Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #10,606 of 42,298

General, I would use manual setting and go from there with no flash. I would use a bit of room light to fill in the picture a bit. I can control the room light by switching on different amounts of lights in the room. Experiment a bit is the key here. 

Quote:
While in complete darkness, should I manually set the seconds or place the camera on in Auto Mode and let it chose the exposure itself? I guess I can experiment.
Thanks Eee Pee and john57.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #10,607 of 42,298
beerchug.gif
 Enjoy the amp, as I did like it, but it really wasn't what I was looking for in the particular setup it was in.  Unfortunately I wish I had a pair of HD-800s to have listened to it on.

Quote:
The good news is (and Wedge I hope you are reading this) is that the hum is now basically gone, and it would seem that this was an issue of tube run in. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #10,608 of 42,298

Quote:
I do feel it's all about psychoacoustics, the human thing that you refer to. The same piece of music will sound different to me, depending on time of day, my mood, my alchoholic content
beerchug.gif
, etc.

When tube rolling, I often doubt my senses because of this. Things like expectation bias...you know, you just bought a pair (or 2) of Mullard ECC32s, and they sound better than TS BGRPs I think?
wink_face.gif

Quote:
grokit said:

I used two different pairs of Chatham 2399 which are the same tube and have never had a noise problem on either impedance setting with my WA22.

Agreed. It's all about one's ch'i/qi, or prana, at the time of listening.

Quote:
For me, the two E's (Emotions & Electrons) makes for a fascinating Explanation. With the former, same day experiences matter - what kind of day one is having. Additionally, an experience one might have had seven days prior may help or hurt their ability to emotionally connect to the music in the here and now.

With the latter, electrons like an environment at rest. Wanna test that theory? Make your swaps, move your cables, bend your cables, rearrange your gear.. and put it all back like it was. It won't sound like it did or be at its best until time has a chance to settle things.

Or buy a new cable that has a factory burn-in recommendation of 100 hours. Excited, one cooks it on their solid-state gear 24/7 - smiling at day 5. And they note a change in sound signature. Well, depending on the cable's design and materials used, it's going to need a certain amount of time to settle, no matter how fast one arrived at the total hours of run-time recommended. So, one may see another change yet again, say 21 days after installment. 

These are my views from my own experiences inside my listening room. Admittedly, while I have an open mind, I'm also hungry. And may have a different view on a full belly. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I agree with this 100%. Every single time I listen to a combination of equipment, it sounds a little different to me than the last time -- and it should, because the combination of mood, music and environment creates a unique context for listening that can never be duplicated exactly.
As a result, I sometimes look back on comments I've made here in the past and think, man, that must have been a three-Scotch evening for me to have felt that way...
beerchug.gif

I did not say it very well.  What I mean is that I'll swap a tube and maybe the sound is really harsh and after a few hours I'll change it and when I go back to the baseline I like, everything sounds harsh for a while.  Generally that that will last for the rest of the day.

But, I do understand the psychoacoustic component of listening.  Like after cleaning cable ends and listening I'll think that wow this sounds better and really I'm in a good mood because I cleaned and organized.  That kind of a thing.  This is a little different for me.  Anyway, just a thought.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #10,609 of 42,298

Quote:
Enjoy the amp, as I did like it, but it really wasn't what I was looking for in the particular setup it was in.  Unfortunately I wish I had a pair of HD-800s to have listened to it on.

Yeah, I understand why.  It's mellow, man!  I know why Woo says it is "Surreal" in terms of "Euphonic".  The WA22 is lusher even than the WA2, it seems to me.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #10,610 of 42,298

Quote:
Yeah, I understand why.  It's mellow, man!  I know why Woo says it is "Surreal" in terms of "Euphonic".  The WA22 is lusher even than the WA2, it seems to me.

So what does this mean? Good, bad, neither? You like it, don't like it? Sounds colored, doesn't sound colored? Good driver compression, too soft? etc.

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #10,611 of 42,298
It means I like it better with the HD-800 than I do with the LCD-2.  It's a little colored, yes, but not in a way that sticks out of is in any way dissonant with the music.  And for the HD-800, it's actually just what the doctor ordered!  Best I have heard them.  But it's funny, if I had owned the WA22 as my only amp, I could see how I might have been one of those people who thinks the HD-800 is right on and the LCD-2 is too soft/dark.  But since I have many, many other amps, I know that this is the WA22 that has this character, and that it's actually balancing the HD-800's brightness, which is great for the big Senn, but doesn't work well for the LCD-2.

That is my early impression, subject to change with more experience and different tubes.  It's already been suggested the 7236 is a better tube choice for the LCD-2, and perhaps it may well be.

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #10,612 of 42,298

Quote:
What W4S forthcoming DAC?  Box?

W4S told me they weren't at liberty to provide details circumventing their own product announcement. But did want to give me a heads up on projects in the pipeline that are coming out. My indications from these exchanges: an entry level DAC; perhaps a new Pre-amp, Integrated amp, Power amp. Or a new Digital device that ... (Silent One keeps his word and remains silent).

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #10,613 of 42,298

Quote:
It means I like it better with the HD-800 than I do with the LCD-2.  It's a little colored, yes, but not in a way that sticks out of is in any way dissonant with the music.  And for the HD-800, it's actually just what the doctor ordered!  Best I have heard them.  But it's funny, if I had owned the WA22 as my only amp, I could see how I might have been one of those people who thinks the HD-800 is right on and the LCD-2 is too soft/dark.  But since I have many, many other amps, I know that this is the WA22 that has this character, and that it's actually balancing the HD-800's brightness, which is great for the big Senn, but doesn't work well for the LCD-2.

That is my early impression, subject to change with more experience and different tubes.  It's already been suggested the 7236 is a better tube choice for the LCD-2, and perhaps it may well be.

That's interesting. I get the impression you're basically agreeing with what everyone else has commented about the WA22/HD800 combination. The nice thing about this amp is the consistency it brings to the consumer, especially someone who is considering making a new purchase (like you did - you probably had a good idea how it was going to sound even before you turned it on). It's also good to know that there are other options too, especially since ones HP is not somebody else cup of tea.

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #10,614 of 42,298

Quote:

Rob, thanks for your initial impressions. Many of us have assumed that the WA22's extra power would make it a more suitable choice for the LCD-2s than the WA2... but it's good to be reminded that real-world experience trumps assumptions every time. Power and specs only tell us so much.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #10,615 of 42,298

Till now, it was little better than built-in headamp in DAC1, but now... Well, I have a few hour on them but I have to say that this is what I was looking for. Great dynamic, really huge soundstage, perfect datail, very smooth. For the first time I am completely satisfied with my woo. My 804S / K1K sound so real.  
blink.gif

-- EML 5U4G > ECC32 > EAT 300B

Of course, I have to try my other drivers - tung sol VT231 and sylvania 6sn7w...

If you like to have more info let me know.

*edit 03-jun-11
Forget Shuguang 300B-Z. No match for EAT 300B. EAT beats Shuguang in every aspect. I have around 500 hours on Shuguang, less than 10 hours on EAT. I am looking forward to hear EAT  after 100h burn-in period. 
Quote:
Please post you impressions of the EAT. I have a pair of EML 300B Mesh in my WA5-LE and normally roll a pair of Mullard ECC32, Brimard CV1988 Black Base/Black Glass and Sylvania 6SN7WGT Brown Base/Chrome top at the driver position and EML 5U4G Mesh, Mullard GZ37 or Brimar 5R4GY at the rectifier position so I am looking for a second a pair of 300B.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #10,616 of 42,298

Quote:
Rob, thanks for your initial impressions. Many of us have assumed that the WA22's extra power would make it a more suitable choice for the LCD-2s than the WA2... but it's good to be reminded that real-world experience trumps assumptions every time. Power and specs only tell us so much.

Yeah that's the key finding for me so far - plenty of power for the LCD-2 - but at least with the tubes I am using now, not an ideal sonic pairing.  I think the Trafomatic and Decware both sound better with the LCD-2 than the WA22, and they are slightly cheaper (though in the same basic price range).

OTOH, the WA22 is much better for the HD-800 than either the Trafomatic or Decware.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #10,617 of 42,298

Quote:
Yeah that's the key finding for me so far - plenty of power for the LCD-2 - but at least with the tubes I am using now, not an ideal sonic pairing.  I think the Trafomatic and Decware both sound better with the LCD-2 than the WA22, and they are slightly cheaper (though in the same basic price range).

OTOH, the WA22 is much better for the HD-800 than either the Trafomatic or Decware.

Skylab,

Thanks for sharing your impressions of headphones.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #10,618 of 42,298
My pleasure!  I should mention - source is an Oppo BDP-95.  I have found it to be a very good sounding, very neutral disc player, and importantly for the WA22, it has balanced outs.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #10,619 of 42,298

Quote:
My pleasure!  I should mention - source is an Oppo BDP-95.  I have found it to be a very good sounding, very neutral disc player, and importantly for the WA22, it has balanced outs.

Have you had the opportunity to compare DAC output between the 95 and other DACS?

Also, are you using the network interface?  How does that work?

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #10,620 of 42,298

Quote:

Skylab, I totally forgot to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back