Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #10,622 of 42,298
@ Golfnutz - my pleasure!

@ MikeMalter - I find my Audio by Van Alstine DAC sounds a little better than the Oppo in general, when using the Oppo as a transport to feed the va versus the Oppo's own analog outs. However, the AVA is smoother and a little lusher, and so there again, probably not ideal for the WA22, although I did not try the AVA with the WA22 so far. But the AVA is a $2K DAC, and the Oppo is pretty killer for all it does and it's $1K price. I have not tried it's network interface yet, no. I also plan to hook up a HD full of hi-res FLACs to it at some point, which you can do, and is very cool.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #10,624 of 42,298
Boy I sure wish I still had the HE-500 loaner, so I could actually answer that question. Power wise should be fine, and in terms of the match of sonics, I think it would be OK there too, although it's possible that it would push the HE-500 into slightly soft land. But this is just conjecture since I did not have them at the same time, unfortunately.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #10,625 of 42,298

Quote:
Yeah that's the key finding for me so far - plenty of power for the LCD-2 - but at least with the tubes I am using now, not an ideal sonic pairing.  I think the Trafomatic and Decware both sound better with the LCD-2 than the WA22, and they are slightly cheaper (though in the same basic price range).

OTOH, the WA22 is much better for the HD-800 than either the Trafomatic or Decware.

How did you feel about the WA2 with the LCD's?

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #10,626 of 42,298
I actually liked that combo better, in spite of the fact that the WA22 has more power for the LCD-2. But I liked the sonic match better between the WA2 and the LCD-2.

But again I caution that these comments are only with the current set of tubes, and also that I don't listen all that loudly, so my power needs are a little lower than for some folks.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #10,627 of 42,298
Yeah, I figured I should ask because I know you had them fairly recently. 

Soft land worries me. I'm looking to go balanced with them and I was hoping the WA22 would be my answer. Might look at something else with a little more aggressive sound.

Quote:
Boy I sure wish I still had the HE-500 loaner, so I could actually answer that question. Power wise should be fine, and in terms of the match of sonics, I think it would be OK there too, although it's possible that it would push the HE-500 into slightly soft land. But this is just conjecture since I did not have them at the same time, unfortunately.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #10,628 of 42,298
Oh, and just to put some perspective on my comments above - the LCD-2 with the Leben, Decware, or Trafomatic is a much better overall combo, for me personally, than the HD-800 + WA22. Again, just for me personally.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #10,629 of 42,298
L.A. Area ~

Any Audio Engineering/Editor types among my Woo mates here? PM me for info. (position - L.A. area).
(Just looking after my people..)

beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #10,631 of 42,298
I would think this wouldn't be an ideal match considering it is an OTL amp. 

Damping factors with orthos are not really the same as with dynamic headphones. Kevin said it best a few months back.

OTLs and low impedance dynamic headphones can be problematic. But surprisingly the WA2 is great with my Ed. 8s (and with my now sold RS1i too). But Jack has a few tricks that he implements (like the power tube section being paralleled to give more power output). But orthos are very different beasts based on how their drivers move and are driven.

Please feel free to PM kwkarth for a better explanation than I could give (sorry just a chemical engineer here...Kevin's the EE).

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #10,632 of 42,298

Quote:
I actually liked that combo better, in spite of the fact that the WA22 has more power for the LCD-2. But I liked the sonic match better between the WA2 and the LCD-2.

But again I caution that these comments are only with the current set of tubes, and also that I don't listen all that loudly, so my power needs are a little lower than for some folks.

To me, the 5998 is a VERY euphonic tube in the WA22.  I think your perceptions will change some once you try the 7236.  It becomes much more neutral.  Also, possibly one of the sylvanias for 6sn7.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #10,633 of 42,298
I am looking for a power tube and am struggling to decide between a 5998 and a sylvania 7236.  Several posts ago it was agreed that the 5998 was a bit noisy.  Is the 7236 by Sylvania equally noisy?

My WA3 (with stock tubes) has some background noise at higher volumes.  Its not even noticeable on most of the music I listen to, but some classical pieces featuring pauses are basically ruined.  

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #10,634 of 42,298

Quote:
Yeah, I understand why.  It's mellow, man!  I know why Woo says it is "Surreal" in terms of "Euphonic".  The WA22 is lusher even than the WA2, it seems to me.

Quote:
It means I like it better with the HD-800 than I do with the LCD-2.  It's a little colored, yes, but not in a way that sticks out of is in any way dissonant with the music.  And for the HD-800, it's actually just what the doctor ordered!  Best I have heard them.  But it's funny, if I had owned the WA22 as my only amp, I could see how I might have been one of those people who thinks the HD-800 is right on and the LCD-2 is too soft/dark.  But since I have many, many other amps, I know that this is the WA22 that has this character, and that it's actually balancing the HD-800's brightness, which is great for the big Senn, but doesn't work well for the LCD-2.

That is my early impression, subject to change with more experience and different tubes.  It's already been suggested the 7236 is a better tube choice for the LCD-2, and perhaps it may well be.

Thanks for sharing your impressions so far. It makes sense that being the most euphonic of Woo's amps that tube selection with the WA22 would have a bigger impact on the sound than with any of Woo's other amps, so don't be so sure about it's character just yet! For this reason I think you will have a blast rolling tubes for the WA22 after seeing the scope of your tube selection. For tube novices like myself the experience has been a bit daunting, but very rewarding just the same. Looking forward to your comparison with the 7236.

Quote:

But again I caution that these comments are only with the current set of tubes
, and also that I don't listen all that loudly, so my power needs are a little lower than for some folks.

I have been saying for a while now that it is very hard to find a tube combo that will optimize the sound of both the HD800 and the LCD-2 because of their seemingly diametrically opposed sound signatures. I think I have finally nailed it for the LCD-2 with my current combo, even though there is probably still room for improvement. According to that Positive Feedback WA22/HD800 review the same combo works really well with the HD800 as well (Could This Be the Ultimate Headphone System?), so I would really like to give them another try to hear the HD800 for myself with them. 
So keep on rolling Rob, I think you may find what you need to make the LCD-2 sing out of the WA22 as well 
o2smile.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #10,635 of 42,298

Quote:
Yeah that's the key finding for me so far - plenty of power for the LCD-2 - but at least with the tubes I am using now, not an ideal sonic pairing.  I think the Trafomatic and Decware both sound better with the LCD-2 than the WA22, and they are slightly cheaper (though in the same basic price range).

OTOH, the WA22 is much better for the HD-800 than either the Trafomatic or Decware.

Rob, is this exclusively with the Sylvania VT-231 drivers shown in your photo, or have you tried any other drivers yet? 

Actually, it just donned on me that you also own a WA6, which brings me to an important question:  how much more lush is the WA22 compared to the WA6?  Every thing I have done since getting the WA6 has been intended to mellow it out so it pairs better with my current headphones, but my fear is these efforts when applied to the WA22 might end up being too much.... especially when the K701 eventually leaves the picture.  Looking at my 6SN7 collection many of them lean to the dark side so to speak.  I sort of bet the farm on the 5998 as well, a calculated but seemingly mild risk on my part. 

If the LCD-2 sounds detailed but simply dark in the treble range that would be right up my alley for the most part.  Not enough treble really kills piano but for everything else I seem to prefer it.  On the other hand if it seems to make the headphone sound soft and undetailed then that would worry me much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back