Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #10,652 of 42,298

Quote:
What rob did not tell you he bought out the Inventory from Uncle Ned at triode Electronics he cherry picked it before Ned sold the joint
wink_face.gif

Ha! Yeah, if that were true that would have actually been MORE sane
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #10,654 of 42,298

Quote:
I have been using exclusively the Sylvania 6SN7W driver tube (the tall bottle, black base variety).  I have always thought of 5998's as being less "tubey" than 6AS7G's.  But anyway, see below...

Here's the thing - I have LOTS of amps that I like with the LCD-2.  I am actually thrilled that the WA22 sounds as good as it does with the HD-800.  I don't want to optimize the WA22 for the LCD-2.  The Decware, Leben, and Trafomatic already favor the LCD-2.  I'm going to keep the WA22 optimized for the HD-800.  Maybe then I will actually listen to them sometimes
biggrin.gif

Great!  I think what some of us are trying to say though, is that since a lot of folks rightfully put a lot of weight into your opinions (myself included), that the WA22 can be tubed to enjoy with other headphones besides the HD800 or other bright cans.  Yes, it will always be a warm sounding amp but also very versatile in that it responds well to tube rolling. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #10,655 of 42,298

Quote:
Great!  I think what some of us are trying to say though, is that since a lot of folks rightfully put a lot of weight into your opinions (myself included), that the WA22 can be tubed to enjoy with other headphones besides the HD800 or other bright cans.  Yes, it will always be a warm sounding amp but also very versatile in that it responds well to tube rolling. 

Sure, and anyone reading my posts will see I have qualified my comments repeatedly and often with statements such as "That is my early impression, subject to change with more experience and different tubes." and "again I caution that these comments are only with the current set of tubes" (both exact quotes by me) .  Unless I were to refrain entirely from posting, it's pretty hard for me to qualify what I am saying any better...

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #10,657 of 42,298

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, if that were true that would have actually been MORE sane
tongue_smile.gif

That's the right word Rob.... Your collection is borderline insanity!!
eek.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #10,658 of 42,298

Quote:
Hmmmm...perhaps you have not been on head-fi long enough to have seen my "tube closet"...this is about 1/3 of my collection
eek.gif

I think I've mentioned this before ... or at least thought about it: this photo would make an excellent 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle. 2000-piece? Nice collection, Skylab.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #10,659 of 42,298

Quote:
Hmmmm...perhaps you have not been on head-fi long enough to have seen my "tube closet"...this is about 1/3 of my collection
eek.gif

I have not seen your collection before!   Holy ****!    These collections remind me of wine cellars!.      You should write a book detailing the particular sound of each type of tube.   

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #10,660 of 42,298
The WA22 can be tube rolled to sound great with the LCD2s. The combo I like the most so far is driver > RCA 6CG7/6fq7, Rectifier > EML5u4g, Power > Sylvania 7236. No impression of being too soft or dark... but instead very lively and resilient... this combo will definitely not be suitable for the Senns HD800

I'm currently running in this combo Rectifer > 1950s Mullard CV378, Driver > Mazda 6CG7, Power > Sylvania 7236.... This combo (after 15 hrs run in.. not enough) is a little darker sounding and requires me to use the "Hi" setting for it to sound acceptible....Bass a little thicker and perhaps a touch too over powering

My only reference point is the solid state HPA-2 outputs of my Benchmark DAC1Pre and my Senn HD650.

I did Audition the HD800 with the WA22 for about 3 hrs at the shop with this combo: Rectifier > Sophia Princess 274b, Driver > GE6sn7gtb, Power > Sylvania 7236. The HD800 was too bright for me and gave me ear fatigue.

Maybe I've been too use to the HD650 sound as that was what I had before deciding between the HD800 and the LCD-2.

My first impression of the LCD-2 was it was too dark for me ( that was with the old stock cable)... However, on the second listening session, Audeze had provided their replacement stock cable which did open up the top end a little (they provided this free replacement around Feb-Mar 2011). Then subsequent tube rolling and running in has got me to the point of really enjoying the WA22 and LCD2 combo.

I'm yet to upgrade the stock cable.... I'm considering the ALO-adio Silver/copper chain male.... That should brighted up the top end even more.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #10,661 of 42,298

it is not the best picture , it is taken with my mobile.

all powercords and oulet strip are from www. hifi-tuning.com

today i bougt 3 meters of wireworld powercord. waiting for 4 pcs of oyaide.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #10,662 of 42,298

Quote:
I have not seen your collection before!   Holy ****!    These collections remind me of wine cellars!.

Tonight, Rob will be serving Tung Sol 5998s 1961
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #10,663 of 42,298
ROFL!!!  That is too funny.  Nice one
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #10,665 of 42,298
BTW I tried the WA22 with the HE-6, just for grins.  It does a decent enough job, really.  I wouldn't formally recommend it, since I know the HE-6 like more power than the WA22 delivers, ideally, but the fact is the sound was pretty darned good, and the tonal match between them and my current tube set was also very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back