubes in but they always have a good contact.

Yeah, that replacement socket you sent me definitely grips well, but I'm always worried about breaking base glue because of how strongly I have to yank when removing them, even when gripping only by the base.  The teflon socket adapters have been great, this is the very first time I've ever had a tube be finicky with them and I've had a dozen pairs in them now.  Nothing is perfect all the time, and I imagine it is just a case of that one pin on the Sylvania tube being just thin enough to cause an intermittent issue.  Certainly not the fault of the adapters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back